BMS reset procedure for 2018 Edge

nevans

This car is KILLING  me....!

Just went through battery/alternator replacement on my 2018 Edge.     I still get a " check charging system" alarm.   I took it back to the shop that did the work and they ran diagnostics saying that everything checks out OK.   Does anyone have the official BMS reset procedure for a 2018 Ford Edge.   I suspect that it needs to be "calibrated".

Thanks

Edited by nevans

Relating to the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) reset method and effects, this from the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual...

• If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the BMS Reset using a diagnostic scan tool.
  • This reset is reserved for new battery installation. Resetting the battery monitoring system will clear the learned battery data, the battery time in service, and will affect the aging algorithm parameters, which have been learned since the installation of the battery.
  • If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions.

So, use of a diagnostic scan tool (including Forscan and other scanning apps) is the only way to perform a BMS reset.

The 8-hours is involved in the Body Control Module (BCM) validly tracking the battery's State of Charge, this from the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual...

• The BCM uses the battery current sensor (without auto-start-stop) or battery monitoring sensor (with auto-start-stop) to keep track of the battery state of charge. During a drive cycle the Electrical Energy Management software adjusts the battery state of charge up during charging, and down during discharge.
  • During rest periods with the key off, and the vehicle enters sleep mode, the BCM automatically recalibrates the Battery State of Charge. It takes 8 hours in sleep mode, with the vehicle undisturbed, no doors opened or keyless entry buttons pressed, and the total vehicle current draw less than 300mA, to calibrate the battery state of charge to a high accuracy. If the system draw has not allowed the battery state of charge to calibrate over the previous 7 days, the state of charge quality factor changes to identify this and some Electrical Energy Management system functions may be temporarily turned off until a calibration takes place.
  • This vehicle is equipped with an Electrical Energy Management system which manages battery charging and monitors the battery state of charge. The Electrical Energy Management system software is housed in the BCM . It has the algorithms and control structure for the Smart Regenerative Charging, and Load Shed Control Strategy. The Electrical Energy Management system is equipped with a battery current sensor (without auto-start-stop), or a battery monitoring sensor (with auto-start-stop) and generator current sensor to monitor the battery. These sensors serve as input to the Electrical Energy Management system software. If the sensors malfunction due to wiring issues or failure, a DTC will be set. In most cases the Electrical Energy Management system functions will be turned off until the sensor operation is restored.

So, while the 8-hours in sleep mode doesn't perform a BMS reset, it is comparably important.

Relating to the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM message and/or the charging system warning indicator, this from the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual...

• The PCM reports any charging system faults and sends a message through the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) to the BCM . The BCM controls the charging system warning indicator by sending a message over the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) to the IPC . The IPC then controls charging system warning indication based on the message from the PCM through the BCM . The status of the PCM charging system warning indicator and/or message is confirmed by viewing PCM PID generator fault indicator lamp (GENFIL). Any charging system fault detected by the PCM results in 1 or more Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) being set and the PID GENFIL having a status of On. If equipped with a charging system warning indicator, the IPC turns the indicator on or off. If equipped with a message center, the IPC displays a CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM message. In some instances, the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM message may not display if the ignition is on and the engine is off.
  • Under certain circumstances, the charging system may have a concern but will still keep the battery charged and the vehicle running. GENCOM normally initiates charging but with a fault in this circuit, the generator can self-excite and start charging on its own. The charging system warning indicator is illuminated and/or the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM message is displayed, and the generator operates in a default mode (approximately 13.5 volts).

image.png.9460ecb4be918d44d70ebd1ee7387e6d.pngimage.png.a31444ed1055da7825ecc672b7e81c6f.png

image.png.e5e8d8db90fa25e24b8d0cadc5eb5d89.png

image.png.979ecb5e4cb8d42f2ac973f7f4015c62.png

image.png.7b6d5021dea5153a90fca728e89d1580.png

The Charging System RTT Warning Indicator Is Never Or Always On

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

See Charging System RTT indicator.
REFER to: 
Message Center - System Operation and Component Description (413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes, Description and Operation).

If the charging system indication request is missing for less than 5 seconds, the IPC defaults the charging system RTT indicator to the last indication state (on or off), based upon on the last message received.

If the charging system indication request is missing for 5 seconds or longer, the IPC defaults the charging system RTT indicator on.

Possible Sources

• Charging system concern
  • Communication concern
  • GWM concern
  • IPC

PINPOINT TEST AJ: THE CHARGING SYSTEM RTT (RECONFIGURABLE TELLTALE) WARNING INDICATOR IS NEVER OR ALWAYS ON

AJ1 CHECK THE MESSAGE CENTER OPERATION

• Ignition ON.
  • Close all doors, the hood and the liftgate.
  • Clear all message center warnings by pressing the OK button for each warning present.
  • Monitor the door ajar RTT warning indicator.
  • Open the driver door.
  • Clear the message center popup warning.
  • Monitor the door ajar RTT warning indicator.

Is the door ajar RTT warning indicator off with the door closed, and on with the door open?

Yes GO to AJ2
No
INTDIAG.GIF  bancircle.png VIN required to access Guided Routine (IPC)

AJ2 PERFORM THE IPC (INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER) SELF-TEST

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the IPC self-test.

Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded?

Yes REFER to DTC Chart: IPC in this section.
No GO to AJ3

AJ3 CHECK THE GWM (GATEWAY MODULE A) DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)

• Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the GWM Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded?

Yes
REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).
No GO to AJ4

AJ4 CHECK THE CHARGING SYSTEM OPERATION

• Check the charging system operation.

Does the charging system operate correctly?

Yes If the charging system warning indicator is never on, the system is operating correctly at this time.
If the charging system warning indicator is always on, DIAGNOSE all BCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
REFER to: 
Body Control Module (BCM) (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Diagnosis and Testing).
No
REFER to: Charging System - 2.0L EcoBoost (184kW/250PS) – MI4 (414-00 Charging System - General Information, Diagnosis and Testing).

Relevant sections of the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual are linked for download below, and in an immediately following post, due to Forum file attachment limitations...

Document download links>

Charging System - 2.0L EcoBoost - Overview - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Charging_System_-_2.0L_EcoBoost_-_System_Operation_and_Component_Description_-_2018_Edge_Workshop_Manual.pdf

Message Center - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Battery Load Shed - Description and Operation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.   I think it might be too late, though

I will re-state.  This car is KILLING  me....!

I had the shop re-check the charging system.  Everything checked out OK, still getting charging system alarms until yesterday.   Dash lit up like a christmas tree and car is dead.   I had it towed in again......verdict......ECU is bad.  Possible that bad alternator replacement cooked the ECU?  I am considering getting this to a dealer, however, I will not pay for 2 alternator replacements.   Thoughts?  comments?   Yes we've already replaced the engine due to coolant intrusion.  I am dumping this thing soon. 

1 hour ago, nevans said:

I had the shop re-check the charging system.  Everything checked out OK, still getting charging system alarms until yesterday.   Dash lit up like a christmas tree and car is dead.   I had it towed in again......verdict......ECU is bad.  Possible that bad alternator replacement cooked the ECU?  I am considering getting this to a dealer, however, I will not pay for 2 alternator replacements.   Thoughts?  comments?   Yes we've already replaced the engine due to coolant intrusion.  I am dumping this thing soon. 

It sure sounds like the shop you've been using is incompetent, and agree a visit to a dealership is likely what's needed now.

Who do you owe money to for the two alternators?

Yep, I'm concerned about this place.

I don't owe money for 2 alternators.  My dilemma is if I take it to a dealer and they need to replace the "just replaced" alternator, I will probably have to tow it back to the shop for them to deal with it and then take it back to the dealer for a look-over so nothing else blows up.