Clips holding grille to bumper - how to undo them?

I've done my research and I'm getting ready to swap out the grille on my 2017 Edge with a honeycomb grille.  I know I need to remove the bumper to get the best access to the clips holding the grill onto the bumper, but after looking around (doing some last second homework) I got a chance to eyeball the clips.  They sure do look sturdy and secure.  How exactly am I supposed to separate the clips without breaking the bumper clip or the grille clip?  I should've taken a photo, but it looks like the clips push against each other and that you really have to bend the plastic bumper clip to undo them.  Maybe to the the point of breaking.  

How best does someone separate these clips?  Any tools that'd make it much easier?  

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, gibbey531!

The 2017 Edge Workshop Manual description regarding separating the grille from the bumper cover lists no special-tool need and advises to "Release the tabs and remove the upper radiator grille"...

558533139_FrontGrilleRetentionIllustration-2017EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.f5eb3a67dda2f1e1894c1c4fb6a7c505.jpg

In this high-resolution Workshop Manual illustration, it appears that the grille is retained by its twelve J-hooked rectangular posts (red arrows) which insert through slots in the bumper cover and latch over the bumper cover material, comparable in design to the green-arrowed post retaining an applique on the grille's front face...

774949013_FrontGrilleRetentionDetailedIllustration-2017EdgeWorkshopManual.thumb.jpg.7e41a7ce56075aa0c845e7cf72fe52f9.jpg

Hopefully, once you remove the bumper cover assembly, the grille removal will be easier that you expect, since no special tool or replacement clips are specified as necessary in the procedure.

Document download links>

Front Bumper Cover - Removal and Installation - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Front Bumper Cover - Component Removal and Installation - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1