Speaker Upgrade 09 Edge: need tutorial

I'm not satisfied with the sound quality of the Limited's speakers, but I don't know a thing about speakers. I like to hear high- and mid-range sounds in my music, but the stock speakers are heavy on the low-end. Can someone answer some questions without getting too technical?

A. Will replacing just the front speakers make enough of a difference?

B. Is it easy for an electronics store to replace the small speakers on the windshield side-bar?

C. What speaker brand would be best for my taste?

D. About how much can I expect to spend for a place like Jo-Dee's (or similar) to do the work for me?

A. Yes as the driver of your car you're hearing mostly the fronts. However upgrading the rears with better highs will improve the sound stage.

B. I don't know what you mean. I have an MKX so it may be different.

C. Go to a car audio store and try different speakers. Then buy them online. Take online reviews with a grain of salt because people's level of quality and perception can vary wildly. I can tell you Pioneer TS-A6882R speakers do have more louder highs than the stockers, however I mainly bought them for mid-bass.

D. Sorry did the install myself, but it should be about one hours worth of work. Definitely not more than two hours.

A. Yes as the driver of your car you're hearing mostly the fronts. However upgrading the rears with better highs will improve the sound stage.

B. I don't know what you mean. I have an MKX so it may be different.

C. Go to a car audio store and try different speakers. Then buy them online. Take online reviews with a grain of salt because people's level of quality and perception can vary wildly. I can tell you Pioneer TS-A6882R speakers do have more louder highs than the stockers, however I mainly bought them for mid-bass.D. Sorry did the install myself, but it should be about one hours worth of work. Definitely not more than two hours.

And thats why no one gets good customer service anymore. Hopefully your job will be outsourced as well. Maybe try this, go to a car audio store listen to several and pick the one that sounds best to you. Every speaker sounds different to everyone and this is why there are so many brands. Then Decide wether you want to put them in or have the shop do them. the edge has very easy doorpanels to remove but if your not comfortable with it have them do it. Remember it may be cheaper to have them do it than to have to buy a new door panel that you break if you dont know how to remove it.

Edited by securinu

haha..cute. settle down guy. if you like to overpay for your speakers, suit yourself.

Lets hope your store goes down like Circuit City.

So you'd rather save a few bucks on speakers while your friends, family and neighbors lose their jobs? I don't think you understand the impact this has on your community and ultimately on you.

So you'd rather save a few bucks on speakers while your friends, family and neighbors lose their jobs? I don't think you understand the impact this has on your community and ultimately on you.

Exactly this is the tool looking for a check from osama the new savior oops my bad obama.always looking for a handout .

Exactly this is the tool looking for a check from osama the new savior oops my bad obama.always looking for a handout .

I was really hoping for some advice instead of political debates--I went to a local car stereo store and I just made an appointment to have the stock speakers upgraded to a Rockford brand that he recommended. He is putting an extra tweeter in each door and the tweeters near the windshield will be angled toward the seats.

He said that the Edge design to put tweeters on the windshield frame is a poor placement because they point directly at each other and the soundwaves cancel out. According to this store owner, speakers in the dash are ideal because the soundwaves bounce off the windshield and back to the driver/passenger.

He said that the Edge design to put tweeters on the windshield frame is a poor placement because they point directly at each other and the soundwaves cancel out. According to this store owner, speakers in the dash are ideal because the soundwaves bounce off the windshield and back to the driver/passenger.

I don't believe that for a minute. I listened to the system in a new edge and the pillar mounted speakers add a fuller sound. I never liked speakers bouncing off the windshield - never cared for the deflected sound - rather have direct sound from the highs. If the speakers cancel each other out because they face each other, I guess the door panel speakers cancel each other out also since they face each other. So there would be no sound at all????

• 1 month later...