Drain Tran fluid

John Armstrong

There is no drain plug for the trans. You must remove all the bolts holding the trans pan in place. It is a very messy and stinky job. Be careful and do not get any trans fluid on painted surfaces......it will take the paint right off.

There you go again with wrong information. that is not how you drain the transmission. For the original poster, here is the correct information. This is straight from the workshop manual.

Material Item Specification

MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid

XT-5-QM (or XT-5-QMC) (US); CXT-5-LM12 (Canada) MERCON® V

NOTE: In order to completely clean the torque converter, this procedure needs to be carried out 3 times.

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.

NOTE: If an internal problem is suspected, drain the transmission fluid through a paper filter. A small amount of metal or friction particles may be found from normal wear. If an excessive amount of metal or friction material is present, the transaxle will need to be overhauled.

Remove the transmission fluid drain plug and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

Install the transmission fluid drain plug.

Tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).

Fill the transaxle with clean transmission fluid.

Start the engine and let it run for 3 minutes. Move the range selector lever into each gear position. Repeat Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 two more times.

After the transmission fluid has been changed a total of 3 times, check the transmission fluid level for a final time, making sure that the transmission fluid is at the correct level.

• Like 1

There you go again with wrong information. that is not how you drain the transmission. For the original poster, here is the correct information. This is straight from the workshop manual.

Material Item Specification

MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid

XT-5-QM (or XT-5-QMC) (US); CXT-5-LM12 (Canada) MERCON® V

NOTE: In order to completely clean the torque converter, this procedure needs to be carried out 3 times.

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.

NOTE: If an internal problem is suspected, drain the transmission fluid through a paper filter. A small amount of metal or friction particles may be found from normal wear. If an excessive amount of metal or friction material is present, the transaxle will need to be overhauled.

Remove the transmission fluid drain plug and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

Install the transmission fluid drain plug.

Tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).

Fill the transaxle with clean transmission fluid.

Start the engine and let it run for 3 minutes. Move the range selector lever into each gear position. Repeat Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 two more times.

After the transmission fluid has been changed a total of 3 times, check the transmission fluid level for a final time, making sure that the transmission fluid is at the correct level.

Drain plug.... what drain plug?

sorry, there was supposed to be pictures with that. Its on the bottom of the transmission. I can't get the picture to copy. It is on the bottom of the transmission. Sorry I can't do any better than that.

You are 1000% correct. My guys at the shop could care of it. It's a really small but better than taking off the pan.

Thanks!!!

Okay, So I was incorrect. I am glad that the pan actually has a drain plug.....my Mustang does not. Considering the manual says to change the trans fluid after 100,000 I will be performing this @ 50,000 with either a synthetic blend or full synthetic with an added friction modifier. Can anyone recommend a good synthetic trans fluid ? You may want to remove the pan anyway.....1.) To clean the sediment from the pan and clean the magnet that is attached to the pan..also, you may want to replace the trans fluid filter.

Edited by BlazedUp

Okay, So I was incorrect. I am glad that the pan actually has a drain plug.....my Mustang does not. Considering the manual says to change the trans fluid after 100,000 I will be performing this @ 50,000 with either a synthetic blend or full synthetic with an added friction modifier. Can anyone recommend a good synthetic trans fluid ? You may want to remove the pan anyway.....1.) To clean the sediment from the pan and clean the magnet that is attached to the pan..also, you may want to replace the trans fluid filter.

there is not a pan like your mustang. the plug is in the case. Also the filter can not be just replaced like old transmissions. the case has to be removed and split to change it.

there is not a pan like your mustang. the plug is in the case. Also the filter can not be just replaced like old transmissions. the case has to be removed and split to change it.

Wait a sec...I've not heard of this before....'case has to be removed and split'....surely this doesn't mean remove the tranny??? I've not looked that closely at the tranny yet, but I most certainly will.....I couldn't imagine getting to the trans. filter is that big an event.

Wait a sec...I've not heard of this before....'case has to be removed and split'....surely this doesn't mean remove the tranny??? I've not looked that closely at the tranny yet, but I most certainly will.....I couldn't imagine getting to the trans. filter is that big an event.

believe or not, it is

This is just for you Blazed UP. Its the best I picture and explanation I can find, but I'm sure its not enough for you.

Transmission Fluid Filter

The transmission fluid in the sump area at the bottom of the transaxle case flows through a transmission fluid filter to the pump assembly. The pump is bolted to the torque converter housing and is chain driven from a sprocket that is mounted on the stator support and turned by the torque converter.

Fluid Pump and Transmission Fluid Filter Components

post-1501-1252986437_thumb.gif

Item Part Number Description

1 7A098 Transmission fluid filter assembly

2 7A103 Pump assembly

3 7G249 Chain and sprocket assembly

4 7J246 Stator support assembly

5 7005 Transaxle case

6 7005 Torque converter housing

As you should be able to tell the filter is located inside the housing.

There really is no need to change the filter. If it's clogged up then the tranny is already toast.

With transmissions I've dealt w/ in the past, I would disagree...but, who knows on the Edge. I'm a big do-it-youselfer and maintenance fanatic...had a Bronco w/ 340,000 miles on it before I got rid of it; 240,000 on my Explorer before I got rid of it...mechanically, both ran very well till the end, and I serviced the trannys on both yearly (changed fuild and filter on each at approx. every 25,000...cheap insurance in my opinion). There was always some 'metallic black stuff' in the pan, more-so around the magnet in the pan, and I'm certain a fair amount in the filter. I always noticed the tranny shifting smoother after I changed the filter. I can't imagine the Edge's tranny works that much differently...

I must say...happy with the Edge thus far (approx 3,500 miles on it), but would never had bought it if I'd known the filter is not servicable w/o removing the tranny. In my opinion, this is pi$$-poor design...could have put an external filter on if clearance/access was an issue....thank goodness the engine doesn't need to be removed to change the oil filter....

Druck...Thx for posting the tranny pics....where did you get those? Also, I've noticed there's a black plastic cover on the front side (area which faces the radiator) of the transaxle...would you know if the filter can be accessed through this cover?

Edited by Goldy

With transmissions I've dealt w/ in the past, I would disagree...but, who knows on the Edge. I'm a big do-it-youselfer and maintenance fanatic...had a Bronco w/ 340,000 miles on it before I got rid of it; 240,000 on my Explorer before I got rid of it...mechanically, both ran very well till the end, and I serviced the trannys on both yearly (changed fuild and filter on each at approx. every 25,000...cheap insurance in my opinion). There was always some 'metallic black stuff' in the pan, more-so around the magnet in the pan, and I'm certain a fair amount in the filter. I always noticed the tranny shifting smoother after I changed the filter. I can't imagine the Edge's tranny works that much differently...

I must say...happy with the Edge thus far (approx 3,500 miles on it), but would never had bought it if I'd known the filter is not servicable w/o removing the tranny. In my opinion, this is pi$$-poor design...could have put an external filter on if clearance/access was an issue....thank goodness the engine doesn't need to be removed to change the oil filter....

Druck...Thx for posting the tranny pics....where did you get those? Also, I've noticed there's a black plastic cover on the front side (area which faces the radiator) of the transaxle...would you know if the filter can be accessed through this cover?

I got them from the workshop manual. The cover on the side is for access to the valve body. unfortunatly you can not access the filter from there.

My information on the filter came directly from a Ford transmission engineer with 19 years experience. Take it however you want to.

Hey Kirb...did you happen to find out the rational for basically making the filter inaccessible? This one does puzzle me a bit...are the clutches in the tranny now made differently than years past? If so (no metal coming off of them), I can maybe better understand...this one just boggles my mind. Thx.

You could always add and aftermarket trans cooler and install an in-line filter before the cooler.

Yes..great minds think alike...this thought did cross my mind...kinda wish Ford would have done this from the 'git-go'. My 2005 F250 has an external cartridge filter (servicing it is easy). I'm going to look closely at the external filter housing in my F250, and see if I could use the same housing on the Edge (I like the idea of being able to use another Ford product as a reference when I need filters)...I'm certain I can order the housing Ford. Though from a quick glance, there's a ton more room in the engine bay of the F250 than the Edge...I may have to get creative...I'll see what I can come up with. :)

I'm not an expert on this tranny by any means, but I'm now starting to wonder if having another filter would cause too much of a pressure drop....or perhaps be more tranny fluid for the pump (to pump)...and maybe cause other problems (ie...pump failure).... ugh... I'm know Ford doesn't over-engineer things like they used tooo...I just hate thinking I purchased a ~$40,000 car, which is engineered to be disposible (in a sense) after 100,000 miles o4r so...I'm used to running them much longer...

Edited by Goldy