Edge replaces Windstar

Ile Edge

Just replaced our 98 Windstar (160,000 miles) with a 2010 Edge (25 miles). I nursed that old Windstar through some trying times & had to do some realy off the wall repairs but would probably still have it if not for the "clunkers" deal & a lot of rust starting to show up on the body. I spent a few minutes under the new Edge today & have noticed that it is made with a lot of pockets, nooks & cranneys that will I'm sure trap dirt,road salt & moisture. If all goes well I plan to keep the Edge a good many years, & am contemplating rust proofing which I did not do on the Windstar. I'm looking for feedback as to methods, brands etc.

Just replaced our 98 Windstar (160,000 miles) with a 2010 Edge (25 miles). I nursed that old Windstar through some trying times & had to do some realy off the wall repairs but would probably still have it if not for the "clunkers" deal & a lot of rust starting to show up on the body. I spent a few minutes under the new Edge today & have noticed that it is made with a lot of pockets, nooks & cranneys that will I'm sure trap dirt,road salt & moisture. If all goes well I plan to keep the Edge a good many years, & am contemplating rust proofing which I did not do on the Windstar. I'm looking for feedback as to methods, brands etc.

Hi Ile Edge. :D Aftermarket rustproofing treatments are not recommended and not necessary on modern cars. In most cases they will do more harm then good, blocking drain holes and trapping moisture in places that would otherwise drain properly.

There are also a lot of hoops you need to jump through to keep the aftermarket "Rustproofing Warranty" in effect (i.e. yearly inspections or re-treatments), that most people eventually forget to do and wind up voiding the aftermarket Warranty.

Of course opinions will vary, but if you ask any automotive expert (who is not trying to sell you a treatment themselves) and they will tell you to save your money.

Hope this information helps.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

I agree, don't bother. I read somewhere that it is a scam, just like the paint protection the dealers try to sell people. I highly doubt rustproofing a put together car would even help, would miss a lot anyway.

We have something in common. I traded in my 2001 Blazer with about 120k miles on it for my Edge. Lot of repairs and an accident that did not help things. This past winter before I traded it in my four wheel drive went out constantly. It ran on some kind of pressure system using a diaphram. Replaced it with an aftermarket part, didn't work. Only thing that worked was putting the old one back and using a paperclip and a piece of tape to hold the moving parts in place and covering the hole in the diaphram to work. It got me thru the winter. Having a new car that does not break all of the time has left me with a lot of spare time. :)