Added Ford/Pioneer NAV to '08 EDGE

Hey all!! New to the forum, new to the Ford Edge. Just picked up an '08 & LOVE it. Great forum here and very informative.

My Edge had NO navigation. So, I picked up a NAV unit. Ford/Pioneer (Ford P/N 8T4T-18K931-BA) I got the unit, the NAV antenna, the NAV DVD & user manual. This is an '08 unit (chrome around the Volume & Load/Eject knobs & has the "phone" button in the left bank of hard keys. It was pre-programmed for Sirus & everything works great including my exisitng Sirius & the Sub is working too . . . .

except . . . . . SYNC

If i re-instal the original (NO-NAV) unit SYNC comes back to life. I'm presuming that there is a communincation problem between the two (the NAV unit & SYNC) am I correct or do I have my head up my a_ _?

Anyone know how this is resolved? Lemme guess . . . gotta take it to FOMOCO? That's what the www.syncmyride.com "guru" told me. I have no issue with that as my dealer is kewl however I'd feel better about myself having gotten it resolved myself (with a little technical assist from the Edge forum . . . of course)

Thanks in advance & GREAT site!

Mike

Hey all!! New to the forum, new to the Ford Edge. Just picked up an '08 & LOVE it. Great forum here and very informative.

My Edge had NO navigation. So, I picked up a NAV unit. Ford/Pioneer (Ford P/N 8T4T-18K931-BA) I got the unit, the NAV antenna, the NAV DVD & user manual. This is an '08 unit (chrome around the Volume & Load/Eject knobs & has the "phone" button in the left bank of hard keys. It was pre-programmed for Sirus & everything works great including my exisitng Sirius & the Sub is working too . . . .

except . . . . . SYNC

If i re-instal the original (NO-NAV) unit SYNC comes back to life. I'm presuming that there is a communincation problem between the two (the NAV unit & SYNC) am I correct or do I have my head up my a_ _?

Anyone know how this is resolved? Lemme guess . . . gotta take it to FOMOCO? That's what the www.syncmyride.com "guru" told me. I have no issue with that as my dealer is kewl however I'd feel better about myself having gotten it resolved myself (with a little technical assist from the Edge forum . . . of course)

Mike

I think the dealer is your only option. I have a feeling that you need to have the nav programmed to your car, not just pre-programmed.

except . . . . . SYNC

Mike

I was going to do the same thing with my 08 Edge with Sync (no nav0. I called Ford to make sure Sync would work, they said yes but rewiring is involved to get Sync to work with adding a Ford nav unit after the fact. They wanted $2300 for everything. That made my decision easier:) Not. Keep me posted on your progress. Did you but it off Ebay, I was looking at those. I wonder how much Ford would charge for programming/install only.

I was going to do the same thing with my 08 Edge with Sync (no nav0. I called Ford to make sure Sync would work, they said yes but rewiring is involved to get Sync to work with adding a Ford nav unit after the fact. They wanted $2300 for everything. That made my decision easier:) Not. Keep me posted on your progress. Did you but it off Ebay, I was looking at those. I wonder how much Ford would charge for programming/install only.

If they already had sync, which they did and the radio is compatible with sync then no wiring is involved. I still think programming is in order. Same goes for you. If you had sync already then the dealer is wrong. No wiring should be involved.

If they already had sync, which they did and the radio is compatible with sync then no wiring is involved. I still think programming is in order. Same goes for you. If you had sync already then the dealer is wrong. No wiring should be involved.

Correct. The wiring is already there ~ IF ~ you already have SYNC, etc. w/steering wheel audio controls. The caveat is that the unit needs to have a part number beginning w/ 8T4T_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ which will have a "phone" hard key on the front controls (and also the chrome trim rings around "Power/Volume" & "Load/Eject". Everything is working, Sirius, USB/iPod, Bluetooth, my phone directory, the sub and all the steering wheel controls (except SYNC voice commands).

As previously mentioned, and I seem to have confirmed (both here on the forum & also w/my dealer) it is a programming issue that needs to be resolved when the units are swapped. In essence, the two units won't talk (audio & SYNC) until the programming takes place. I have an appointment this Saturday morning so I'll update after that happens.

Mike

Correct. The wiring is already there ~ IF ~ you already have SYNC, etc. w/steering wheel audio controls. The caveat is that the unit needs to have a part number beginning w/ 8T4T_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ which will have a "phone" hard key on the front controls (and also the chrome trim rings around "Power/Volume" & "Load/Eject". Everything is working, Sirius, USB/iPod, Bluetooth, my phone directory, the sub and all the steering wheel controls (except SYNC voice commands).

As previously mentioned, and I seem to have confirmed (both here on the forum & also w/my dealer) it is a programming issue that needs to be resolved when the units are swapped. In essence, the two units won't talk (audio & SYNC) until the programming takes place. I have an appointment this Saturday morning so I'll update after that happens.

Mike

Did you get your Nav and Sync working together yet? I am still getting mixed messages whether this can be done.

Thanks

Mike

Here is a direct quote from my Ford Dealer today regarding getting Sync to work when adding a OEM nav unit if you already had a radio with Sync:

" I have contacted ford radio installers and they have told me that they can put a factory navigation in your edge and keep the synch functions, but they have to rewire the vehicles radio wires and add some relays into it, do you allready have the navigation unit?

--

Erik Peterson

parts manager

Any thoughts?

Here is a direct quote from my Ford Dealer today regarding getting Sync to work when adding a OEM nav unit if you already had a radio with Sync:

" I have contacted ford radio installers and they have told me that they can put a factory navigation in your edge and keep the synch functions, but they have to rewire the vehicles radio wires and add some relays into it, do you allready have the navigation unit?

--

Erik Peterson

parts manager

Any thoughts?

Well . . . my Edge spent the day at the dealer today and I drove a loaner on the house. They gave it the college try but were unsuccessful. It was in for 7 hours plus and a portion of that time was with two techs. One was on the phone with Ford getting instructions for IDS while the other was downloading and attempting to upload to my vehicle. It seems that IDS does not support it. Which, raised a BIG concern with the dealer when I asked them: "What would you do if you had a vehicle on the showroom floor or your lot with SYNC and every option but NAV that the customer wanted & you cannot simply replace the radio and have it all work? That would seem to be a useless system that Ford has created." So, they've kept the vehicle for another night/day (tomorrow) and are going to try some "other resources". One of the dealer owners, the sales manager, the service manager & two techs are all involved and convinced it can be done (without re-wiring the vehicle) SO, I am still in process, they're still determined and I'm still driving a free loaner . . . . If it comes to re-wiring I'll not pursue further. . . . I'll trade it in!! LOL

Stay tuned!

Edited by HDedge

Well . . . my Edge spent the day at the dealer today and I drove a loaner on the house. They gave it the college try but were unsuccessful. It was in for 7 hours plus and a portion of that time was with two techs. One was on the phone with Ford getting instructions for IDS while the other was downloading and attempting to upload to my vehicle. It seems that IDS does not support it. Which, raised a BIG concern with the dealer when I asked them: "What would you do if you had a vehicle on the showroom floor or your lot with SYNC and every option but NAV that the customer wanted & you cannot simply replace the radio and have it all work? That would seem to be a useless system that Ford has created." So, they've kept the vehicle for another night/day (tomorrow) and are going to try some "other resources". One of the dealer owners, the sales manager, the service manager & two techs are all involved and convinced it can be done (without re-wiring the vehicle) SO, I am still in process, they're still determined and I'm still driving a free loaner . . . . If it comes to re-wiring I'll not pursue further. . . . I'll trade it in!! LOL

Stay tuned!

I don't know if it will work or if they have tried it, but I have a suggestion. I think they need to upload the info to the IDS from another like vehicle that has nav and sync, then download it to your car. That will prgramm the audio module as if it was in the other car. Its worth a try. Thats what I would do. I had to do that to my car to get the nav to communicate with other modules when I upgraded to the Nav, but I do not have sync. Hope that helps.

I don't know if it will work or if they have tried it, but I have a suggestion. I think they need to upload the info to the IDS from another like vehicle that has nav and sync, then download it to your car. That will prgramm the audio module as if it was in the other car. Its worth a try. Thats what I would do. I had to do that to my car to get the nav to communicate with other modules when I upgraded to the Nav, but I do not have sync. Hope that helps.

druck,

Thank you, but that's exactly what they attempted. There is an '08 on the showroom floor with SYNC, NAV, Sirius, etc in it. They downloaded the appropriate data from it to their IDS and attempted uploading that data to mine. My Edge would not accept it. However, after returning home I removed the NAV unit and replaced it with the original non NAV unit and everything resumed as it had previously. Confirming that they were, in fact, unable to overwrite the existing data.

It seems that Ford did not address the potential marketing issue of a customer wanting to upgrade. Apparently there is a marriage of the components via the software that cannot be divorced. (?)

My dealer is confident that they'll find a solution. For now, I'm waiting . . . .

Mike

i cant confirm this but i am in the process of having the SYNC fixed on my OEM installed NAV unit in my 208 ford edge. I was informed by ford (confirmed by SYNC) that a part is needed to activate the sync and its not just a programming issue. My appointment is next week so i wont find out if it works until then. The part is a cheap switch that needs to be hooked up to the device that relays the communication from the SYNC to the unit. I will post more information if it works over the next week or so.

Mike

I am trying to do the same thing. When I contacted Ford this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your vehicle service issue. SYNC and navigation has to be installed at the factory for both to work together, this is due to special wiring that has to be done to the vehicle, the dealers do not have the necessary tools to do this at the dealership. "

My dealer is telling me the smae thing. I then replied with a second email from which I have heard nothing. I'll keep you posted. I am keeping hope that someone has a solution.

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying to do the same thing. When I contacted Ford this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your vehicle service issue. SYNC and navigation has to be installed at the factory for both to work together, this is due to special wiring that has to be done to the vehicle, the dealers do not have the necessary tools to do this at the dealership. "

My dealer is telling me the smae thing. I then replied with a second email from which I have heard nothing. I'll keep you posted. I am keeping hope that someone has a solution.

Any update yet I just got the Nav deck also an when I plug it in I have no steer control an no Sub an GPS do you need another anntena for GPS? Going to dealer on weekend to talk to them about it.

Any update yet I just got the Nav deck also an when I plug it in I have no steer control an no Sub an GPS do you need another anntena for GPS? Going to dealer on weekend to talk to them about it.

Dymes,

Loss of the steering wheel controls but moreover the loss of SYNC function with the chnage to the NAV unit was my big issue.

I did not lose the subwoofer. Check the part number on the unit but I think that may be the cause of your sub issue. The unit may just not support the subwoofer.

Yes, there is a seperate antenna for the nav and it can mount just above the unit in the same cavity under the dash.

I returned mine to the seller because neither I nor the dealer could get the SYNC to work. BIG faux pas on the part of Ford if my opinion is asked . . .

Good Luck!

Ford dealership void warranty if NAV unit is installed on non nav units with SYNC ...

However if you still wants to do it , you need wiring modification. . You need to remove the wire going to SYNC module from Steering wheel (Phone and Voice only ) and send the signal directly to Nav radio. Also you need to Tee up the microphone signal to Nav radio as well. it's a bit of work but works.. You can do all this by making a jumper at the connector located inside the passenger front left side centre console...

Ford dealership void warranty if NAV unit is installed on non nav units with SYNC ...

However if you still wants to do it , you need wiring modification. . You need to remove the wire going to SYNC module from Steering wheel (Phone and Voice only ) and send the signal directly to Nav radio. Also you need to Tee up the microphone signal to Nav radio as well. it's a bit of work but works.. You can do all this by making a jumper at the connector located inside the passenger front left side centre console...

Mangnuson-Moss Act (1975)

Ford cannot "void" a warranty because a NAV unit was installed . . . .

. . . unless the installation practice &/or the unit itself is PROVEN to have cause the failure for which the warranty claim is filed.

I'd like to have given it a try (your suggestion for re-wiring) but I already returned the unit to the seller and to me it's just not worth it just to have a kewl looking touch screen in the center of the dash. Besides, the NAV function itself is pale in comparison to dedicated NAV manufacturers (Garmin, etc.) I have factory HK NAV on my Ultra Classic and I have a Garmin Zumi installed on the handlebars. . . .

Mangnuson-Moss Act (1975)

Ford cannot "void" a warranty because a NAV unit was installed . . . .

. . . unless the installation practice &/or the unit itself is PROVEN to have cause the failure for which the warranty claim is filed.

I'd like to have given it a try (your suggestion for re-wiring) but I already returned the unit to the seller and to me it's just not worth it just to have a kewl looking touch screen in the center of the dash. Besides, the NAV function itself is pale in comparison to dedicated NAV manufacturers (Garmin, etc.) I have factory HK NAV on my Ultra Classic and I have a Garmin Zumi installed on the handlebars. . . .

I will say this Nav will work an Sync too an not hard to have done some reprograming an jumper wires.Dealer can not do this because of warranty reasons once you touch or alter factory wiring you have voided your electrical warranty there is different wiring that goes in for a nav factory unit.I had my unit done an everything works including sync.Not going to say how so done ask.

• 2 weeks later...
I will say this Nav will work an Sync too an not hard to have done some reprograming an jumper wires.Dealer can not do this because of warranty reasons once you touch or alter factory wiring you have voided your electrical warranty there is different wiring that goes in for a nav factory unit.I had my unit done an everything works including sync.Not going to say how so done ask.

Not going to ask . . . . you.

As I already said; I got rid of the OE Nav unit. It is just not worth the hassle to me. There are far too many superior units on the market (portable & otherwise). I just wanted the OE look.

Several posts back you had no clue how to accomplish it. . . . now you had someone do it for you and it's a BIG secret. I may not want to know but others here might!

All I'm saying is that it is simply not worth it. I use this vehicle everyday and typically for long road trips. The last thing I need is the headache of an inept dealer in East Jabip telling me my warranty is void because he doesn't understand it either and try to charge me an arm and a leg to make it right . . . Nah. Not worth it. I have an awesome Garmin that outperforms the OE unit by far. Until FoMoCo comes up with a better OE system I'm sittin tight.

By the way, do your homework on The Mangnuson-Moss Act (1975)

Edited by HDedge

that's pretty lame.. seek help here, find it elsewhere, then won't let anyone in on it here, but flaunt it to the others.. why even post up you got it squared away if you do not plan to share it? what's the big secret for God's sake? :redcard:

Sorry guys I did mean to come off that way because of where I work there are things I cann't talk about an things I see done so thats why I wuz able to get it done.What I should have said is that it is possible to have done but ford has it set up in away that dealer donn't have access to.The rewiring can be done on your own.but if ford see it can void elec' warranty.

Sorry again

Edited by Dymes

• 2 weeks later...
Guys all you have to do is replace the factory audio steering wheel control and make 2 very simple wire connections. Anyone interested in further info PM me.

how do u do this. i have an 2008 edge with sync and i have a touch radio (factory) and want 2 put it in ,but i want sync 2 work