Warranty Question?

blockisle9

I have an 08 Limited I bought used from a Ford Dealer. It had around 12K miles on it when I bought it, it now has 18k on it.

The other day I found some paint bubbling around one of the back up sensors that are in the rear bumper.

Showed it to the service representative, he said “You bought this used, right. I’ll have to talk to your sales person; we will get back to you.”

Should this be covered under warranty or not?

Thanks for your help.

I have an 08 Limited I bought used from a Ford Dealer. It had around 12K miles on it when I bought it, it now has 18k on it.

The other day I found some paint bubbling around one of the back up sensors that are in the rear bumper.

Showed it to the service representative, he said “You bought this used, right. I’ll have to talk to your sales person; we will get back to you.”

Should this be covered under warranty or not?

Thanks for your help.

Hi blockisle. :D There are several variables and we do not know the answers to any of them. For example, was the bumper repainted (before or after you purchased)? If it was, it would not normally be covered.

Was the bumper involved in any impacts (before or after you purchased)? If it was, again, not usually covered.

It is plastic part, so it is not rust.

Essentially, unless it is a defect in material or workmanship, it is not a Warranty issue.

You will need to wait and see what the Dealership Service person says when they get back to you. It is not a clear cut issue without knowing added information.

If you are not happy with their answer, here is a copy and paste from your Warranty Guide:

Sometimes Ford may offer a special adjustment program to pay all or

part of the cost of certain repairs beyond the terms of the applicable

warranty. Check with your dealer or call 1-800-521-4140 to learn whether

any adjustment program is applicable to your vehicle. Please have your

vehicle identification number available.

There is also a lot of other valuable information in that Warranty Guide, so you might want to read it over.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Two things: First, would you please try to post your questions once. I assume it was a mistake and that your system was responding slowly for some reason, but try to wait for the system to load before hitting the "Add Reply' button multiple times. :banghead:

Second, since you mistakenly posted your question three times, go back and edit out the other two repeat posts to say "Delete" or "Ignore". And edit out the text/question. In this way, people will answer in one thread instead of three. And it may prevent others who are not quite as understanding from lambasting you.

First I want to apologize for the duplicate post; I hope I edited it to everyone satisfaction.

Second thanks for the replies, I did not run a car fax, it did not even dawn on me. I figured I was buying a $30k + Ford from a Ford Dealer that the whole vehicle would be covered by the warranty. I’m pretty sure they (The Dealer) ran one and knew the vehicle history. I feel that I’ve been misrepresented. I hope they do the right thing! Shame on me, live and learn…..

I will keep you posted.

Get a carfax report, and if it comes up clean call the state and see if they have any accidents under the vin. I bought an Edge in Feb and traded in my truck that was wrecked bad last July. The report did not show it, and it was $4k of damage. And I believe lemon law only applies to new cars, so unless they sell it as certified or with some guarantee you have no recourse. But I would say unless the dealer can prove there was an accident that the warranty should step in, just my opinion. Maybe it was built on a Friday. :)

I am an insurance adjuster and you must understand something about Carfax. Unless a claim was was reported to the insurance carrier and the vehicle's VIN was inputted correctly by the person(S) who handled the claim, it will not show up. The data from the loss is sent to IIB for collection and Carfax draws data from those sources. Long story short, if someone hits something and pays for it out of pocket, no claim, no data reported, no Carfax hit!

I ran a car fax and it came back clean. No accident / damage reported to CARFAX

03/18/2008 5 miles New York

Motor Vehicle Dept.

East Elmhurst, NY Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Registered as

rental vehicle

(major car rental company)

10/06/2008 12,703 miles Auto Auction Sold at auction

in New York

Listed as

a manufacturer vehicle

10/08/2008 13,207 miles Family Ford

Waterbury, CT

203-757-1201

www.familyford.com

Vehicle offered for sale

11/08/2008 14,937 miles Family Ford

Waterbury, CT

203-757-1201

www.familyford.com

Vehicle sold TO ME

A car that new was an auction car? How would it be listed as a mfr vehicle after being a rental car? Is that odd?

I did some googleng, It seems like rental company have some kind of aragement with the Manufactures.

Here is what I found:

Manufacturer Vehicle — Manufacturer vehicles are vehicles put up for sale by the manufacturer. These vehicles are typically only available to dealers at special auctions. These vehicles have generally been registered as lease or rental vehicles.

That is interesting.

How bad is the bubbling? Just a little? Does the bumper look like it was replaced or painted? What I understand about plastic bumpers is that if they are damaged they have to be replaced, cannot be repaired well.

The truck I just traded in after driving it for 7 yrs was used and it became apparent shortly after I bought it. I was lucky to find a new 2008 Edge for only a bit more than used ones, so I decided to go for it. The commercials for Carfax are very misleading and especially after the insurance adjustor posted that they are unreliable.

• 2 months later...