18" vs 20" tires?

Bobby

Hi all,

I'll be buying an edge soon and I'm undecided about upgrading to the 20" tires option.What are the advantages of a 20" over a 18"?

Thanx,

Bobby

Hi Bobby. :D Need to state upfront that I am not trying to discourage you from doing what you like, just providing information. So here goes:

Concerning larger wheels and handling: In the June 2009 Motor Trend, there was a comparison test done between the Ford Edge Sport, Toyota Venza and Nissan Murano. There was also a very interesting and relevant sidebar article concerning wheel weight and it's effect on handling. Here is the text and a graph from that sidebar article:

UNSPRUNG HEROES

Sure, Dubs look cool...but weight

Unsprung weight, or parts of the car the suspension is not supporting -- e.g., wheels and tires -- is the enemy of high performance. The heavier the wheel/tire combination, the less responsive it is to steering inputs and the less adept it is at absorbing bumps. If you've ever wondered why elite sports cars, sport sedans, and race cars feature the lightest wheels possible, this is the reason. But just because crossovers aren't intended to spend all day hot-lapping at the racetrack doesn't mean they should be burdened with huge and heavy rolling stock, even if it makes them look cooler than a penguin wearing Oakleys. As luck would have it, our three crossovers came with big and even bigger wheels -- 18-, 20-, and 22-inch-diameters -- allowing us to examine the weight penalty as size increases.

Vewhicle - Wheel Size, Type Tire Size - Wheel Weight - Tire Weight - Total Unsprung weight/each corner

Murano - 7.5 x 18 in, cast alum - 235/65 - 24 lb - 33 lb - 57 lb

Venza - 7.5 x 20 in, cast alum - 245/50 - 33 lb - 34 lb - 67 lb

Edge - 9.0 x 22 in, forged alum - 265/40 - 41 lb - 35 lb - 76 lb

(Sorry about the information being crowded up like this. I have tried editing the information to spread it out several times now, but it remains in the same crowded format)

As you can see (and if you read the entire Motor Trend comparison test), the larger diameter wheels of the Edge severely hurt it's ride, handling and acceleration. Those 22" wheels (I know you are only thinking of upgrading to the 20's) were the major cause behind it being ranked third of the three vehicles. With smaller wheels, it would certainly have finished in a better position.

So, taking known information and the above test information into account, here is a short breakdown of the Advantages/Disadvantages of larger diameter 18" vs. 20" wheels:

Advantages

1 - More attractive look, if you like the look of the larger wheels (this is really the sole advantage, as larger wheels are really strictly a styling thing)

Disadvantages

1 - Higher cost, both for the tires and for the wheels.

2 - Slightly rougher/harsher ride due to the shorter sidewalls.

3 - Slightly slower acceleration, due to the slightly heavier wheels and the "Laws of Physics".

4 - Slightly lower MPG figures, due to the slightly heavier wheels and the "Laws of Physics".

5 - Slightly worse handling due to the slightly heavier wheel/tire combo ("unsprung weight") and the "Laws of Physics".

Of course, there are those who will disagree, but the facts are easily verifiable with some research, as in the Motor Trend article (and the "Laws of Physics").

Like most things in life, larger wheels are a compromise. You get the "improved look" at a small expense in other areas (ride, handling, MPG's and acceleration).

And again, I am not trying to discourage you from getting the larger wheels. Like you, I would also upgrade to the 20's if I were in the market tomorrow for a new Edge. But I would also know that it would be strictly for the style factor, as everything else is pretty much a disadvantage. I am simply providing accurate information for you to make an informed decision.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

bbf pretty much nailed it right on with his post.

One thing he did leave out was the steering response. Larger wheels typically have a tire with a lower profile (shorter sidewall) to keep the same overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo, so you generally get a slightly better response to steering inputs. Does this matter in a vehicle like the Edge?....probably not. The tradeoff is a slightly harsher ride over pavement imperfections.

My wife and I have the 20" wheels on our Edge and we like the ride. We never did drive an Edge with 18s, so I have no comparison. I think the 20's fit the Edge much better as well. They don't seem rediculously large on the Edge. We did test drive a Toyota Venza when we were shopping for the Edge. The Venza had 20's and the ride was too harsh for us. The Edge seemed to do a much better job absorbing bumps. I'm not saying it was the 20's on the Venza that made it harsh. I just offer that as a comparison point.

I'd suggest testing both the 18 and 20" wheels back to back onthe same roads to see if you can tell in difference in the ride characteristics, and if you can, is it enough to make you change your mind.

Take a look on TireRack.com for tire prices in the 18 and 20" size as well. I was surprised to see that the OEM 20" tires weren't all that expensive.

Good luck with your descision. Let us know what you decide.

Edited by PSUFetch

Hi all,

I'll be buying an edge soon and I'm undecided about upgrading to the 20" tires option.What are the advantages of a 20" over a 18"?

Thanx,

Bobby

Thanx Guys,the above info was exactly what I was looking for.I appreciate your time.I'll read that articule that was mentioned and probably will test drive both and let you guys know.

Don't buy an AWD model...the PTU seals blow out. I have had my 2010 Edge SEL AWD for 40 days and it spent a total of 10 in the shop...

PTU seal is common problem with the AWD...and the bigger the tire the more fuel you will use...

Hi all,

Thanx,

Bobby

Don't buy an AWD model...the PTU seals blow out. I have had my 2010 Edge SEL AWD for 40 days and it spent a total of 10 in the shop...

PTU seal is common problem with the AWD...and the bigger the tire the more fuel you will use...

WOW that sucks doviosgirl! I read about the burning smell and thought that ford would have tooken care of the reacurring problems with the PTU seal.Apparently not.I'm now having second thoughts about buying this car.Thanx for the info.Anybody else still having problems with the PTU seals on a 2010 edge AWD cars?

Bobby

WOW that sucks doviosgirl! I read about the burning smell and thought that ford would have tooken care of the reacurring problems with the PTU seal.Apparently not.I'm now having second thoughts about buying this car.Thanx for the info.Anybody else still having problems with the PTU seals on a 2010 edge AWD cars?

Bobby

Hi Bobby. :D Like any problem with any vehicle, there are a small percentage of 2007 and up vehicles which had this "leaking PTU" problem. Not nearly as many as some would make it seem. And the problem has been corrected on newer (2009-2010) vehicles. Do a small percentage still have problems, of course, like any defect in any vehicle.

As usual, you need to take any information from the Internet with a grain of salt (and that includes any information I may also give).

You need not worry about a leaking PTU anymore than you would worry about a leaking sunroof, a power window motor going bad, etc etc. Will defects occur and problems happen? Possibly, of course. But no more likely than in any other vehicle.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.

Hi Bobby. :D Like any problem with any vehicle, there are a small percentage of 2007 and up vehicles which had this "leaking PTU" problem. Not nearly as many as some would make it seem. And the problem has been corrected on newer (2009-2010) vehicles. Do a small percentage still have problems, of course, like any defect in any vehicle.

As usual, you need to take any information from the Internet with a grain of salt (and that includes any information I may also give).

You need not worry about a leaking PTU anymore than you would worry about a leaking sunroof, a power window motor going bad, etc etc. Will defects occur and problems happen? Possibly, of course. But no more likely than in any other vehicle.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck.

Your right bbf,My previous post was a knee jerk reaction on discovering that someone had a PTU problem on a 2010 edge.Warranted or not,it still concerned me.I dont want to spend 30+ K on a car and have an issues after the warranty runs out.

FYI-I went to the dealership over the weekend and looked over the wheels.Not a huge difference (appearence wise) between the 18" vs the 20".I decided the 20s aren't worth the extra duckets.Thanx for you input.

Bobby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all,

Thanx,

Bobby

Hi Bobby - went through the same "thinking". As a rule, the larger rim size means lower profile rubber thus harsher ride, greater risk of damage to the rims since there is less rubber between the rim and the road so easy to damage rim as opposed to scuffing the tire. More flex in the 18 inch so might not corner as well. Personally I opted for the 28 for better ride over, for example, speed bumps and rougher roads, less chance of damaging rims in potholes etc. Not to mention, the cost of replacement tires down the road.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Looks were the driving factor for us. We went with the 20's on our 2010 Limited. I like the look with 20's much better. My wife really had no preference between 18's or 20's.

I am confident it will handle and ride just fine for what we do. This Edge will be a grocery and coffee getter most of the time, and a 120 mile round trip up and down the freeway a few times per month. If I was more into performance dirving, I would have given the choice harder consideration.

-Mike

Hey BBF, if the issue with the PTU was resolved, then why are some 2010'S exhibiting this issue ? Obviously Ford has no fix for this issue as it is still occuring. I do agree with you in the fact that some make this out to be a much bigger issue than it is......and those who have had or have this issue will believe it is a major issue, just not as widespread as some may think. It is kinda scary that this issue is still rearing it's it's ugly head 4 years later........ Oy Vey !

Hey BBF, if the issue with the PTU was resolved, then why are some 2010'S exhibiting this issue ? Obviously Ford has no fix for this issue as it is still occuring. I do agree with you in the fact that some make this out to be a much bigger issue than it is......and those who have had or have this issue will believe it is a major issue, just not as widespread as some may think. It is kinda scary that this issue is still rearing it's it's ugly head 4 years later........ Oy Vey !

Hi ThinLine. :D If you reread my reply more carefully, you will see that I clearly stated that a small percentage of vehicles will always display one problem or another and that includes "leaking PTU's". No "problem" or "issue" will ever be completely eliminated, and that includes leaking PTU's. That is an unchangeable fact of life.

Here is a quote from my previous reply, with the pertinent sections in bold:

"Like any problem with any vehicle, there are a small percentage of 2007 and up vehicles which had this "leaking PTU" problem. Not nearly as many as some would make it seem. And the problem has been corrected on newer (2009-2010) vehicles. Do a small percentage still have problems, of course, like any defect in any vehicle.

You need not worry about a leaking PTU anymore than you would worry about a leaking sunroof, a power window motor going bad, etc etc. Will defects occur and problems happen? Possibly, of course. But no more likely than in any other vehicle."

So as you can see, I clearly stated that a certain small percentage of owners will still be unlucky enough to experience a leaking PTU. In the same way that a certain small percentage of owners will be unlucky enough to experience power window problems, leaking sunroofs, blown head gaskets, defective tires (insert any other "issue" you can think of) etc etc.

Bottom line: The PTU is a mass produced mechanical device on a mass produced vehicle. And like every part on every vehicle, no problem will ever be completely eliminated. Problems will occur, and they will be addressed as they occur and fixes implemented. The same problems are experienced in other makers vehicles. Some more often, some less often than others. It is the nature of the mass produced beast.

That was the point of my reply.

Hopefully, this makes my answer clearer.

Also, as a small side point, while the fourth "model year" of the Edge is now out (2007-2008-2009 and now 2010), the Edge itself has only been available for approximately three calendar years (not 4). From approximately late 2006 until now. Not a big deal, just wanted to set the time-line straight.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I just saw this the other day at a dealership --- one pothole/two 20" wheels bent. Much more likely to happen with 20's than 18's.

I was afraid to ask how much the wheels were! :censored:

Edge wheels? 20" are only about $525 each----- My edge was a used car when I bought it-- a 2008 LTD. and had those wheels on it. Had there been a choice, I would have opted for the 18". I would much prefer the smoother ride over the small difference in handling. At my age, I don't play racing games anymore and going around a corner at rubber burning speed just doesn't happen.

Now--- if I could just find a set of add-on spinners------ :shades:

Thanks BBF, that does clear it up. Hey Grey, you are right, rims with a smaller sidewall tire will be more prone to damage from potholes/uneven pavement etc. I do like the look of the 20's but they come with a cheap tire. The 18's at least on the limited's, come with michelins......which are a great tire. When it comes time for replacement, the choice will be easy.

• 1 month later...
Those are cool looking--- but I would like some that are larger in diameter! If you are gonna be crazy like me, you gotta be noticed! :happy feet:

Hey everyone. The 20" rims are cool looking, I bought a 2008 lmtd AWD off the showroom floor, and when I washed the car the first time, i noticed that the huge price tag was not worth it! THEY ARE PLASTIC!!!! Not kidding, the "chrome" 20" rims are plastic covered! I am not happy! only a year later the chrome coating is already coming off in areas!

Hope this helps anyone!

Hey everyone. The 20" rims are cool looking, I bought a 2008 lmtd AWD off the showroom floor, and when I washed the car the first time, i noticed that the huge price tag was not worth it! THEY ARE PLASTIC!!!! Not kidding, the "chrome" 20" rims are plastic covered! I am not happy! only a year later the chrome coating is already coming off in areas!

Hope this helps anyone!

I'm pretty sure everyone in here knows they are chrome clad since near everyone here owns an Edge/MKX. Just have your wheels replaced under warranty. Supposedly Ford has changed their wheel supplier and the issue is resolved.

Just a little 411, if the wheels were actually chrome dipped they would not only be heavier but even more susceptible to pitting and chipping from being exposed the the elements.

To me the chrome clad wheels are the lessor of the two evils.

I'm pretty sure everyone in here knows they are chrome clad since near everyone here owns an Edge/MKX. Just have your wheels replaced under warranty. Supposedly Ford has changed their wheel supplier and the issue is resolved.

Just a little 411, if the wheels were actually chrome dipped they would not only be heavier but even more susceptible to pitting and chipping from being exposed the the elements.

To me the chrome clad wheels are the lessor of the two evils.

My wife an I just bought an 2010 Edge Limited. A couple of days after we noticed that the rims are plastic. We were under the impression that they were actual chrome. Should have searched this forum first.

Can you explain how I can replace them under warranty? We went back to the dealer and didn't receive much help. Will the replacement be actual chrome or will they be another "chrome clad" wheel.

Also these wheels are recalled according to Ford's online part catalogue. See this link http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDeta...amp;search=true

My wife an I just bought an 2010 Edge Limited. A couple of days after we noticed that the rims are plastic. We were under the impression that they were actual chrome. Should have searched this forum first.

Can you explain how I can replace them under warranty? We went back to the dealer and didn't receive much help. Will the replacement be actual chrome or will they be another "chrome clad" wheel.

Also these wheels are recalled according to Ford's online part catalogue. See this link http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDeta...amp;search=true

Hi k_m. :D Not sure what you mean by "Can you explain how I can replace them under warranty?". Other than the fact that you do not like them being "chrome clad", is there anything wrong with any of your wheels? If there is no manufacturing defect with the wheels on your particular Edge (other than being "chrome clad"), then Ford will not replace them.

The unfortunate reality is that up to this point in time, Ford will not replace them "under Warranty" unless something is wrong with them. Either a defect in material or workmanship from the factory, as the Warranty explains, or if they should develop any defects due to material or workmanship during the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

If the wheels should have or develop a defect, then they will be replaced with the current equivalent, which will likely always be another chrome clad wheel. Unless you can convince Ford/the Dealer to do otherwise.

In addition, it is the aftermarket part that was recalled, not the wheels that are installed on the Edge from the factory. I know this may seem confusing, but there is a big difference.

To date, Ford is not recalling or replacing all of those wheels that were installed at the factory. They are only replacing those that customers bring in with defects while still under Warranty. And they are being replaced with a new "improved chrome clad" wheel from a new supplier. Again, unless you can convince Ford/the Dealer to do otherwise.

Hope this information helps (although it is not exactly what you were hoping to hear).

Edited by bbf2530

Hi k_m. :D Not sure what you mean by "Can you explain how I can replace them under warranty?". Other than the fact that you do not like them being "chrome clad", is there anything wrong with any of your wheels? If there is no manufacturing defect with the wheels on your particular Edge (other than being "chrome clad"), then Ford will not replace them.

The unfortunate reality is that up to this point in time, Ford will not replace them "under Warranty" unless something is wrong with them. Either a defect in material or workmanship from the factory, as the Warranty explains, or if they should develop any defects due to material or workmanship during the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

If the wheels should have or develop a defect, then they will be replaced with the current equivalent, which will likely always be another chrome clad wheel. Unless you can convince Ford/the Dealer to do otherwise.

In addition, it is the aftermarket part that was recalled, not the wheels that are installed on the Edge from the factory. I know this may seem confusing, but there is a big difference.

To date, Ford is not recalling or replacing all of those wheels that were installed at the factory. They are only replacing those that customers bring in with defects while still under Warranty. And they are being replaced with a new "improved chrome clad" wheel from a new supplier. Again, unless you can convince Ford/the Dealer to do otherwise.

Hope this information helps (although it is not exactly what you were hoping to hear).

BBF thanks for your reply. As of now there is nothing physically wrong with the wheels. Just a bit disturbed considering the sales person described them as actual chrome rims which had a special treatment which will protect them during the winter months. I never thought I should peal the protective plastic film which was covering the wheels off and inspect them.

As far as an aftermarket part which is recalled I am not to sure that is entirely correct (however I could be wrong as well) When I look at the description of part #1007a its weight is 34 lbs and for $752.78 and the image listed appears to be pointing to the wheel

post-8414-1262565768_thumb.png

Edited by k_m