hi from los angeles!

svtgustang

Welcome! Other than keeping up with maintenance and tires and brakes, driving style is about the only thing that can be done to help with fuel mileage. Anticipating better, not going to a throttle position or RPM that puts you in boost and increased fuel is the best way, and easing off sooner and using less brakes also helps. I find I hurt my overall fuel mileage the most getting on the interstate, one spirited run to get on the interstate can drop my average for a tank 1 mpg, which means 16 less miles that tank. Obviously there are times that you have to be semi aggressive and I would never try to merge on some tight on ramps without getting up to speed quickly, but sometimes I will alter my route to get a better on ramp that doesn't require a quick entrance, for example.

The city loop/drive cycle used to calculate the EPA rating does include quite a few 20 second idle periods, 18 times 0 to 25 to 30 mph and one up to 55, with pretty aggressive starts and stops, so how your driving environment differs from that could affect how close you get. it is 23 minutes with an average of 19.59 mph over 7.45 miles. I have played around with resetting the vehicles trip as it also gathers that information (time, distance, and average speed) to see why my wife doesn't get the 22 mpg average we should around town.

This the dyno map that Ford uses to calculate the rating for the EPA:

uddsdds.gif

The Highway rating, if they don't include higher speed schedule, it never goes above 60 mph, and I usually cruise at 79-81 so only in optimal situations will I beat it (I can, just not very often).