2018 Ford Edge Flexplate Notice UGHHHH

Just received a letter from Ford and I guess I'm to assume out of the goodness of their hearts they'll inspect and possibly replace the flexplate, transmission pump, and torque converter on my Edge. However as my vehicle has 182k kilometers on it the work will only be 50% covered. I'm pretty livid as they've known about this issue for years but are only getting around to it now in Canada. At 4 years old it all ready blew the water pump along with several other issues and now this? This vehicle is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever owned! It's like I bought it from Walmart or something. I'm at my wits end and can't believe they're getting away with actually charging us for this and it isn't a recall. Does anyone have any advice for me that has all ready gone through this? I really can't afford a several thousand dollar bill for something that should be a recall to begin with! Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum, baddream !

Past Forum discussion on Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 has focused upon its administration in the United States, so your question is especially appropriate because Edge owners in Canada deserve access to their county's CSP 22N12 documents, which can be downloaded via links at the bottom of this post.

It is unclear from your comments if your 2018 Edge is exhibiting any of the rattle symptoms described in the Owner Letter you received. As the letter indicates, the inspection you mention is appropriate only if the described rattle symptoms are present.

Also unclear is if you purchased your 2018 Edge new, or, if you purchased your 2018 Edge as a used vehicle and you are not the original owner. 

Let's begin by recapping the timing of Ford of Canada communications on CSP 22N12, because Ford is not "just getting around to it in Canada".

• Advance Notice To Dealers - August 26, 2022;
  • Full Dealer Bulletin - September 8, 2022 (Not available for inclusion below);
  • First Owner Letter - September 2022;
  • Full Dealer Bulletin, Supplement #1 - June 16, 2023;
  • Second Owner Letter - June 2023;

One important feature of CSP 22N12 not included in the second Owner letter, due to the timing of its release, is the provision "Until February 28, 2023 all vehicles will have 100% coverage (regardless of time or distance)".

If you are the original owner of the 2018 Edge (in Ford's ownership database) and you did not receive the first Owner letter released in September 2022 -- and your Edge was exhibiting rattle symptoms over the span of time between September 2022 through February 28, 2023, which now prove out to be due to a cracked Flexplate -- then it would be reasonable for you to assert you could have had your Edge repaired prior to the expiration of the 100% coverage time period, and, to ask the dealer to elevate your 100% coverage request if it was initially denied, due to you not being notified by Ford in a timely way (First Owner Letter not received).

Once again, if your Edge presently shows no rattle symptoms as described in the various below-linked Ford of Canada documents, then there's no present need for you to take your Edge in for the CSP 22N12 inspection.

But, you may want to take it in for inspection shortly before your Edge hits the 192,000 kilometers mark -- If you keep it that long.

Document download links>

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 - Canada Advance Notice Dealer Bulletin Letter - August 26 2022.pdf

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 - Canada Owner, First Letter - September 2022.pdf

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 - Canada Full Dealer Bulletin - Supplement #1 - June 16 2023.pdf

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 - Canada Owner, Second Letter - June 2023.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for the response Haz. Yes my vehicle is exhibiting the rattling signs and I am the first owner of the vehicle. As far as I'm aware this is the first notice I've received of this issue so I'll do as you suggest and see if I can get the full coverage because It has been making these noises since 2022 . Fingers crossed.

You mention the letters were sent out in the U.S. in 2022 and I've read those letters and the wording is very different to the wording of the letter I received so I'm not sure if it was dealt with in the U.S. and Canada at the same time but I'll try to find out. Google searches don't bring up anything about this issue in Canada which leads me to assume that the issue is only being dealt with now but I could be wrong. I'll contact Ford Canada and see what they have to say about this. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

It is October 4, 2023 just to make sure comment is relevant. What I have learned in the past week concerning FLEXPLATE.

It is not a recall, they dont replace it until you experience issues, the class actions failed,  my cost at dealer would be $4,800.

My engine was replaced at 74,000 miles in late 2021, my Edge is a 2017. They paid for that replacement as there were so many

complaints and they had stopped using that engine after 2017, so they knew there was an issue.

My current mileage is 143,000, on the odometer, so to me that means 69,000 on the engine. I am over mileage for the 50% assistance.

When the engine was replaced, guess what, they did not replace the flexplate, etc.

I can get no assistance on the flexplate replacement. I have it being repaired by an extremely good transmission shop that

would end up costing under $2,000. I am told the cost for the actual flexplate is $89.00

• Sad 1