Scraping noise from intermediate shaft/PTU after driveshaft replacement on other side

Working on the wife's 08 Edge AWD. Had a leaky driver's side axle seal and a vibration, which I assumed was related to the axle shaft. Replaced the seal and installed a new axle shaft, since it was already out. Also drained the transmission fluid since it hadn't been done since we owned the car and some would be lost anyways when the shaft was removed. All went well (so I thought) and the leak was resolved. Now I'm getting an intermittent scraping/chirping sound that I've tracked down to where the passenger's side intermediate shaft enters the PTU. Occurs most when the wheel is slightly turned. Also tends to occur when decelerating and is occasionally accompanied by a light vibration, like when you drive over the warning strip on the fogline of the freeway. Never noticed it before working on the driver's side axle, but can't figure out what I might have done to cause it. 

Edited by Jeff Crowder
wrong year

2 hours ago, CARR142 said:

Have you checked the oil in the PTU?

Not yet. If I understand right, it is separate from the transmission oil. Since this started immediately after I replaced the driver's side axle shaft, I'm assuming they are somehow related. Could just be a coincidence that it's happening now, so I'll check it out.

Suspect its a PTU problem; maybe too late if GearOil has never been changed.

For a 15yo 2008 EdgeAWD, if PTU GearOil has never been checked or changed,

lucky to have gotten this far down the road; should be done at least every 33kMiles\4Yrs.

Personal preference here is every 8kMiles\1Yr refresh PTU 75w140.FullSyn AmsOil.

• Like 1

I pulled the filler plug and felt nothing but sludge from the plug. Stuck in a hose to drain the remaining fluid, but couldn't draw anything but air and sludge. Decided to just top it off and try again during the next oil change. Ended up pumping in at least a quart of 75w-140 gear oil. Took it for a test spin and it's all quiet again. Hopefully there was no major damage done. Going to change it next oil change, then add it to my 30,000 mile routine. Still don't know if it was somehow related to the axle replacement or just a weird coincidence.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Check and change your "lifetime" PTU gear oil.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jeff Crowder said:

...pulled the filler plug...nothing but sludge...couldn't draw anything but air and sludge

...pumping in at least a quart of 75w-140 gear oil...test spin and it's all quiet again...Hopefully there was no major damage

...change it next oil change, then add it to my 30,000 mile routine...everyone. Check and change your "lifetime" PTU gear oil

Hopefully PTU bearings are not shot & will last a bit longer...maybe...maybe not.

May want to prepare mentally+financially to replace PTU.

Amen on routinely renewing the GearOil; I do it now once a year with every other Engin Oil+Filter change.

Highly recommend drilling+tapping & installing a PTU drain with FumotoValve if yours does not already have one.