U Haul hitches - any experience?

I bought a leftover 2008 Edge limited with the Sport suspension upgrade (20" wheels and all). I would like to get a camper for the family since the kids are old enough now to enjoy camping but just don't have the time/tools to install a hitch myself. We have a pretty good UHaul center here in the Albany, Ny area and they've quoted me $200 for a Class III hitch installed.

I see the majority of folks here use the Curt hitches and for the most part have done the install themselves, but as stated it's just not in the cards for me. Has anyone had UHaul install one of their hitches on the Edge? If so how good was the install (cutting, drilling necessary or was it bolt on)? What price did you pay? Are you happy with the job overall?

I've searched the threads for U-Haul and Uhaul and have looked through a ton of information but only found one true reference to UHaul and it didn't sound pretty...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff G

Schenectady, NY

I bought a leftover 2008 Edge limited with the Sport suspension upgrade (20" wheels and all). I would like to get a camper for the family since the kids are old enough now to enjoy camping but just don't have the time/tools to install a hitch myself. We have a pretty good UHaul center here in the Albany, Ny area and they've quoted me $200 for a Class III hitch installed.

I see the majority of folks here use the Curt hitches and for the most part have done the install themselves, but as stated it's just not in the cards for me. Has anyone had UHaul install one of their hitches on the Edge? If so how good was the install (cutting, drilling necessary or was it bolt on)? What price did you pay? Are you happy with the job overall?

I've searched the threads for U-Haul and Uhaul and have looked through a ton of information but only found one true reference to UHaul and it didn't sound pretty...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff G

Schenectady, NY

I can't comment on U Haul directly, but i think $200 is a good price for the hitch and installation. The cheapest I could find my Curt hitch listed for was $145 shipped. I'd be interested to know what brand of hitch they are installing, but if you feel comfortable with that particluar shop, there shouldn't be any reason to not have them do it. The people working there are more important than the name of the shop.

There are Class III hitches out there that do not require drilling any holes. They use 2 bolts per side. The Curt does require drilling an additional hole on each side and uses 3 bolts per side.

I can't comment on U Haul directly, but i think $200 is a good price for the hitch and installation. The cheapest I could find my Curt hitch listed for was $145 shipped. I'd be interested to know what brand of hitch they are installing, but if you feel comfortable with that particluar shop, there shouldn't be any reason to not have them do it. The people working there are more important than the name of the shop.

There are Class III hitches out there that do not require drilling any holes. They use 2 bolts per side. The Curt does require drilling an additional hole on each side and uses 3 bolts per side.

Thanks for the input PSUFetch,

I was really hoping to hear someone had UHaul do their hitch and the job was excellent so I wouldn't have to be the Guinnea pig :-) The hitch itself is $149 and they stated the whole thing installed would be $199 plus sales tax. So I figure for $50 they can do the job if they're competent and don't hack my Edge apart...

Jeff G

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also intersted in this as we'll be renting a uhaul trailer in a couple of months. Is the Curt hitch a better hitch then other after markets?

Well the overall silence regarding my U-Haul question was deafening so I ended up searching eBay for my hitch. There is a dealer in Springfield, MA selling the Curt hitch for $157 shipped UPS ground so I grabbed one. My Ford dealer (been going there for almost 20 years now) installed the hitch for free - always bring coffee and donuts to the body shop guys!

We pickup our new to us 2008 Flagstaff 208 pop-up camper on Thursday. I was able to get the RV dealer to install the trailer wiring and brake controller for $182 and that's with a "T" connector kit not splicing into the wiring harness. I'm sure the'll run the power under the car to the battery compartment but I'm OK with that.

Jeff G

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 2010 Edge. Wanted to have a receiver hitch installed for my bike rack, but the dealer quoted around $250 for the hitch and another $250 for the install, which seemed way out of line. He did mention they had to cut some molding to fit the hitch. Do all of the aftermarket hitches requiring trimming, are are there some that just bolt on?

Don't need any wiring harness, since it won't be used to haul trailers.

nimrodxi,

I have a Curt hitch installed on my Edge. I also have the factory hitch that came with the towing package. As you can see form the picture, the Curt does not require any cutting of the molding. I did have to cut the heat shields that are beween the muffler and the rear cargo area. The instructions that come with the hitch are very straightforward and the shields can easily be cut with hand snips.

Here is a picture

med_gallery_5820_179_68244.jpg

Here is a link to my post with some additional info about the hitch install.

Hitch info

Edited by PSUFetch