‘08 edge starting issues

2008 ford edge, slow to start sometimes like it’s almost dead, sometimes doesn’t turn over at all but it doesn’t click like the battery is dead, will also start just fine some of the time. When it does start slow the over head lights and the hatch lights will come on and the hatch will click like it’s closing. The first time it wouldn’t start at all I sat for awhile and tried again and it started right up. Also some times a break system check (I could be wrong on the exact message that pops up) pops up but will go off almost immediately. We have changed the fuse for the OBD censor and it worked great for about 2 days, not one issue at all. Came out to start it on the third morning and it’s all happening again but this time the fuse is not blown. Went and had starter, battery and alternator tested and all were fine. Also hasn’t shown any codes which we have checked multiple times. Also a random issue that happened about a week ago, as I was exiting the interstate it didn’t want to shift when I accelerated. I pulled over, turned it off, tried to go again and same issue. It lasted about 10 minutes then just took off like nothing happened and hasn’t happened since. I’m not sure if it’s related to the starting issue. Any suggestions?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/26/2023 at 8:35 AM, timicutbirth@yahoo.com said:

2008 ford edge

...slow to start...sometimes doesn’t turn over

...When it does start slow the over head lights and the hatch lights will come on and the hatch will click

...some times a break system check pops up but will go off

...changed the fuse for the OBD censor and it worked great for about 2 days...happening again but this time the fuse is not blown

...starter, battery and alternator tested and all were fine

...hasn’t shown any codes which we have checked multiple times

...issue that happened about a week ago...exiting the interstate it didn’t want to shift when I accelerated

...pulled over, turned it off, tried to go again and same issue...10 minutes then...like nothing happened

Electronics\computers in these vehicles can do strange\random things if system voltages are low.

Age of Battery; typical BatteryLife is 5~6yrs ?

Terminals+Cables at Battery+MegaFuse+Alternator+Starter; should be CleanShinyMetal+Tight ?

SerpBelt & Pulleys; should be AlignedWithNoWobble+BeltNotWorn+Tight ?

Voltage at Battery; should be 12.2V+ Engine Off+Cold, 14V+ Engine IdlingCold, 13.5V+ Engine IdlingWarm ?

Alternator Load\ChargeTest:

* Engine IdlingWarm

* AC On+Blower@High

* HeadLights OnBright

* DoorOpen With InteriorLightsOn

* Voltage at Battery should be 13v+; if not then Alternator is not properly Generating\Regulating?

Make sure Trans ATF level is good on DipStick, check with Trans WarmedUp & Engin IdlingInPark.

Rcommend every 33kMiles\4Yrs, draining Trans ATF & refill of fresh MerconV;

personal preference for ATF is MerconV compatible RedLine# HighTemp or AmsOil# SSMV;

drain plug is easy to get at on bottom front of the 6f50 Transmissions;

the "LifeTime Per Ford" Filter is internal to Trans & thus not easily changed.

Edited by DILLARD000