aftermarket head unit - mic installation

I thought I would share with you how I added a mic for my aftermarket head unit in my '16 Edge.

I went with a 9" Pioneer and Maestro RR kit.  I didn't want the mic to be out of place, but I also wanted to retain the best audio I could.  I figured if the factory location works for the Sync audio, it should be good for the Pioneer as well.  I didn't know for sure if the OEM mic gets used at all, and I suppose I still don't with 100% certainty, so I did want to leave it in place.  Fortunately, there's an open spot to the right of the factory mic in the overhead console.  I measured for and modeled a housing for the mic capsule from the pioneer mic assembly.  I 3D printed a new housing for the mic that snaps into place in the overhead console.  I goofed on a couple of dimensions, so the cover is glued on instead of using the screw holes.  But I figured it is good enough for a prototype and if I ever need to take it all down, I can redo it then.  But this works great.

(Sorry for a couple of the pics being out of focus.  I think you'll get the idea, though.)

20231015_22491905.jpg

20231015_22493106.jpg

20231015_22591601.jpg

20231015_22432902.jpg

20231015_22433703.jpg

20231015_22481204.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nice! I love making parts to fix things or custom mount them with my 3d printer. I just did 8 prototypes to end up with a final fix for a broken tab on my fridge. I try to get where no trimming is needed, but sometimes oversized and trimming is best.

I do need to get an enclosed printer to do ABS and/or ASA, as PETG just doesn't cut it in the ambient temps my vehicle is subject to 100+ days of the year.