Considering a MKX

franks1

I am considering buying a MKX limited. I have looked at everything from the Mercedes GLK, Volvo XC60, Audi Q5, BWM x3, Murano, Acura RD.

After months of 24 hr test drives and counting pennies it looks like a MKX which was added as an after thought on my list.

Just wanted to get peoples impressions with the MKX as mine were ones of suprise so it would be interesting to see how my thought process lines up.

- GLK too small for the money but feels solid. Interior very cheap looking.

- XC60 - dealerships not willing to really move on price, just say if you dont want it someone else will. Mileage one of the worst. Nice looking though.

- X3 - last year for the current design, so not a good time to buy plus rough ride.

- Q5 - add in options and becomes very expensive.

- RD - rough ride and the 2.5 turbo makes a lot of noise

- Murano - nice but too small and find it quirky looking

MKX - nice size. Engine revs a bit when flooring it compared to others. Road noise is very quiet. Nice trim, grill take it or leave it. Mileage is confusing. Broshure as for AWD 30 MPG (hiway), search internet, US Reviews say something like 22 MPG. Check FORD.CA, it says 30 MPG. I understand it may be less but what is the actual specs?

Only MKX and X3 had the full service piece for oil changes, brakes etc. Nice touch.

I am considering buying a MKX limited. I have looked at everything from the Mercedes GLK, Volvo XC60, Audi Q5, BWM x3, Murano, Acura RD.

After months of 24 hr test drives and counting pennies it looks like a MKX which was added as an after thought on my list.

Just wanted to get peoples impressions with the MKX as mine were ones of suprise so it would be interesting to see how my thought process lines up.

- XC60 - dealerships not willing to really move on price, just say if you dont want it someone else will. Mileage one of the worst. Nice looking though.

- X3 - last year for the current design, so not a good time to buy plus rough ride.

MKX - nice size. Engine revs a bit when flooring it compared to others. Road noise is very quiet. Nice trim, grill take it or leave it. Mileage is confusing. Broshure as for AWD 30 MPG (hiway), search internet, US Reviews say something like 22 MPG. Check FORD.CA, it says 30 MPG. I understand it may be less but what is the actual specs?

Only MKX and X3 had the full service piece for oil changes, brakes etc. Nice touch.

Hi franks. :D Tha MKX is a beautiful vehicle and all things considered (looks, price, performance, features, quality etc) I would highly recommend it.

The "problem" you are facing with the MPG figures is that if you see an MPG figure in Canada it is using the Imperial (or UK) Gallon for their figures (or it will be in liters, not gallons). The US uses the US Gallon. The Imperial gallon is a larger volume. One Imperial gallon equals approximately 1.2 US gallons, so the Canadian mileage figure "looks" higher.

In other words, the mileage is exactly the same, the "gallons" are just two different sizes. :yup:

We do not know where you are located, so we can not tell you which figure is correct for you. So use the measurement figure that uses the same "gallon" measurement as where you are located. Or convert the proper gallon figure to liters.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I can never figure out how to reply to these posts... So hopefully you see this reply re the MKX....

I have a 2007 MKX AWD. Two years later I am as satisfied now as when I bought it... That is, Extremely satisfied... Regarding mileage, not good in the city... On the highway with cruise control on and mostly using +/- to increase/decrease speed, the best I've done at 70/75 mph is 23.5 mpg per the guage... I will say, I swithched over to the MKX after many years of having Mercury Grand Marquis'.. The ride is very good especially around turns, not much lean. Takes bumps well.. It has a vey clean and uncluttered look outside and inside. Switches are easy to use. (I don't have the nav or the sunroof). Do have THX which is incredible.. You may think (at least in my 2007) that the seats might be a little firm... However, when you've driven for 2/3 hours consecutive you begin to realize how friendly these seats are to your back... Just be careful if they are still selling the light dashboard. The glare is terrible on the light dashboard.. Mine is darker gray. And that's fine.. Yes, it does seem like it's whining when you hit the gas hard... But during two years I've had no problems. And passing at higher speeds is not a problem... Hope this helps... Good luck with your ultimate choice....

Thanks for the responses, I am in Canada and should have guessed the issue about MPG. I normally use L/100K any way it was just in searching sites for info the MPG ratings were different and it did not even click about the differences in the gallon sizing.

Looks like the MKX is the leader of the bunch, mostly due to the great offer of Ford / Lincoln this days for lease and finance rates. I have found that the Audi and Volvo dealterships are arrogant in many ways (I drive a Volvo today) but the the Ford / Lincoln dealership you can see they want the business and are prepared to earn it. The Mercedes folks are pretty good to, it is just that the GLK although built well is small compared to all the ones I looked at and going to a ML class is something I do not want to do.

If the MKX is what I go with, I will drive up to the volvo dealership and talk to sales team about how to do business in todays economy.

"I havd an 08 MKX and it's junk. My best advice would be wait for the new Cadillac crossover to come out. I'll sell you mine for what I owe on it. "

Yeah Cadillac, then in 6 months there will be nothing but a bankrupt company claiming they'll take care of you.

It sounds like you got a lemon and that sucks, but don't visit every topic clamoring how bad Ford and Lincoln are. It gets old and your bitter post get ignored. If all EDGE MKX's were as bad as YOU claim they are, the vehicles wouldn't exist anymore and the customer satisfaction wouldn't be above average.

Edited by hydro

Yeah, then in 6 months there will be nothing but a bankrupt company claiming they'll take care of you.

It sounds like you got a lemon and that sucks, but don't visit every topic clamoring how bad Ford and Lincoln are. It gets old and your bitter post get ignored. If all EDGE MKX's were as bad as YOU claim they are, the vehicles wouldn't exist anymore and the customer satisfaction wouldn't be above average.

Did the deal yesterday. After testing all products in this market space, comparing price, options, saftey, ride, comfort, handling, performance, cargo space and a few others items, it was the one that I came home with. This was two months of research as the cross over segment is still being defined somewhat.

In 4 years time I will be looking for a hybrid type cross over.

I will say that my overall first choice would have been the Mercedes GLK if it was a little bigger (not ML size) and the cost was a little lower. The Volvo XC60 was in race but in the end the arrogant sales staff cost them as I refused to discuss it further with them. Their attitude, every one wants it, only so many released to Canada blah blah. Funny, I got a call 2 weeks ago from a dealership saying someone ordered one in on spec and refused it and they wanted to know if I wanted it. Of course pretty much at list, ask for a small discount to take it off their hands and they gave me the cold shoulder.

Don't get me wrong, I like the MKX but in the end it was really the dealerships willingness to work on the price and their financing rates that sold me. So I get a nice shiny new car with pretty well all the options with the exception of NAV for less than the others I mentioned. Less on the purchase price and much less on the financing. Now that is doing business. Argue as you like about the value of the vehicle in 4 years but what I save on the frontend and "lose" on the backend is nearly a wash when it is all said and done. Add in the 4 years of routine service and the savings are even better.