Backup Camera - Enhanced Parking Aid - 2011 edge

so more on backup cameras...

I replaced my backup camera in 2011 edge limited, since it lost its guidelines and was very blurry...

got an Ebay special, the new camera is clear, i got my guidelines, i have the center line, and the dynamic moving lines based on wheel position.

but, don't have the enhanced parking aid block (overlays) and the zoom button doesn't seem to work (course i never zoomed before, but the button is there)

no DTC present, the Rear Camera Calibration runs with no errors in Forscan (no license, but seems to let us run that)

did i get a fake camera? they say OEM, which is vaugue anyway..

or is there more to this? then just swap

i mean sure the new camera view is way better than the one from 2015(i think ford replaced it at one point).

thanks

mitch

haha, .. turning on/off and disconnecting battery, everyone tries that.... this is an issue i see all the time posted, and never a solution

sometimes people solve then dont post the solution

it could be as simple as the camera while looks exact isnt

37 minutes ago, mitchjs said:

haha, .. turning on/off and disconnecting battery, everyone tries that.... this is an issue i see all the time posted, and never a solution

sometimes people solve then dont post the solution

it could be as simple as the camera while looks exact isnt

Did you try a forum search?

IDS/Scan tool? - Lounge - Ford Edge Forum

From the 2011 Edge Workshop Manual...

(Placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms may display the item's full-words description)

Parking Aid — Video

Principles of Operation

NOTE: Close the liftgate for correct operation of the video camera system.

The rear video camera system is active with the ignition in run and the transaxle selector in the REVERSE (R) position. The video camera receives commands and sends status over a dedicated Local Interconnect Network (LIN) to the Body Control Module (BCM) . The video camera sends a video signal to the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) on a pair of shielded video circuits. The APIM sends the video signal to the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) (mounted to the APIM ) which displays the video image of the area behind the vehicle.

The video camera system has 4 video features that are controlled in the FDIM . The features are:

• Fixed guidelines
  • Visual park aid alert
  • Manual zoom
  • Video camera delay

For each one of these system features except the camera delay feature, the APIM sends a network message requesting the system feature to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) via the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) . The IPC sends the message to the BCM over the HS-CAN . The BCM sends the message to the video camera over the LIN . The LIN is a dedicated single wire communication line that sends and receives network messages from the BCM to the video camera. The video camera delay feature is controlled with in the APIM .

The messages sent from the BCM to the video camera are:

• transmission selector (PRNDL) status
  • liftgate ajar status
  • camera configuration data
  • display manual zoom request
  • parking aid audible warning status
  • parking aid sensor distance to object data

The messages sent from the video camera to the BCM are:

• camera status
  • display zoom status
  • camera part number data
  • visual park aid alert status
  • fixed guideline status

All of the video camera features are enabled and disabled within the FDIM menu screen.

The video camera delay feature keeps the image displayed on the FDIM until the vehicle reaches 8 km/h (5 mph) when the vehicle is shifted out of reverse or if any button on the FDIM is pressed.

The video camera fixed guidelines feature displays guidelines on top of the video image to assist the driver with alignment of the vehicle. A dashed line on the displayed image represents the center of the vehicle and 3 color-coded lines (red, yellow, green) identify different zones between the rear of the vehicle and objects.

NOTE: The color-coded lines cannot indicate accurate or consistent distances between objects located behind the vehicle and at the rear of the vehicle. This normal condition is due to variances in vehicle ride height, including, but not limited to, vehicle loading.

The visual park aid alert feature utilizes the 4 parking aid sensor inputs from the Parking Aid Module (PAM) and the video camera image. When the transaxle selector is in the reverse position and an object is detected in the path of the parking aid sensor, a network message of the distance from the parking aid sensor to the object is sent from the PAM to the BCM over the HS-CAN . The BCM networks the parking aid sensor message to the video camera over the LIN . The visual alerts are red, yellow or green and appear as highlights on top of the displayed image to indicate in which zone the object is detected. The highlighted visual alerts are still operational if the parking aid system is disabled within the IPC and the visual alert feature is enabled.

The manual zoom feature is controlled by the video camera. The manual zoom feature has 3 zoom levels that are only active when the vehicle is in reverse. If the manual zoom feature is enabled and the vehicle is shifted out of reverse the manual zoom feature is disabled. The manual zoom feature must be re-enabled the next time the vehicle is shifted into reverse. When the FDIM requests the video image to be zoomed in or out, the APIM sends a zoom request network message to the IPC . The IPC sends the message to the BCM , which sends the zoom request message to the video camera over the LIN . The video image sent by the video camera is then digitally zoomed in or out.

Because you indicate no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present in any of your Edge's electronic modules, we look to the Symptom Chart for diagnostic procedure guidance...

image.png.ce4bdd83dc137b88737cc16e86f6df0a.pngimage.png.fe9ac898d4a6be466ac2362d80f89364.png

Pinpoint Test I: Visual Park Aid Is Inoperative

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 131 , Parking Aid for schematic and connector information...

529883693_RearVideoCamera-BodyControlModule-APIMWiringDiagram-2011Edge.thumb.jpg.eb6372bc754506516dfd58c3f99d058f.jpg

Normal Operation

When the transaxle selector in the reverse position and an object is detected in the path of the parking aid sensor, a network message of the distance from the parking aid sensor to the object is sent from the Parking Aid Module (PAM) to the Body Control Module (BCM) over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) . The BCM networks the parking aid sensor message over the Local Interconnect Network (LIN) to the video camera. The visual alerts are red, yellow or green and appear as highlights on top of the displayed image to indicate in which zone the object is detected. The visual park aid feature can be enabled and disabled with in the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) .

This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:

• Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Video camera
  • PAM
  • BCM
PINPOINT TEST I : VISUAL PARK AID IS INOPERATIVE
NOTICE: Use the correct probe adapter(s) when making measurements. Failure to use the correct probe adapter(s) may damage the connector. I1  VERIFY THE VISUAL PARK AID IS ENABLED
  • Verify that the visual park aid is enabled in the FDIM .

Is the visual park aid enable in the FDIM ?

Yes GO to I2.
No ENABLE the visual park aid. TEST the system for normal operation.

I2  CHECK THE DTCS FROM THE PAM SELF-TEST
  • Check the PAM DTCs from the self-test.

Are any PAM DTCs recorded?

Yes REPAIR all PAM DTCs first. REFER to Parking Aid in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No GO to I3.

I3  CHECK THE DTCS FROM THE BCM SELF-TEST
  • Check the BCM DTCs from the self-test.

Are any BCM DTCs recorded?

Yes REFER to DTC Charts in this section.
No GO to I4.

I4  CHECK FOR CORRECT VIDEO CAMERA OPERATION
  • Connect: All Disconnected Connectors .
  • Disconnect the video camera connector.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion
    • damaged pins
    • pushed-out pins
  • Connect the video camera connector and make sure it seats correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes INSTALL a new video camera. REFER to Video Camera in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector.

If any DTCs surface after you use Forscan to specifically perform module Self Tests on the PAM and BCW, then report them back here and we'll address them further.

You may notice in all of the above explanation that the Camera's generating the red -yellow-green visual cues is the result of the BCM messaging across the LIN circuit.

The wiring diagram indicates the LIN circuit passes through three connectors between the Camera and the BCM: at C4357 Pin 2, at C495 Pin 2, and at C919 Pin 9.

Connector details and location illustrations are linked for download below.

If you progress to Step I4, you may want to inspect all three of those Connectors/LIN circuit Pins for corrosion and/or a pushed-out conditions.

And finally, about your "eBay special" "OEM" camera purchase.

Is the camera outwardly identical to the camera you removed, showing identical part number and manufacturer markings?

Have you contacted the eBay seller for a replacement camera?

Document download links>

Parking Aid Module-Body Control Module Power Supply-HS CAN Module Communications Wiring Diagram - 2011 Edge.pdf

VIDEO CAMERA - Connector C4357 Details - 2011 Edge.pdf

Inline Connector C495 - Body Harness to Camera Jumper Harness - 2011 Edge.pdf

Video CAMERA - Connectors C495 & C4357 Locations in Liftgate - 2011 Edge.pdf

Inline Connector C919 - Liftgate Harness to Body Harness Details - 2011 Edge.pdf

Inline Connector C919 - Liftgate Harness to Body Harness Location - 2011 Edge.pdf

Inline Connector C919 - Liftgate Harness to Body Harness Location, Alternate View - 2011 Edge.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

wow, thank you... i did inspect connectors.... they all clean... and the camera does react to steering wheel change
(the lines curve)

the "ebay" special, looks close, but not identical... and didnt have the ford label on it

(course it showed that in the auction)
i already claimed it as not genuine ford product, and the seller already refunded me $40 of the $100 i spent.... 

the original camera... lost all its extra graphics (lines + overlay), and the lens has cracks in it (its an old car) so image was not good, blurry, dim.

at least the new camera is clear and bright.

running PAM and Body self tests, NO CODES THROWN

ALL OK

suspect to me is the camera itself

question, what you posted came from a digital version of the Workshop Manual, i see bunch on ebay... what is legit? the DVD? id like the one on USB.... but not sure if its legit

Edited by mitchjs