2016 Edge - Concerns About Recent Service Bullitens and Recalls

What brings this topic to mind is a recent video that surfaced on YouTube regarding a completely different engine family; - the 1.0 liter EcoBoost relative to engine coolant leaks.

A search of the Ford Edge Forum today yielded a post for TSB 22-2229 for the engine in our 2016 Edge  - 2.0 EcoBoost. Originally when I heard about the coolant leak issue, I believed that our vehicle was exempt, but apparently according to the TSB it is included.

Coupled with the potential for the flexplate between the torque converter and the engine to crack and fail, (a potential failure that Ford has extended the warranty to 10 years from delivery date), it sounds like our Edge might be a ticking time bomb. 

We love the Edge and take care of it with regular maintenance and up keep. While we bought it three years new in June 2019, the interior and exterior look like the day we took delivery at 44,000 Kms. We've owned it for almost 5 years and it currently has about 88,000 Kms.  Ya, I know, it hasn't really been anywhere!

I'm sitting here trying to decide what, if anything we might do next, as we hadn't planned to buy a new / newer vehicle at this time. I know the two mechanics at the shop where we take the Edge could easily complete the long block coolant repair if it needed doing, and probably cheaper than our selling dealer. 

I think we will just ride it out and see where this journey takes us. ?‍♂️

Anyone have thoughts on what they might do given these two ever-present issues that haven't surfaced yet?

Edited by 2016 Edge Titanium AWD

My 2017 Escape with the 1.5 had a similar TSB/CSP for the coolant intrusion issue, and after seeing quite a few reports of it, it did make me start to sweat as the miles and years piled up, even though I had the initial CSP work done that extended my warranty, and I had an extended warranty. I didn't have any issues, and the vehicle was a total loss due to an accident at 98,000 miles (and it was sold and is driving around Mexico to this day).

I don't know of any of the TSBs for the 2016 engine that extend the warranty to 10 years.

But when I was shopping for its replacement, that made me look hard at 2019+ Edge instead of a 2015-2018. I thought I really wanted the 2.0 for better fuel mileage, but not the possible coolant intrusion issue. I think the 2019 is a good vehicle but in retrospect I would probably be good with a 2015-2018 with the 3.5, as I get similar fuel mileage in my 3.5 powered car as I do with my Edge. My 2019 is equipped the way I would have built it if new other than it has the pano roof, and the new for that year adaptive cruise with stop and go and lane centering has become one of my favorite features.