2007-No Way to Open Rear Hatch From Inside..Ooops

So get a load of this....I bring home a used 2007 Ford Edge SEL (11k miles) for the wife. Traded in the 2001 Mazda MPV. Love the Edge but a few things really make me wonder. First, not being able to change the navigation system's destination while the car is on motion is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. What if the passenger wants to do it? What was Ford thinking here. How about a disclaimer or the ability to turn that off by pressing a disclaimer button. Gee...I can change the radio anytime I want....I can put on the cruise control and stand on the seat with my head out the Vista roof and steer with my feet...what makes the nav such a big deal. I can somewhat understand the legal issues here....but come on....

But here is the best engineering error......

My wife takes the "college stickers" off the inside rear hatch window of the MPV before I take it to trade it in. When I get home and after the excitment of something new...we all go inside but she decides to put the stickers back on the inside rear hatch window of the Ford Edge. She opens the rear hatch and climbs in only to have the hatch close behind her. She applies the stickers oh so nicely and then realizes she can't get out. No way to open the hatch. 2nd row Easy Fold Seats wont release. As the manual says car has to be in park and the rear hatch has to be open for less than 10 minutes (why is that?) and the 2nd row seats head rest don't come out and having them all the way down won't allow the average size adult to fit between them and the ceiling. So now she's stuck. Luckily she had the keys and hit the panic button....that got our attention inside.

So why would Ford make it that if you close the hatch in the back you have no way out on your own?

And why would they make a Navigation System that you (or more importantly your passenger) can't change while the car is in motion.

Great car guys....but who was the Einstein behind these two fubars? Perhaps they fixed them on the 2008 or 2009....better yet..maybe the Einstein was fired!

OH well...

From the owner's manual:

LIFTGATE

The liftgate area is only intended for cargo, not passengers.

I suppose they could have put a manual release in the cargo area, but then again how many folks lock themselves in the cargo area for more than 10 minutes?

As for the Nav system - only one mfr in the U.S. allows destinations to be input while moving. It's far more distracting to type in an address or look at a map while driving than it is to tune a radio or change the hvac settings. It doesn't matter how many warnings or disclaimers they put on there - someone will sue and probably win due to stupid juries. Ford's solution is to allow verbal input of destinations on the new navigation systems - that's the best solution.

From the owner's manual:

LIFTGATE

The liftgate area is only intended for cargo, not passengers.

I suppose they could have put a manual release in the cargo area, but then again how many folks lock themselves in the cargo area for more than 10 minutes?

Kids lock themselves in the trunks of cars all too often. Thats why new cars require a release on the inside of the trunk. A tradgedy could easily happen here as well. I'm glad someone brought this up.

Hi all. :D While I understand that we all like to have as much "safety" as possible, let me approach this subject for a moment from a different perspective. The Edge does not have a trunk. It has a wide open cargo area. No one is going to be "locked in" and no tragedy is going to occur.

And while it may be awkward or embarrassing for an "average side adult" to climb over the rear seat and headrests, it could certainly be accomplished before they tragically perished in the cargo area. In fact, just for the fun of it (and so I could speak from experience), I just tried it earlier today in my neighbors 2008 Edge (she is a very understanding woman, bless her heart). :angel: After reading this post yesterday, I figured I would give it a shot. I am 6'1' and 210 pounds. While a bit larger than the "average adult" (and not as nimble as I used to be :hysterical: ), I was able to climb over the seat and get out of the vehicle without much difficulty. Might it be embarrassing for the neighbors to see you locking yourself in and climbing around the back of your Edge? Sure. But a tragedy waiting to happen? No, certainly not.

Also, I forgot to check on my neighbors Edge: Doesn't the middle headrest drop down as part of the rear seat center armrest? It shows that on the Ford website pictures for the 2009 Edge. Or maybe that is only on some models/model years? Either way, whether it does or does not, I was able to climb over the rear seat from the cargo area, and I am certainly no flexible gymnast. :elefant:

Please understand, I am not trying to argue with anyone, just trying to explain things from a different point of view/perspective.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Haven't tried this myself but ... From the shop manual:

Liftgate Latch Manual Release

1. Remove the liftgate latch access cover from the

center of the liftgate trim panel.

2. Vehicles with manual liftgate, press the liftgate

latch manual release lever to the left to release

the liftgate latch.

3. Vehicles with power liftgate, press the liftgate

latch manual release lever down to release the

liftgate latch.

The same day this topic appeared, there was an accident in my area that an SUV ended up in a canal with the front end sumerged. The rear liftgate was open & this possibly indicated the occupents escaped out of the cargo area. In this case, many people saw the accident & quickly helped.

The same day this topic appeared, there was an accident in my area that an SUV ended up in a canal with the front end sumerged. The rear liftgate was open & this possibly indicated the occupents escaped out of the cargo area. In this case, many people saw the accident & quickly helped.

Glad to hear that the people were okay.

Good luck. :beerchug: