20 inch chrome clad wheels

breezin71

I put less than 1,000 miles on my 2008 certified MKX with the shiny 20 inch chrome wheels with Pirelli Scorpions, and all 4 are bad. 2 from nothing potholes, I guess, because chunks came off the tire and 3" rub marks on the wheels. One has a knick. The last has obvious repairs markings. I hate them. Anybody have any suggestions? The dealer says that it's my fault. I already bought one new one for $925 and am not doing it again. This is a design defect as far as I am concerned.

I put less than 1,000 miles on my 2008 certified MKX with the shiny 20 inch chrome wheels with Pirelli Scorpions, and all 4 are bad. 2 from nothing potholes, I guess, because chunks came off the tire and 3" rub marks on the wheels. One has a knick. The last has obvious repairs markings. I hate them. Anybody have any suggestions? The dealer says that it's my fault. I already bought one new one for $925 and am not doing it again. This is a design defect as far as I am concerned.

Hi breezin. :D I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. However, if you hit a pothole hard enough that "chunks came off the tire" and it put "3 inch rub marks on the wheels", it is not a design defect with the wheel. Neither is a nicked wheel. That is "Road Hazard Damage" and is specifically not covered by a New Car Warranty.

An Auto Manufacturer is only responsible for defects in parts and workmanship, not damage caused by hitting something like a pothole or other road hazard.

Now, please understand that I am not placing blame on you. You did not intentionally try to damage your wheels. But it is not Fords fault either.

This is one of the main problems with big wheels (like the 20" MKX wheels). They are prone to road hazard damage due to the short tire sidewalls. The tire sidewall acts as a shock absorber to soak up shock from potholes and road hazards. When you install big wheels, you have to use a lower profile tire to maintain the desired "look", fit and overall diameter. Unfortunately that leaves less shock absorbing sidewall to protect the wheel. The wheel is closer to the road and closer to things that can rub, scratch, nick and bend it.

Unfortunately it is not a design defect, as any 20" wheel would have been damaged the same way in the same situation, so there is not much that you can do.

Your could always try your luck with the Service Department at another Dealership. But if the damage was obviously caused by a pot hole or other road hazard damage, it is likely they will tell you the same thing. Does not hurt to try though.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

You do have insurance right ? :P

Should have gone with larger tires, maybe a 265/55/20 and had a local shop change the factory speedo settings to adjust to the new size. Would have come out much cheaper. But again that is irrelevant now, but those with 20's or larger it could be preventive maintenance and reduce that nasty wheel well gap.

• 8 months later...

I had a similar problem last winter on my Chrysler. Hit a pothole on the interstate at about 75mph. That wheel looked D shaped when I got out of the car to look at it. Miraculously, it still held air. That wheel was ONLY $400, but I knew when I bought the new MKX with the 20's that this could possibly be trouble. As we were signing the paper for the car, the finance manager asked about wheel coverage? Any damage, any problems with the wheels, they are covered, no questions asked. Like road hazard for your wheels and even covers the tires. $499.00 for as long as you own the car. Sounds a little pricey, but I took it. I had a heck of a time finding the $400 Chrysler wheel, I didn't even want to try to find a replacement 20" Lincoln wheel. If I ever have problems, just take it to the dealer and they handle everything. Both of my Lincolns have this coverage. When you live in Illinois, the roads are SO bad that this is just a little extra piece of mind.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar problem last winter on my Chrysler. Hit a pothole on the interstate at about 75mph. That wheel looked D shaped when I got out of the car to look at it. Miraculously, it still held air. That wheel was ONLY $400, but I knew when I bought the new MKX with the 20's that this could possibly be trouble. As we were signing the paper for the car, the finance manager asked about wheel coverage? Any damage, any problems with the wheels, they are covered, no questions asked. Like road hazard for your wheels and even covers the tires. $499.00 for as long as you own the car. Sounds a little pricey, but I took it. I had a heck of a time finding the $400 Chrysler wheel, I didn't even want to try to find a replacement 20" Lincoln wheel. If I ever have problems, just take it to the dealer and they handle everything. Both of my Lincolns have this coverage. When you live in Illinois, the roads are SO bad that this is just a little extra piece of mind.

Thanks for all the assistance. My insurance covered two (barely, because if a wheel and tire is more than $1,000, which they are when they are not on sale), my premiums would have gone up. After I got the two fixed, I noticed another one. The Ford dealer who said that it is a road hazard is flat wrong. Tires and wheels should not get damaged so often without even feeling the hits. I can't tell you how careful I've been. This is a plain and simple design flaw.