Customer Satisfaction 22N12- Flex Plate Crack on 2.0

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

First time posting a question in this forum, so far I have benefited a lot by just reading it :).

So, I received the same 22N12- Flex Plate Crack on 2.0 notice. When I called the dealership to schedule the service appointment I was told they will charge $320 if the flex plate is not cracked.

This can't be legal.

I hear the rattling noise when I start the car sometimes and occasionally the car will shake more than usual, but there is no way to tell for sure the problem is the flex plate.

Anybody having the same experience? What to do?

Thanks,

Vicente.

Vicente: Welcome to the Forum!

You receiving the letter from Ford bearing your Edge's VIN confirms your Edge is eligible for Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12, which first involves an Inspection.

The Inspection procedure performed by dealership personnel is paid-for by Ford because Ford only wants to pay to replace Flex Plates and associated components on eligible vehicles that actually need fixing.  The dealer is performing this inspection for Ford and Ford pays them for this work.  The dealer cannot ask you to pay for this Inspection because Ford is paying them to perform it, as evidenced in this portion of the Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 Dealer Bulletin document...

1325910877_Inspection1.thumb.jpg.67e31bf2b981c8869b654c8cb68861ab.jpg

So, if the outcome of the Inspection activity is your Edge's Flex Plate is not cracked and is not the source of the rattling noise, then Ford pays the Dealer 1.3 Hours of Labor cost.

Ford prescribes the Inspection procedure used by dealership personnel to determine whether the eligible vehicle's Flex Plate is not cracked (Pass Inspection) or if the eligible vehicle's Flex Plate is cracked (Fail Inspection), as described in the Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 Technical Information document...

564976971_Inspection2.thumb.jpg.c078ee1bd49f96a9aef604546775b0f5.jpg386953116_Inspection3.thumb.jpg.5a7d3020118e5f1a8506c39ce479b181.jpg389117952_Inspection4.thumb.jpg.a891027cbe68108462c8c5cce3ea08e8.jpg

You probably noticed the recurring phrase "This article does not apply", which represents a potential jumping-off point from the Ford-paid Inspection if that outcome occurs.

In other words, Ford pays for the Inspection until it's revealed that the rattle noise is not due to a cracked Flex Plate. 

It's possible the person you spoke with at the dealership was quoting you a hypothetical diagnostic fee for noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) symptoms, on the assumption that you want to receive the answer "Where is this noise coming from and what's it going to take to fix it?" instead of just "Is my Edge's Flex Plate cracked?"

I expect if I took our MKX to my dealer in response to a Customer Satisfaction Program notice, and the primary issue wasn't the cause of the symptom, they would probably give me an estimate for fixing what they found -- if not fix it at no cost (within reason), especially if they're receiving 1.3 hours and they jumped out of the Inspection after 20 minutes.

Below are download links to the two documents pictured in this post. Print them, look them over, take them to the dealership and ask the Service Writer to listen to your Edge. If the $320 comes up again, ask them about the 1.3 hours labor that Ford will be paying them. See what they say. Stay calm, ask questions, and if necessary, fall back to what your Owner's Letter suggests...

1472535041_Owner1.thumb.jpg.5bc026cc2ed363d9be28525ba3afdbbf.jpg

Or, just contact a different dealer.

Document download links

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 - Dealer Bulletin.pdf

Customer Satisfaction Program 22N12 - Technical Info.pdf

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

It's worth noting, CSP 22N12 is not described as a one-time inspection program -- it's a one-time repair program.

Meaning, CSP 22N12 is fulfilled after an eligible vehicle's Flexplate, Transmission Fluid Pump, and Torque Converter are replaced, after a rattling-symptom-based inspection reveals the originally installed Flexplate to be cracked, within the 100% coverage/50% coverage/time/distance Program Terms described below...

United States CSP 22N12

255475437_USAProgramTerms-CSP22N12.thumb.jpg.ff7e0cda68d903caef08beeb4e1f89a5.jpg

Canada CSP 22N12

1952270154_CanadaProgramTerms-CSP22N12.thumb.jpg.d4bd7aaf6f4e0039f7db347053e089c7.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 1