Cabin driver and passenger hand rails/support

Hello everybody, I got my ford edge 2008 limited last Feb.'09. It was great and superb in size and interior is very spacious. only one thing is, no hand rails. Did anybody tried to install hand rails on your fordy? I check with my dealer/workshop, and they don't have or don't install. Any info./help is appreciated.

thanks,

manny

if you look real close, it seems like there is 1 fold away version for the front seat passengers side in the ceiling?

I use to love mine in my VW. wish I had them. But I think a retrofit is going to be tough - maybe less tough for the rear seats as I do not think there are airbags in the rear pillars, but frankly, who cares about them for the backseat people :) but hard to say unless one tries.

not seen anyone here.

I assume you mean on the inside on the pillar for drive and passenger? if so, hard to do as those have air bags under them. imagine that scenario :o

maybe you could do in the roof liner, IF you can find something to attache to, but I doubt it.

Yes, the handle that attached on the pillar, back side there are grab handles but as I said driver and front passenger doesn't. It's convinient to have something to hold or grab while going out/in of the car. Is it possible to install without jeopardizing the operation of the side airbag? Or could it be possible on the forward sloping pillar?

Is it possible to install without jeopardizing the operation of the side airbag? Or could it be possible on the forward sloping pillar?

I would say no way. that piece is made to fold away, nothing behind it to anchor to. and IF you found a way to do it, would you want a hand rail imprint on/in your face if the bag deployed :shades:

I think worse than an imprint. When I had my wreck last year the bodyshop gave me an interesting lesson in airbags. I was t-boned so I did not experience the airbag, but for some reason it came up. Said that the airbag inflates SO quickly and it displaces enough air at enough pressue to blow a sunroof and windows out if the vehicle is closed up. People also break their arms depending on how they are holding the wheel. Airbags are nothing to mess with. When XM radio came out I had one installed and the ding dong wanted to put the mount in front of the passenger airbag. Gotta watch everything these guys do when they work on your car. :banghead:

I say forego the Jesus bars.

I would say no way. that piece is made to fold away, nothing behind it to anchor to. and IF you found a way to do it, would you want a hand rail imprint on/in your face if the bag deployed :shades:

I think worse than an imprint. When I had my wreck last year the bodyshop gave me an interesting lesson in airbags. I was t-boned so I did not experience the airbag, but for some reason it came up. Said that the airbag inflates SO quickly and it displaces enough air at enough pressue to blow a sunroof and windows out if the vehicle is closed up. People also break their arms depending on how they are holding the wheel. Airbags are nothing to mess with. When XM radio came out I had one installed and the ding dong wanted to put the mount in front of the passenger airbag. Gotta watch everything these guys do when they work on your car. :banghead:

Thanks for the advise, now I came to know why they did't put that handle because of the safety measure.

I hit a Kia Spectra nearly head-on @ 45mph in my '92 SC400 (she ran the red light). I closed my eyes at impact because I didn't want my eyes burned by the air bag. It did burn my chin/neck and inner arms, but I was a-ok...as you can see, I tore the hell outta that Kia. All parties were ok.

post-4426-1249499891_thumb.jpg

post-4426-1249500169_thumb.jpg

post-4426-1249500204_thumb.jpg

post-4426-1249500241_thumb.jpg

post-4426-1249499846_thumb.jpg

post-4426-1249499865_thumb.jpg

post-4426-1249499880_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJ Nap

'potential' airbag injuries are well documented... but I will take them any day of the week over the alternative.

Hells yeah. My 2 girls were in the car and that year SC400 only had one airbag, other than a little seat belt burn, they were fine... we had just left mcd's w/ mcflurries and I said "don't spill those things"...they didn't get in trouble over the freshly mcflurried interior, lol