2020 ST RDU fill plug access

CTEdgeST

I am having difficulty accessing the RDU fill plug on my 2020 Edge ST. The frame member immediately behind the RDU is blocking access to the plug by any combination of wrenches, extensions, universals that I have. My plan at this pint is to cut a piece of 3/8 square steel rod to a short enough length to fit into the plug and then using an open end wrench on it to remove the plug. 

My question is whether there is a better way to get at it or is there a special tool that works?

Edited by CTEdgeST
correct title

I just completed this project last weekend (2019 ST)  and yes Ford engineers made access an absolute pain!!  I essentially did what you are thinking with the 3/8" steel rod and used a 3/8" breaker bar from Autozone.  I took the tool apart because you still can't get the angle quite right, put the 3/8" piece in and when it was aligned, I put the bar's "U" section around the piece and turned it a quarter turn at a time.  When it wouldn't line up exactly right, I used an allen key pushed through the hole on the 3/8" piece to turn it enough to get the bar back on.  Fortunately it isn't in there too tight.

https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-sockets-and-wrenches/breaker-bar-tool/p/duralast-3-8in-drive-10in-breaker-bar/565694_0_0

Edited by txaggie
clarification

Thanks TXAggie.  FWIW, the longer bar with the 3/8 end on it from a belt tensioner tool will work as well however it's too long to use unless you have a lift. I considered cutting mine down but decided to try the bar stock approach first. If the plug moves relatively easily, the shorter bar in the belt tool set with the star shaped opening in the end can probably be used to turn it out.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/loaner-serpentine-belt-tool/p/oemtools-serpentine-belt-tool-kit-for-removal-and-installation-of-serpentine-belts-9-piece/298547_0_0

I know exactly what you mean about access on this - I completed this service myself and ordered this tool to finish the job.  Sadly it came after I had finished the job so I didn't actually get to use it this go round - but next time I will.  I am pretty sure it will get the job done in similar fashion to the breaker bar above.

• Like 2

TourGuide, Let us know if that tool works, I hope it does but I am skeptical. I tried to get a 3/8 breaker bar in there yesterday and it wouldn't fit.

I just completed the drain and fill using a 5/8 inch long piece of 3/8 square bar stock, the serpentine belt tool and a 3/8 open end wrench. It didn't take too much effort to get the plug turning so I am sure that I could have just started with the 3/8 inch open end wrench.

RDU_fill_plug_tool_A.jpg

RDU fill plug tool_B.jpg

• Like 2