Magnaflow Custom CAT

Attention, Attention. I know I said that removing the resonator was sufficient, but I must admit I got greedy. I just got back from having a local muffler technician make me a custom CAT system with a Magnaflow muffler.

The sound is unbelievable. Will post pics and audio / video ASAP. I can tell a slight gain in torque and a little in hp around the 3k rpm range. He was able to use the existing stock pipe instead of enlarging the pipe to 3' or so. The muffler was placed in the position where the resonator was directly beneath the seating area and then he made a y pipe at the end and was able to keep the stock tips. Materials including labor cost me a whopping $128 plus tax.

Very Very well worth the money. From what I heard of the clips of the Gibson and FM Delta series, I got much more bang for my buck.

Attention, Attention. I know I said that removing the resonator was sufficient, but I must admit I got greedy. I just got back from having a local muffler technician make me a custom CAT system with a Magnaflow muffler.

The sound is unbelievable. Will post pics and audio / video ASAP. I can tell a slight gain in torque and a little in hp around the 3k rpm range. He was able to use the existing stock pipe instead of enlarging the pipe to 3' or so. The muffler was placed in the position where the resonator was directly beneath the seating area and then he made a y pipe at the end and was able to keep the stock tips. Materials including labor cost me a whopping $128 plus tax.

Very Very well worth the money. From what I heard of the clips of the Gibson and FM Delta series, I got much more bang for my buck.

thats great! If you don't mind, could you post the info on the muffler? Part number if you have it.

I look forward to the sound clip and pictures.

ok, here are 3 pics of the installation done about 2 hours ago. Will have to add audio another time, I don't have that capability on my phone.

post-5413-1233864661_thumb.jpg

post-5413-1233864675_thumb.jpg

post-5413-1233864682_thumb.jpg

nice.. but would have cost a lot more if you actually want to larger pipe.. even though it sounds like your guy works cheap :) .. which is part of the benefit of doing a new exhaust system.. you got kind of a hybrid deal going on here.

ok, here are 3 pics of the installation done about 2 hours ago. Will have to add audio another time, I don't have that capability on my phone.

have not been under my car in a while, so cannot recall if there is a reason, but what is with the gnarly bend in the pipe from the muffler back? why is it not straight shot back as it does not look like it is jogging around anything from that photo?

nice.. but would have cost a lot more if you actually want to larger pipe.. even though it sounds like your guy works cheap :) .. which is part of the benefit of doing a new exhaust system.. you got kind of a hybrid deal going on here.

Well I spoke to several different people about that specifically two muffler techs from different companies and they both said there is really no gains in increasing pipe size from 2.25 to 3.0. The sound will not be much more noticeable nor will there be any performance gains. The main reason I got this deal was he is a member of the Chamber of Commerce that I am the President of, so that helped.

have not been under my car in a while, so cannot recall if there is a reason, but what is with the gnarly bend in the pipe from the muffler back? why is it not straight shot back as it does not look like it is jogging around anything from that photo?

The part of the pipe that bends from the muffler to the Y split is part of the stock exhaust. The only new piping he used was the Y pipe to the tips.

The part of the pipe that bends from the muffler to the Y split is part of the stock exhaust. The only new piping he used was the Y pipe to the tips.

well heck.. if he was under there.. should have had him cut that out and make a straight shot. more turns and bends like that just add to back pressure. and in this case, it is not like that bend is needed to job around the tranny or something.. should have had him take it out. for what he seems to be charging you, could have been done cheap :)

well heck.. if he was under there.. should have had him cut that out and make a straight shot. more turns and bends like that just add to back pressure. and in this case, it is not like that bend is needed to job around the tranny or something.. should have had him take it out. for what he seems to be charging you, could have been done cheap :)

Running the hot exhaust right next to the fuel tank should be fine, right...

Running the hot exhaust right next to the fuel tank should be fine, right...

your kidding, right? :doh: go do some research. you really think an exhaust that is bent 4 inches out of the way is a significant heat cut back.. :hysterical: heck, even do some research on this site, and you can see straight exhaust pipes to cut down on curves and bends. As far as I know 818EDGE has not blown up yet with his Gibson.. ha ha ha maybe you better call Magnaflow and alert them also