Emblems

Edge184

these guys have been around for a while, have seen them talked about here & tried before with them, but is has been a while. the issue is he will not be doing the larger 9" ovals we need from what I understood long ago as I watched the site and even emailed. and in the last year, that has not changed. I gave up long ago on this guy, but just sent another email to see if anything has changed since you brought it up :)

either way, it wouldn't be cheap even if he does, but I do not hold out much hope since it seems not much has changed on the site

I recieved an email back from them. They said that they have never sold an emblem for an Edge or had any requests. He did not even have the exact size. I sent him the sizes for the front and rear. He woould make them if I wanted them but it appears to be a pain to remove them, especially the rear one. So I found a site that makes vinyl decals that cover the logo. I ordered front and back, will let you know how they fir and what they loook like when I recieve them.

I recieved an email back from them. They said that they have never sold an emblem for an Edge or had any requests. He did not even have the exact size. I sent him the sizes for the front and rear. He woould make them if I wanted them but it appears to be a pain to remove them, especially the rear one. So I found a site that makes vinyl decals that cover the logo. I ordered front and back, will let you know how they fir and what they loook like when I recieve them.

I got same email :)

I also sent him sizes :)

rear can be removed IIRC when I was installing my camera I am sure I saw threaded bolts.. the front, never looked but think it 'might' be part of the grill itself.

you can see some of the decals here, I cant recall whom exactly, but one kat with the all murdered edge has them in black and a black vinyl covered grill and fogs.

yeah I removed the rear panel and there are six nuts that can be removed but they hold on the plastic molding that has the license plate light in it. It appears that there is some type of post that holds on the emblem, no nut or bolt, so I couldn't figure it out or get my fingers in there. So I gave up and order the vinyl decals.

FOr the front you would have to remove the whole grille. There are three bolts that can be removed but without removing the grille forget it.

I live my Edge buut what a pain to remove parts...

I would bet the logo is held in place by a system of one way clips. Pins in the back of the logo slide in to holes which have angled metal flanges that tighten up when the pin tries to back out (like a slip knot). Some of these work on smooth pins, others call for a pin with small ridges that function like the teeth on a set of handcuffs. This type of set up would greatly speed assembly of the parts.

The other option is they use an adhesive. (contact cement or urethane).

I'm surprised no one has had an emblem "removed" by vandals and gotten a look at the backing for the logo.

I'm surprised no one has had an emblem "removed" by vandals and gotten a look at the backing for the logo.

:hysterical: anyone dumb enough to take a 'Ford" emblem should be on Worlds Dumbest Criminals... ha ha ha, it is not like a Mercedes emblem :)

"yo yo yo.. watch me steal that Ford emblem kid.. that Ford emblem is TIGHT"

What is the website you ordered the vinyl decals from?

I would bet the logo is held in place by a system of one way clips. Pins in the back of the logo slide in to holes which have angled metal flanges that tighten up when the pin tries to back out (like a slip knot). Some of these work on smooth pins, others call for a pin with small ridges that function like the teeth on a set of handcuffs. This type of set up would greatly speed assembly of the parts.

The other option is they use an adhesive. (contact cement or urethane).

U'r very close to correct. The two pins are shaped like a + sign if looked at straight on & during assembly they push aside plastic tabs/flanges, much as U describe. I would characterize the "locking" action as like a Chinese finger puzzle. As stated, the Ford badge is further held in place with an oval piece of two sided "tape." The tail gate molding consists of two parts: (1) the black plastic piece that holds license lamps & lift gate "unlock" switch & (2) the "paint-to-match" piece that holds the Ford badge. These two are held together with a series of tabs & notches around the periphery. Six 2-ended studs screw thru black piece & into painted piece. Threads put me in mind of course wood screw. On other end is machine thread for nuts mentioned by Edge184 in post#7. If U really want to remove badge, U have to dissemble black & painted parts. Then (all at same time) :headscratch: pull 4 tabs away from 2 pins & carefully pry badge to separate it from tape or maybe tape from molding. I'm too embarrassed :blush: to tell how I came to have such intimate knowledge of this area. Suffice to say it was an act of extreme carelessness. However, I was more lucky than anyone could hope for in such a situation & it cost very little to put right.

Edited by dadrett

• 4 months later...