Engine Replacement Cost?

TheGr8Ginger

Sadly, I'm pretty sure my engines toast, as last I ran it (3+ months ago), it had SUPER foamy oil.  Noticed I'd be going through a gallon or more coolant a week often, so I'm leaning towards the water pump failure. I'm hoping somebody here's has some input on what I can expect when talking to a mechanic. I'm curious as to what this community would say to expect regarding price with either an engine replacement vs rebuilding the current engine. 

Realized I haven't given vehicle specs yet:
Year: 2013
Model: Edge SEL AWD

Sadly, I've also still got a loan on this thing (<$4k), and am focusing on just getting that paid off first, as my better half has a Yukon she's graciously letting me borrow. Just miss the mpg efficiency enough to FINALLY start doing some research into this.

Pretty sure I have a 3.5, but I'm a nerd not an engine guy, so correct me if I'm wrong. Outside of some better HP/Torque, would there be any benefit to swapping up to the 3.7? I mostly live off cruise control (+5mph speed limit at most), but occasionally enjoy feeling a little young again and putting a little bit more peep, so would the 3.7's power difference be that noticeable? If MPG is a noticeable difference, is it yay or nay with outcome?

Thanks for any input you're able to provide! 

Sounds like it probably has the 3.5, which was the standard engine for an SEL for that year. The 20 extra HP from a 3.7 could be appreciated but probably not as apparent as it seems. If the water pump/seal failed, and failed in a way to fill the crank case full of coolant and water, and it was ran that way, it likely needs a replacement engine. $3,000-$6,000 (especially with AWD) in labor to R&R an engine and replace the water pump and timing, $1500-$2000 for a used engine delivered, maybe far less if you can source it locally from a junk yard, especially a you pull it type place, but lots of additional work.