AVIC-Z110, Can I keep my backup sensors?

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Pioneer AVIC Z110 in dash navigation. I can install the unit and the PAC SWI-PS without issue as I am very familiar with all of that.

My question is this, has anyone installed an aftermarket unit and maintained the backup sensor beeps? I know the common answer here is "who cares, just add a backup camera" :happy feet: and I probably will end up adding one, but I want to know if I can retain the backup sensor function for the wife who is in love with it.

Specs: 08 Edge Limited with factory sub, without factory nav. Factory Sub out, JL Stealthbox in. Factory SYNC (obviously will be disabled upon install)

I did search, but couldn't really find anything definitive.

-Technyne

Edited by Technyne

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Pioneer AVIC Z110 in dash navigation. I can install the unit and the PAC SWI-PS without issue as I am very familiar with all of that.

My question is this, has anyone installed an aftermarket unit and maintained the backup sensor beeps? I know the common answer here is "who cares, just add a backup camera" :happy feet: and I probably will end up adding one, but I want to know if I can retain the backup sensor function for the wife who is in love with it.

Specs: 08 Edge Limited with factory sub, without factory nav. Factory Sub out, JL Stealthbox in. Factory SYNC (obviously will be disabled upon install)

I did search, but couldn't really find anything definitive.

-Technyne

Yes you can, the beeps are from a standalone module behind the rear qtr panel, the only connection to the audio system is a audio mute when the audio levels is greater than 30% volume, the mute is done on the CAN bus to the audio system and I think you will lose this feature but the backup system will still work.

Yes you can, the beeps are from a standalone module behind the rear qtr panel, the only connection to the audio system is a audio mute when the audio levels is greater than 30% volume, the mute is done on the CAN bus to the audio system and I think you will lose this feature but the backup system will still work.

Excellent news, I will do the install today and post back in a couple hours with the results.

Does anyone want to see the installed pics? I don't plan on taking pics to make a write up, but I guess I could if need be. I haven't checked to see if there are pics of this unit installed in an Edge.

Thanks for the prompt response!

-Technyne

There is a sync retention harness if you really want to keep it.

I would recommend to run a set of RCA's to the stealthbox. the signal will be alot better

The stealthbox was not wired up prior to install because I refused to use a LOC, I couldn't bear the thought of feeding my high end audio components with a low quality signal. To me, that would be like owning a Ferarri with a 45 mph speed governor.

I can't see any reason to retain Sync honestly, I have been extremely disappointed with its performance particularly as a Hands Free bluetooth device. The functions are great, but the quality of the microphone is terrible for me. I had the dealer replace it twice and it never got any better.

The Z110BT has all of the functions Sync offers, though admittedly it's voice response is a bit slower than the factory Sync. I completed the install including the PAC SWI-PS, a sirius tuner, ipod cable, two amps and replaced all of the door speakers.

A few notes:

1. The PAC SWI-PS does not have signal from all of the steering wheel buttons. The Volume, track and Media buttons all work, however the unit does not seem to have the pulse for the Sync, Phone and OK buttons. I would have liked to been able to use these for other features in the programming.

2. As posted by Tanjima, I can confirm that backup sensors do continue to function but they do not mute as expected. I suspect if I really wanted to retain the muting feature I could as the Z110BT offers a mute wire. (That is of course, if you don't do the bypass :shades: )

3. I was able to retain and use the factory Sirius antenna instead of having to add another one so only one additional wart on the top of the vehicle.

4. I'm sure this has been noted before, but the Edge does not offer an illumination wire in the harness, so you will have to find and tap your own source for the illumination to work properly. I found it a little odd that the metra harness actually had the wire, but it didn't work. I discovered this because I'm a bit OCD and test every wire in a harness prior to connection.

5. I can also comfirm that the pioneer ipod cable (part number CD-IU50V Click Here ) WILL WORK COMPLETELY with the 32GB 3GS iPhone. I have complete control, audio, video and charging all work 100% correctly.

Other than that, the install is pretty easy. There might as well be a small mountain cavern behind the radio, you could store a whole array of smaller downstream brains if you decided to go the route of a comparable Alpine, Kenwood or Clarion units.

I will post some high res pictures here shortly of the finished install. It looks very nice in the dash, my wife commented that she would have thought it was factory if the unit did not have Pioneer on the upper rim.

-Technyne

Edited by Technyne

I've really wanted to replace the factory stereo, but I also wanted to keep Sirius service. Crutchfield was telling me that I would have to replace the Sirius antenna, which was my main reason for not already doing this. But you say you didn't have to replace it? Do you think this is specific to the Sirius unit you bought for your Pioneer, or should that be the case with all of them?

I've really wanted to replace the factory stereo, but I also wanted to keep Sirius service. Crutchfield was telling me that I would have to replace the Sirius antenna, which was my main reason for not already doing this. But you say you didn't have to replace it? Do you think this is specific to the Sirius unit you bought for your Pioneer, or should that be the case with all of them?

I can't confirm for certain that it will work with ALL tuners, but in my experience all of the "tuner pack" style interfaces have the same antenna type (A square plug) When I say tuner pack style I mean one that is controlled by a radio, a sirius unit WITHOUT it's own screen.

The add on units (with their own screen) in my experience all have the circle type plug and this will NOT work with the factory antenna.

Most of the tuners are built by one of three major manufacturers if I recall correctly, the specifications of which are all set by Sirius/XM.

I would think that they are pretty interchangeable as far as the antenna's go but I can't be certain. My suggestion would be to purchase the tuner of choice from a local shop and see if it will plug in. Most of the time the stereo shops will be able to tell you this or are at least willing to walk out to your vehicle with the product and check for fitment. If they take the time to help you make the determination, I would recommend purchasing from them as they have clearly already invested in you.

I will say this, even if you retain the same antenna you will have to call Sirius to change your ESN to receive the signal. The tuner pack is responsible for authentication and receiving the signal, NOT the antenna.

-Technyne

Edited by Technyne

very nice.. well done, the photos are always a key addition. I could be into something like this, but personally, I like the Sync and I would want all the steering wheel buttons to work. 100% integration.

on #1.. was/is there not am=n after market module to retain these abilities?

can you give more detail on #4.. that is, what wire (color) did you tap into on the existing Edge harness?

on #2, why did you bypass this wire? the mute seems a useful feature, they gave you the wire, you were there... but did not hook up?

very nice.. well done, the photos are always a key addition. I could be into something like this, but personally, I like the Sync and I would want all the steering wheel buttons to work. 100% integration.

on #1.. was/is there not am=n after market module to retain these abilities?

can you give more detail on #4.. that is, what wire (color) did you tap into on the existing Edge harness?

on #2, why did you bypass this wire? the mute seems a useful feature, they gave you the wire, you were there... but did not hook up?

Thanks Lex!

I may need to clarify, there is a harness to retain the factory Sync features and with them the functionality of the buttons, however the Pioneer unit offers all of the same options (Bluetooth Audio, Bluetooth phone integration, ipod, USB, Aux input, etc..) I chose NOT to retain Sync because I don't need TWO bluetooth handsfree kits, etc.. etc.. etc..

I can push one button the head unit and say "Play my Favorite Music Playlist" and it will perform the action just like Sync. I can also tell it things like Find the nearest _______ and it will do that as well. _______ being anything from Dairy Queen, to Gas Station to Park.

It should also be noted, that I did not use the special harness that offers the Nav/Parking Brake etc.. wiring. I didn't feel spending $80 for a harness when I was going to bypass most of that anyway. To my knowledge, none of the available harnesses for the edge offer a mute trigger wire from the CAN bus.

Since the new unit essentially duplicates all the Sync features in every way, I saw no reason to keep it. I can't speak to how Sync works WITH a factory Nav, but my Edge did not have it so I may not be comparing apples to apples so to speak.

I'm guessing he used the Mute wire as part of the bypass for the Emergency Brake, so video could be watched without it being engaged

Correct. On the newer model Pioneer's the bypass is two fold (for the Z110BT anyway) First, you must ground the parking brake wire but second you must also add a pin to the harness. What I chose to do was remove the mute trigger wire and use that wire in the bypass location on the harness. Once you have that in place, you also add that to your ground and this free's up the annoying lockouts so you can enter an address on the go if need be.

As far as what wire specifically I taped I will take a look and some pictures for you. Basically for aftermarket wiring Orange/White stripe or solid Orange are generally the color assigned to Illumination trigger duties (This is almost always the case in ANY Metra harness and almost all aftermarket radios I have installed) On the Metra harness, there is an orange/white wire, but the edge does not actually have this wire active. The reason the wire exists is because the same Metra part number is used in a wide variety of Ford vehicles, some of which do have the illumination wire.

To find a suitable source, you need at minimal a test light, but a volt ohm meter would be best. Probe any of the wires that feeds a light that comes on when you turn on your headlights and look for 12 volts only present when the switch is on. I'll take it apart and let you know what wire I tapped in a couple hours and post back.

I'm starting to think I should have done a write up on how to do the install. I think I'll take some pictures and do that.

-Davin

Edited by Technyne

BUT... can you say "call Lex" and get your HU to call me? :)

Actually, yes you can. Though I would need to state slightly more information, I.E "Call Lex Mobile" to which it would respond "Do you want to call the Mobile Mumber for Lex?" I would respond "Yes" and it would dial all by itself.

One thing that I LOVE about this unit over Sync is that it doesnt have to Import the contacts/address book into it's own memory, it simply reads them over bluetooth with the option to store them in memory if you want it to.

I state again, that I can't think of a feature that it does not reproduce from Sync, I'm sure there has to be one that it doesn't accommodate but I haven't come across it yet and I've already put ~300 miles on it since the install.

I will make some videos and post them for you.

-Davin

Edited by Technyne

okay then.. I am convinced. well done. the look of this one is 10x better than ours, and if you loose no functions - hard to beat.

BTW, on this unit, how do you get nav street updates?

did you add a camera, which one? photo?

what do you think total install time was?

Hi Lex,

Updates come by way of DVDs from pioneer, there is a small charge for the discs (~$15).

I have not added the camera, but I will probably add the ND-BC2 Pioneer model, a little more expensive than some other solutions I've seen but I have the peace of mind of knowing it will compliment the unit nicely. I honestly don't care which one, provided it's CCD - not CMOS and is the right size so that I can mount it to look just like the MKX Factory camera.

I should also note that the Z110BT is capable of dual zone, meaning if you have a rear monitor (for those without the vista roof) or rear headrest monitors (for those with it) that you can have a different source playing in the back then you do in the front. If you have children, this might be particularly useful on a road trip for example, they can watch whatever movie or video games in the back seats, while you and your passenger can listen to the radio or whatever other source you would like (including DVD/Ipod Videos/external video source etc..) Pretty cool feature that I probably wont ever use, but still pretty cool.

I would say the install was about 3 hours total, though this would have been greatly reduced had I already known the locations of the additional wires I needed etc, a large chunk of that time was spent probing/testing wires to locate the illumination, VSS and backup trigger wires.

I will have some time in the coming days to take it apart and snap the pictures required to do a detailed write up for the install. I will make the write up so that it can help anyone install any radio, not just the Navigation units.

-Davin

I have not added the camera, but I will probably add the ND-BC2 Pioneer model, a little more expensive than some other solutions I've seen but I have the peace of mind of knowing it will compliment the unit nicely. I honestly don't care which one, provided it's CCD - not CMOS and is the right size so that I can mount it to look just like the MKX Factory camera.

did you see the Power Acoustik CCD-4XS camera I installed? stealth install for sure. as clean and factory looking as any I have seen. you might consider it.

I can think of one this your Pioneer won't do that the Sync will. Send you to a web page telling you all about your local dealers special deals. Or as Ford calls it Vehicle Health Reports. :hysterical:

Hahaha, You're right it won't do that..... BUT I can say "Find the nearest Ford Dealership" and it will provide me with the address, phone number and the option to navigate me to it.

On the rumor mill, there is a lot of buzz about an upcoming Firmware release that will supposedly use select mobile phones data connectivity (iPhone primarily) to access additional content, including but not limited to google and full on web pages. THIS IS PURELY RUMOR at this point, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONFIRM IT WITH MY PIONEER REP.

Of course, Ford/Microsoft have made it no secret that they plan to do the same thing to access things like Pandora radio so we will see what happens over the next couple years. If that does happen be substantiated, I think that the AVIC unit would quite possibly become the best unit on the market.

-Davin

• 5 months later...

I bought my Edge in January and joined the Edge forum a few weeks ago. I got a lot of great ideas and info. Today I picked up the AVIC-Z110BT, ordered the MS-FRD1 interface, and DIN kit. Hopefully I'll have them for the weekend to do an install. If you guys have any tips, pics, or pointers to share I'd appreciate it. Technyne, if you read this, have you had the chance to do the write-up on your install? It would help tremendously.

Thanks,

Tom

I wanted an update for those who have purchased the Z110. I am considering buying it from Amazon and all the necessary items for installation and then going down to best buy to get it installed. Is the Z110 better than the unit that comes out in March (B920... I believe)??? Also how do you like the Z110 for those who have it?

I wanted an update for those who have purchased the Z110. I am considering buying it from Amazon and all the necessary items for installation and then going down to best buy to get it installed. Is the Z110 better than the unit that comes out in March (B920... I believe)??? Also how do you like the Z110 for those who have it?

I installed the Z110Bt on Thursday, so far I don't have any complaints. It's great a great unit. I also did the Nav/ DVD bypass after some hesitation about frying something but that works like a charm. I also installed the MS-FRD1 retention harness thinking it would integrate everything nicely however there are a few minor details that I don't like. It only retains the SWC for the Sync system. The MS-FRD1 doesn't retain the SWC for the Pioneer, you'd have to also purchase the SWI-PS. Lastly, if you're using an ipod hook it up to the head unit. It's a lot nicer to see the information including the album cover art on the AVIC rather than scroll across the MS-FRD1 LED.

PS.. It looks like they'll be releasing the AVIC-Z120BT & X920BT but who knows when that will happen.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30777