My own Cargo cover

Another mod I did, is designing and assembling a non-retractable cargo cover. It is easily removable at any given time and can be stored flat on the trunk floor.

It is constructed from a ¼” plywood core covered on both faces with a black automotive grade carpet. It is supported by a ¾” aluminium tubing in the back (near the back seats) and by black nylon laces attached to the door pillar. The front has also been reinforced with a ¾” aluminium tubing. The aluminium back tubing is inserted into half circle rubber inserts fixed to the side panel. It is 6” from the back seat to allow normal reclining. The carpet is attached to the back seat using regular snaps. The snap easily disengage from the weight of the seat when using the electric folding feature. As the door rises, the cover lifts. Both strings are attached to the door pillar. It is non retractable, but still practical.

Enjoy!

Norm

post-2087-1249355856_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249355878_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249355900_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249356018_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249356057_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249356078_thumb.jpg

well done... this one might get some followers and maybe some design improvements by the next guy :)

how did you make the outline/stencil? cardboard?

can you show a better pict of the rod/attachment at the rear seat area?

Thanks Lex,

I used cardboard to get a general idea of the shape. Once I had a fairly good pattern design, I removed 2” all the way around, except at the back where the tube support is. The cardboard was then use to replicate the shape on the ¼” plywood. The carpet has been glued over the plywood using 3M upholstery glue (Spray). The carpet size at this point was exceeding more then 4” all the way around except for the back (toward the seats) where I left 10”. Both side of the plywood were covered the same way. The result is a solid core (Carpet + Plywood + Carpet) and soft edges (Carpet + Carpet).

For the rod attachment, I went for simplicity. I bought 2 X ¾" rubber foot from the local hardware store. I cut off one side to get a U shape and screw those support directly on the side plastic panel at ±7” from the back seats. Voilà! The aluminium support tube can easily slide in and out the U shape rubber support and the back seats can recline normally without hitting the aluminium support tube.

The plywood is screwed to the aluminium tube with small black screws hidden by the carpet. The tube is situated at the back edge of the plywood. The extra 10” of carpet is folded downward and attached to the back seats with 3 snaps. The final contour was cut in place with a good pair of scissors to assure a perfect fit.

post-2087-1249434901_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249434917_thumb.jpg

post-2087-1249435047_thumb.jpg

Norm,

Nicely done. It's too bad Ford didn't bother to do somethign like this. It's almost like they ran out of money when it came time for the cargo area.

It looks like you have a cargo net. Can you provide details of where you got it, part number and cost?

Thanks

This guy has 3 for 13 dollars on Ebay

Cargo net

you could also use one made for a motorcycle.. pretty similar in design and size. 'maybe' not as fit perfect and price is about the same so I would likely do this Ford specific one.. but just an FYI to consider

on the 2009, what makes the cargo net specific to the 2009? does the 2009 floor have holes or attachments built in for the hooks? or does it just wrap around and attach to itself?

Edited by Lex Talionis

you could also use one made for a motorcycle.. pretty similar in design and size. 'maybe' not as fit perfect and price is about the same so I would likely do this Ford specific one.. but just an FYI to consider

on the 2009, what makes the cargo net specific to the 2009? does the 2009 floor have holes or attachments built in for the hooks? or does it just wrap around and attach to itself?

The 2009 Edge does have a few buttons and latches in the cargo area to attach the net.

Edited by pxb006

Depends how high the lip is. Works with my Ford cargo liner.

The 2009 has "button" fasteners ( I think 4 of them) installed in the side trim of the cargo area up high on both sides and also 2 "latch" type rings on the floor door trim piece on either side of the door latch. I don't know if there are any on the floor itself so it might not interfere with a cargo mat. Not sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...