Idle Speed Fluctuations

pamx

I own a 2008 Ford Edge, which currently has 35,000 miles. Recently I noticed that my idle speed is fluctuating about 500rpm. I first noticed it after completing a 260 mile trip and associated it with the A/C being on. After shutting A/C off, I realized that the A/C just made it more noticeable but it was still there. When stopped at a light, the rpm drops from its usual 600rpm's to about 400 and then increase to about 900. Problem is fairly constant once the engine warms up, about once every three seconds. I don't see the problem when engine is cold. I think I can feel rpm changes while driving as well.

Any ideas?

Edited by pamx

• 2 weeks later...
I own a 2008 Ford Edge, which currently has 35,000 miles. Recently I noticed that my idle speed is fluctuating about 500rpm. I first noticed it after completing a 260 mile trip and associated it with the A/C being on. After shutting A/C off, I realized that the A/C just made it more noticeable but it was still there. When stopped at a light, the rpm drops from its usual 600rpm's to about 400 and then increase to about 900. Problem is fairly constant once the engine warms up, about once every three seconds. I don't see the problem when engine is cold. I think I can feel rpm changes while driving as well.

Any ideas?

Brought it to dealer and they replaced the air filter. I told them that the one in it was new but they insisted it was now corrected. Problem still there. Bringing it back for service tomorrow.

Any ideas?

Sounds like it could be the Electronic Throttle Body, but without seeing the car and checking it out myselft, that is just a guess.

Sounds like a camshaft position sensor issue. My idle would jump up and down stopped with foot on brake. I believe this went on for a week or so before the check engine light came on. Camshaft position sensor is a known issue with these cars.

Just curious, since you have the repair manual and any moron and fix a car, how would you go about fixing this concern. Do you also have an IDS, you must, since you have it all and know it all.

Just curious, since you have the repair manual and any moron and fix a car, how would you go about fixing this concern. Do you also have an IDS, you must, since you have it all and know it all.

Is it really necessary to follow BlazedUp from thread to thread trolling?

Good stuff ablb!

Edited by pxb006

Is it really necessary to follow BlazedUp from thread to thread trolling?

Good stuff ablb!

If he wasn't one here giving out so much wrong info I wouldn't bother with him, But most of what he writes is just wrong. I come on and help when i can. If you want to call me a bully or troll thats fine. But I have been on here for a long time. Also i wan't following him, incase you didn't notice i did post advice on the topic.

Edited by druck52

I was simply stating that we had a similiar issue. Foot on brake and idle would fluctuate. I was just offering a possible solution, since the dealer replaced a clean air filter hoping the problem would dissipate into thin air. I never intentionally post "wrong" information and I do not know why you get your panties in a wad Druck. This was not directed towards you, nor was this thread. I am here to help, and I thought you were too. If you have nothing better to do than to troll, I suggest you look up the IDS because it is not available in the on-line repair PDF. If you have nothing good to say, or no help to offer don't bother to post. Also, the oasis database has this issue noted, but I am sure you already knew that ;)

I was simply stating that we had a similiar issue. Foot on brake and idle would fluctuate. I was just offering a possible solution, since the dealer replaced a clean air filter hoping the problem would dissipate into thin air. I never intentionally post "wrong" information and I do not know why you get your panties in a wad Druck. This was not directed towards you, nor was this thread. I am here to help, and I thought you were too. If you have nothing better to do than to troll, I suggest you look up the IDS because it is not available in the on-line repair PDF. If you have nothing good to say, or no help to offer don't bother to post. Also, the oasis database has this issue noted, but I am sure you already knew that ;)

Appreciate the input. Just got it back from the dealer and they replaced the electronic throttle body. It appears to have fixed the problem and in all honesty it feels much more responsive. The dealer said that Fords Internal Hotline suggest changing this unit for almost any kind of idle problem and that Ford has had to replace a bunch already.