2009 Ford Edge aftermarket HID with Daytime running lights

matt_edm

Hey guys,

I decided to post this solution to a problem I have been having with an after market HID kit I installed on my 2009 Ford Edge with daytime running lights. After I installed the aftermarket HID kit and the H11 relay harness I kept having problems with the daytime running lights and automatic headlights they would not turn on. I was forced to manually turn my lights on and off. I read that the daytime running lights only put 7 volts to the headlights and in my experience this 7 volts was not enough power to trip the relay in the H11 relay harness that turns on the HID ballasts. My solution was to use a second relay that was rated for 6 to 12 volts so that no matter what voltage the headlights were putting out the relay would trip every time and power the ballast, so here is what I did.

From the vehicle’s headlight plug (you only need to use one) I installed the 6 – 12 volt relay, because the relay was quite small I didn’t want to over due it so I had the smaller relay activate the larger relay in the H11 wiring harness.

Simply put I installed a second relay that would trip the H11 harness relay at a lower voltage, this completely solved my problem.

I don’t claim to be any kind of expert I actually install security systems and this relay was one we sometimes use. I looked everywhere for a solution to this problem and kept reading peoples saying that the vehicle wasn’t designed for an aftermarket kit and that it couldn’t be done.

It is working perfectly now.

I hope this helps someone.

Matt

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...