Chrome wheels

I would appreciate some help understanding how to clean the chrome clad wheels.

I got it washed Saturday nite and the wheels did not clean up well inside the spokes. Yesterday I got down on the ground eye to eye with the wheels and tried to wipe the gunk off with a damp towel. Some came off but there are areas where it looks dull and stained for lack of a better word. Has anyone had wheels that have been etched like that? My Edge only has 2800 miles.

Is chrome polish ok to use?

I have read some posts here about these wheels going bad and I see where there is bubbling in places and the edges are pitted. What a bummer.

Thanks in advance. :)

I would appreciate some help understanding how to clean the chrome clad wheels.

I got it washed Saturday nite and the wheels did not clean up well inside the spokes. Yesterday I got down on the ground eye to eye with the wheels and tried to wipe the gunk off with a damp towel. Some came off but there are areas where it looks dull and stained for lack of a better word. Has anyone had wheels that have been etched like that? My Edge only has 2800 miles.

Is chrome polish ok to use?

I have read some posts here about these wheels going bad and I see where there is bubbling in places and the edges are pitted. What a bummer.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi igcitng. :D The recommended cleaning and maintenance method is to treat them just as you would your paint finish. So, wash them with your regular car wash soap and water, rinsing well before and after the wash. Use a very soft wheel brush or a wash mitt (what I use) to get in between the spokes. You cannot just spray water between the spokes and expect them to get clean. You need to manually get in between the spokes and agitate the dirt, or they will not get clean. Then if/when needed, give them a good coat of wax and buff off to shine and protect. If you wax them regularly, you will find that they will clean much easier and stay shiny longer.

I use Meguiar's "Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo" and "Meguiar's Liquid Cleaner Wax" for my chrome wheels ("Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo" and "Gold Class Liquid Wax" for the paint). My car and wheels are now over 2 1/2 years old and still look new.

Do not use any acidic spray on wheel cleaners, as that will dull them. If you bring your cars through a car wash (I never do) , also tell them not to use the spray on wheel cleaners before the wash either.

Concerning a chrome polish. I do not want to say that you should not use one, but I can say that I have had no need for one.

Here is some added information from the Owners Manual concerning cleaning of the wheels on our vehicles:

ALUMINUM WHEELS AND WHEEL COVERS

Aluminum wheels and wheel covers are coated with a clearcoat paint

finish. In order to maintain their shine:

• Clean weekly with Motorcraft Wheel and Tire Cleaner (ZC-37-A),

which is available from your authorized dealer. Heavy dirt and brake

dust accumulation may require agitation with a sponge. Rinse

thoroughly with a strong stream of water.

• Never apply any cleaning chemical to hot or warm wheel rims or

covers.

• Some automatic car washes may cause damage to the finish on your

wheel rims or covers. Chemical-strength cleaners, or cleaning

chemicals, in combination with brush agitation to remove brake dust

and dirt, could wear away the clearcoat finish over time.

• Do not use hydrofluoric acid-based or high caustic-based wheel

cleaners, steel wool, fuels or strong household detergent.

• To remove tar and grease, use Motorcraft Bug and Tar Remover

(ZC-42), available from your authorized dealer.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Wow, thank you for so much info.

I will try to get the dull areas with some soap and a soft brush. I tried it with water and a rag because I did not know what was safe to use. The face of the wheels look great, the insides of the spokes need some more work. And I am a fan of Meguiars, good stuff.

Unfortunately I have to depend on using the car wash because it is difficult for me to do it myself, and especially being in a cold climate I need to wash in the winter to keep the salt off. I do make sure to only use car washes that are touchless and do not have the rails around the wheels or go to Turtlewax and have the guys there wash it.

I am still recovering from the cleaning I gave them on Sunday. :)

Thanks again for the great advice, I am so used to my old wash-and-wear aluminum rims.

For the chrome wheels polish them with a chrome polish (use a powerball if there are stubborn spots) and then wax them to seal the polish. If that doesn't get your worst areas clean, a chrome wheel acid will. Just try and keep it off of the wheel lips. After acid, immediately follow with polish and wax.

I tried plastic pool furniture cleaner and it worked well. Nothing beats elbow grease and plain 'ol soap. never use an acid based cleaner on plastic.

As long as your chrome is in good shape (no holes or pits) you can use acid on the plastic. Chrome is the coating and the acid won't penetrate the plastic.