Drivers side AC not cold

I have a 2008 Ford Edge AWD limited with about 112,000 miles.  My issues is the cold air on the drivers side is about 20 degrees warmer than passenger side.  The air volume is not great but the drivers side is similar to passenger side.  I even have cold air in the back registers.  The heater works great on both sides.  Defrost works as well.  It’s just the AC.  I have replaced the cabin air filter and blower motor.  I verified both actuators operate as expected.  I even removed the drivers side actuator to manually articulate the blend door however the temps didn’t get any colder.  I topped off the refrigerant using an over-the-counter refrigerant kit.  I am running out of ideas…

I kind of think that this is a normal condition.

The airflow to the drivers side is a longer path (besides having the steering column forcing a longer path).

The cold air outlets in the center  instrument panel will always have more volume and colder temps due to their shor length. The outlets at the ends have more length and turns causing more airflow resistance. 

Unless there's barely no airflow at all, I wouldn't be concerned. But it that is the condition, I'd follow the duct out to the outlet (and the outlet itself) for kinks or breaks.

The problem ended up being its was low of Freon.  The repair shop was able to add a lot more than I could with the over the counter stuff.  The air flow is still not great but like you mentioned it has never been very good.  I did add a small fan that attaches to the vent and that really helps.  The Freon really brought the temps down and more in alignment with each side.

Edited by Elrod327

air flow

check the cabin air filter

replacements are often restrictive

we wash ours out when i buy new ones to remove some of the restrictions to flow

and keep ac in RECIRC, vice normal

our 08 had a gold mesh washable filter . wish they had used those in next years of edge

Elrod327 said he replaced the cabin air filter, and blower motor; so they can be eliminated. 

I'd be concerned as to why the refrigerant was low in the first place.

As you didn't state the mechanic diagnosed where the leak was, I hope he put in some dye into the port before adding refrigerant. Inasmuch as the gas is just going to leak out again.

FWIW, the cabin air filters are supposed to be restrictive. The back pressure is  designed into the system. I spray mine with two sprays. 

QwikProducts PuraClean Air Filter Spray Cleaner, Improve Air Filtration Helps Remove Air Pollutants, Dust, and Debris, Increases Capture in Air Filter for Cleaner Air, 12 Ounces https://a.co/d/hakiNLw

And,

WEB Filter Charger, 14 oz https://a.co/d/3Sa3lw5

• Like 1

If there wasn't dye already in the system, hard to pin point leak. Dye should find it next time.

Most common point of refrigerant loss over time are the cores in the Schrader valves. The o-rings on the cores get hard and leak. Best place to look, if leak is slow. After that, drag out the black light or sniffer.

I took mine in for a refrigerant top off last month and had all three cores replaced. (Only down by a couple of ounces, but this is turning out to be a hot summer. Cheap insurance. Didn't charge me as to added it on to some other warranty work I was having done).

• Like 1