Fuel Injection cleaners

cteichroeb

techron = good stuff (walmart/autozone/oreillys/etc...)

i've got a bike i use at the track and it runs great. but this weekend i put in about 20% of the recommended amount (1 bottle for 12 gallons, i used maybe 1/5 bottle for 5 gallons) and it ran even better. after i ran low on gas i mixed another tank.

in the cars i try and run a bottle every year or 20,000 miles.

i did a Pro job, from a quicky lube place and paid $60 bucks a few years ago on a 02 Tahoe, couldn't tell a difference.

I use total fuel system cleaner from STP every oil change. I do this as well with my 2001 Mustang since new........I recently tore down the engine to forge the internals @ 50,000 miles, and the heads looked like they were just taken off the shelf. IMO, this is a critical piece of preventitive maintenance on any vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

Nick,I agree,I use Lucas upper cylinder lube every tankful,Years ago I used A marvel mystery oil injector,1 quart per 1000 miles ,had a ford V8 with over 100000 miles and when taken apart every one said they never saw cleaner valves,I still have a brand new marvel injectir,Marty

• 1 month later...

I got this letter from the owner of a professional injector cleaning company (Gordon from Whitch Hunter Services) while I asked about some kind of preventive maintenance, the site is full of really useful information, and be aware that this answer is somewhat taking partially his business, so honestly I trust the guy, and it seems that indeed Chevron is one of the best out there, hope this helps:

"....Thanks for the comments on the site as I spent a lot of time over the past 6 years working on the site, as time permits. It is looking a bit dated and there is much more I would like to add to it, but the 100 hour work weeks prevent doing much to it. But comments such as yours remind me that some folks actually take the time to read it.

There are so many injector cleaners out there with prices ranging from 99 cents to $25 and I find it hard to believe there is that much of a difference between them to justify the cost of some. I, myself use Chevron's Techron about three times a year in my vehicles and some Heet, (a moisture remover) about twice a year. I always follow the directions, since to high a concentration of them could be damaging to seals, the injector coil windings, and possibility other things.

I choose this routine because I bought a 95 Corvette from a friend, (who purchased it new) years ago and he that is what he did, with the addition of using Mobil1 synthetic oil. At 70K miles I pulled the engine down for adding lots of high performance parts, (cam, heads, etc) and was amazed on how clean the internals were. It looked like it had less than 1000 miles on it. The injectors were in good shape, back of the intake valves were clean, the lifter valley was clean enough to eat of of after w wipe down with a clean rag.

I was very impressed since this was the first time the valve covers had been removed.

The EPA has made most all the gas stations replace their leaky tanks, so that is a plus to our cars and environment..."