18" vs 20" tires?

Bobby

BBF thanks for your reply. As of now there is nothing physically wrong with the wheels. Just a bit disturbed considering the sales person described them as actual chrome rims which had a special treatment which will protect them during the winter months. I never thought I should peal the protective plastic film which was covering the wheels off and inspect them.

As far as an aftermarket part which is recalled I am not to sure that is entirely correct (however I could be wrong as well) When I look at the description of part #1007a its weight is 34 lbs and for $752.78 and the image listed appears to be pointing to the wheel

I've stated this in other threads but I'll say it here again.

REAL Chrome wheels should always be taken off your car during the winter weather, particularly in areas that use road salt. Salt and salt water are chrome's worst enemy. When chrome is exposed to salt, a chemical reaction occurs in which the salt literally "eats" the chromium right off the finish. This causes the chrome to eventually flake off and pits the metal surface of the wheel, often causing a condition in which the tires cannot seal correctly because the underlying surface of the wheel is flaking and pitted. This problem by removing the flaking chrome and underlying corrosion with a special grinding disc. Salt corrosion will destroy a chrome finish within a very few years.

IF manufactured correctly the chrome clad wheel will be more resistant to the elements and keep it luster much longer. Ford has had some issues in the past with its chrome clad wheels flaking and from what im hearing have changed their supplier. That might be why the website you're listing has a recall listed for them.

So in all actuality you might have gotten a better wheel than you thought.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

BBF thanks for your reply. As of now there is nothing physically wrong with the wheels. Just a bit disturbed considering the sales person described them as actual chrome rims which had a special treatment which will protect them during the winter months. I never thought I should peal the protective plastic film which was covering the wheels off and inspect them.

As far as an aftermarket part which is recalled I am not to sure that is entirely correct (however I could be wrong as well) When I look at the description of part #1007a its weight is 34 lbs and for $752.78 and the image listed appears to be pointing to the wheel

Hi k_m. :D You misunderstood what I was attempting to state. Sorry if my reply is a bit confusing. Let me try to explain again:

I was not inferring that the "recall" mentioned on that site was for some other part. It does refer to wheels. Just not the wheels already on your Edge or the Edge's of other owners.

I am stating that the wheels already on your Edge are not "recalled". A "recall" would mean that Edge owners would get a letter from Ford asking them to bring their vehicles in for inspection and replacement of their wheels. That has not happened to date.

Ford is not recalling the wheels that have been put on factory vehicles and are already sold to the general public. Nor are they recalling the wheels that are on cars still sitting on the Dealers lots.

Ford is simply replacing wheels that show signs of material defect or workmanship, if an Edge owner comes in and complains about a problem with the wheels.

The "recall" you are referring to is simply a recall from distributors and warehouses of those wheels that were produced by the old manufacturer/supplier and not yet sold. The chrome clad wheels manufactured by the old supplier are not to be sold aftermarket anymore, and are to be returned to Ford/the supplier. Only the chrome clad wheels being manufactured by the new supplier are to be sold (as MOFSTEEL mentioned). That is the "recall" in question. It does not apply to the wheels on your vehicle. And those "new supplier" wheels are already being installed on Edge's coming out of the factory.

In fact, while none of us can be sure from where we sit, your Edge may already have the chrome clad wheels from the new supplier.

In your case (and the case of other owners), the wheels on your vehicles will only be replaced if they show signs of material defect or workmanship. Otherwise, there will be no Warranty replacement (unless you are one hell of a negotiator). In other words, if you have nothing wrong with your wheels (as you say is the current situation) and go to the Dealership to ask for them to be replaced, they will not be replaced.

In addition, MOFSTEEL's description of actual chrome wheels is also correct. You would not want them on your car for winter use. And as far as what you were told by the salesman...well...as often happens, he lied. Always ask for any promise like that to be verified by something in writing from Ford (i.e. in a brochure), if you care about the truth.

I hope this explanation is a bit less confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi k_m. :D You misunderstood what I was attempting to state. Sorry if my reply is a bit confusing. Let me try to explain again:

I was not inferring that the "recall" mentioned on that site was for some other part. It does refer to wheels. Just not the wheels already on your Edge or the Edge's of other owners.

I am stating that the wheels already on your Edge are not "recalled". A "recall" would mean that Edge owners would get a letter from Ford asking them to bring their vehicles in for inspection and replacement of their wheels. That has not happened to date.

Ford is not recalling the wheels that have been put on factory vehicles and are already sold to the general public. Nor are they recalling the wheels that are on cars still sitting on the Dealers lots.

Ford is simply replacing wheels that show signs of material defect or workmanship, if an Edge owner comes in and complains about a problem with the wheels.

The "recall" you are referring to is simply a recall from distributors and warehouses of those wheels that were produced by the old manufacturer/supplier and not yet sold. The chrome clad wheels manufactured by the old supplier are not to be sold aftermarket anymore, and are to be returned to Ford/the supplier. Only the chrome clad wheels being manufactured by the new supplier are to be sold (as MOFSTEEL mentioned). That is the "recall" in question. It does not apply to the wheels on your vehicle. And those "new supplier" wheels are already being installed on Edge's coming out of the factory.

In fact, while none of us can be sure from where we sit, your Edge may already have the chrome clad wheels from the new supplier.

In your case (and the case of other owners), the wheels on your vehicles will only be replaced if they show signs of material defect or workmanship. Otherwise, there will be no Warranty replacement (unless you are one hell of a negotiator). In other words, if you have nothing wrong with your wheels (as you say is the current situation) and go to the Dealership to ask for them to be replaced, they will not be replaced.

In addition, MOFSTEEL's description of actual chrome wheels is also correct. You would not want them on your car for winter use. And as far as what you were told by the salesman...well...as often happens, he lied. Always ask for any promise like that to be verified by something in writing from Ford (i.e. in a brochure), if you care about the truth.

THANKS for the explanations. That clears things up.

Also, I do understand that its best to take chrome wheels off during the winter, yet we have a Lexus with chrome wheels and never had a problem and never switched during the winter months. So far everything is fine and we had it for 7 years now. All we have done was applied chrome polish & protectant and so far so good.

Do you know when Ford changed the supplier, just wonder if my 09 Edge would be with the new supplier or not....