Bluetooth glitches. Works on audio streaming but not in phone mode?!?

I have a 2014 edge sel with the 4” non touch sync radio.  I’ve always used Bluetooth with no issues.  But lately they’ve been getting worse.  Last month or so when I start my car up it’s sort of garbled for about the first 5 seconds, like it got behind and is skipping ahead too fast to catch up or something weird.  But Bluetooth has always worked fine otherwise.  You listen to your streaming and when a call comes it automatically switches to phone mode.  Presto easy.

BUT NOW….

when I connect to my car, the audio streaming works as usual but when I go to use phone mode it says “Bluetooth phone disconnected.”   But it’s literally connected to Bluetooth right now streaming audio so i don’t understand what’s the issue.  I’ve reset sync in the advance settings menu.  I’ve deleted and reset my Bluetooth and network connections on phone.  Any other ideas?????   So weird!

• 3 weeks later...

I have SYNC 1 in my 2012 Fusion, and SYNC 1.1 in my 2015 Fusion (should be the same as yours). I had to be sure they were both updated to a mid level like version 4.4 (not the latest, as it disables specific functionality I use, the mic for Hey Google/Siri and commands on the phone), but I still have to either pull the fuse for SYNC (not easy on either Fusion), or pull the battery for a few minutes, then SYNC works like it should for 4-6 months or so. Sometimes it slightly glitches and can be cured with turning off the car, opening a door, and starting again.