After sales accessories?

There are a few websites around, as well as the dealers themselves who are offering a variety after sales (i wouldnt call them aftermarket as many are genuine Ford parts) accessories for the Edge (i assume the MKX as well). We ordered a few of them and will be installing them later this week or on the weekend. I will offer up reviews later as i get them on and have a chance to use them.

Here are the ones i have found, most are in the booklet you can get from the dealer. Some are hard to come by due to demand, others are in stock at various places:

All weather mats - as well as coming from the factory that way

Cloth mats - the all weathers from the factory also come with these mats or you can buy another set

Remote start

Auto dimming mirror with or without compass, temperature or homelink - cant see the point as the compass is already in the dash and the factory mirror also dims

Ash tray/coin holder and lighter

Cargo Logic - velcro blocks stop things moving on top of the waterproof mat

Trip tunes advanced - put your iPod in the glovebox (not the sync system)

Mobile ease - hands free bluetooth

Wheel locks - exposed or hidden lugs

Bug guard - for leading edge of hood

Splash guards - only for front wheels as rears have a bit of one already

Roof rack - if you didnt get one factory fitted

Cross bars - for the roofrack

Rear bumper scuff protection - a clear strip of protective material to prevent scuffs scratching up the paintwork

We got the roofrack from the factory and wanted to add the cross bars (which arent included in the factory issued car). We already had the cloth and all weather mats, the mirror already auto dims and we dont have a garage, the temperature is also shown on the climate control unit under the ext button. We did buy the cargo logic (would like to see how that works out), the wheel locks (for our new chrome), splash guards (to protect the bodywork when driving down dirt etc) and also the rear bumper scuff protector (always putting something in there).

We also bought a couple of extra aftermarket generic items such as scuff protection on the door sills (that 2-3" wide strip of metal outside the frame) that people seem to want to step on and scratch up rather than on the plastic already put in place. We also bought some edging for the doors (put on each side door and the trunk) so that if we are near a wall or something there is a little more protecting those edges than just paint. We bought that trimming in black to match the other black features, and from a distance you cant see it, up close it silhouettes the doors, i feel that the blazing copper metallic is highlighted by the lines.

So what have others done, i heard of some additional lights elsewhere. Has anyone bought these features and do they have a review on any of them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice with the over the edge thing!! ;)

The all weather mats that we got from the factory have been useful. We went camping and had some mud coming back in with us, washed right off when the mats were removed - very helpful.

I also enjoy the auto dimming mirror that came standard as i always hate getting lit up by badly adjusted lights behind me. Dont really need the compass or temperature as its in the dash display, but the homelink might be good when we get a garage.

Cargo Logic - velcro blocks stop things moving on top of the waterproof mat. The mat wasnt quite a perfect fit, not sure why. There is about an inch of extra material that makes one end of the other ride up a bit (we chose that end to be at the seat back rather than by the lock. The mat is rubber backed, so its certainly waterproof, there is a 1/2-inch high lip running around the sides that makes it a mini bathtub to contain spills, outside that is another 1/2-inch horizontal rim that sits on the trunk floor just like the main part of the mat. We have pushed in the edge that is beyond the lip to try to fit it in, tucked the flat outside the lip under the plastic where possible, but still there is a bit of a wrinkle by the back seat. The blocks seem to stick pretty sturidly. The instructions suggest not putting in anything that could tip (ie higher than wide), so pack with a low center of gravity if you can. The velcro seemed to stick pretty well, i havent tried with any large objects yet, only with my hands. Overall it will serve its purpose if only it was properly sized for the trunk area.

Exposed lug wheel locks were easy to change out with the regular lugs, maybe 5 mins to do all 4 wheels, just gotta keep the key in with the jack!!

Front wheel splash guards came in the same package we received yesterday, however we are going to wait til the weekend to get down and dirty on the ground to install them.

Roofrack cross bars also came, but we wont install those until we need them. I should hope it takes less than 30 mins to do the four sets of mounts! I am used spending 5 mins installing the aftermarket Thule or Yakima ones on various cars i have, its nice to have the roofbars already in place to work with. I also have yet to test the new bars with the kayak carrier J's - hopefully they fit or else they go to eBay or the local rag.

Rear bumper scuff protection - a clear strip of protective material to prevent scuffs scratching up the paintwork. We got this in the package, it was a cinch to put in once you line up the pieces. The look is very nice, a little grip to it, certainly covers most of the bumper top. It also has Edge written across the center. With the three valleys between the 4 peaks of the textured part, it is possible to trap very small air bubbles. We are going to deflate those with a very fine needle. The other scuff protection we applied on the door sills matches the grain of the plastic on the doors and such as well as the shade of black used and somewhat the rear scuff protection strip, it just doesnt have Edge written on it, but i guess you cant have everything!

I didnt see fog lights as accessories (so far). Do you have a space in the front where you could put them mounted as the regular fog lights? I am glad that i have the fog lights, we get plenty of fog here and i like to use the front and rear lights which dont appear to be legally required for safety - like it is in other countries, which is a shame as they are really quite useful at those times. I also like the rear wash/wipe, again not a requirement in this country to keep the rear view clear, certainly works 1000x better than the rear deicer that most people seem to use to "melt" the water off - or at least heat it up to get it moving down the rear screen.

So tonight we put on the final permanent piece - the splash/mud guards (the roofrack crossbars are going on temporarily now and again and certainly not until we need them). They look nice in place, but i wasnt happy that you had to drill through the car body to install them (that is what the instructions suggested and we checked them twice as we werent sure either). They are universal mudguards that can be used on the Excursion, Expedition and Escape as well as the Lincoln versions of those. The instructions inform you to drill out certain lettered holes and then use that as a template to drill the holes in the underside of the wheel arch. Not sure if i should use a sealant to stop any rust from water getting in there behind the flap and trapped though. There are 3 screws holding each flap in place, so hopefully that will be enough to hold it should anything hit it.

Anyway, they hang low enough that they should stop a good deal of stuff flying up as has already happened in the past few weeks, so should prove their price soon.

Yes there is a space for the fog lights. I might just look for some real nice aftermarket ones?

YIKES, I would not be thrilled about drilling into the body. Definitely try and seal the freshly drilled holes somehow. (clear nail polish?)

Oh and Tell me more about this bumper protector? It reads Edge, where did you get it and how much was it? Also could you maybe post a pic of it installed so i can get a visual. Thanks.

Also, I dont have a BAMR, can I get that installed as an accessory add on? (lol)

Drilling into the body is the only way to install mudflaps

It was just surprising that's all! ;)

Oh and Tell me more about this bumper protector? It reads Edge, where did you get it and how much was it? Also could you maybe post a pic of it installed so i can get a visual.

I dont have a photo yet, but the word Edge is in the middle, directly under where the latch is.

I used a variety of sites to find the best price and availability, however i bought all the stuff from one Parts Cheap in CA:

http://www.fordaccessories.com/vehicle/For...s/SUV/edge.aspx

http://www.autowebaccessories.com/ - i could put on the address, but it always links back to the home page, navigate yourself

http://www.partscheap.com/edge07.htm

It took about two weeks for it all to get to their place and be sent out to arrive at my door. They checked there was room for the charge on my card, but didnt charge until the shipment was on its way.

It doesn't hurt after driliing the first hole.

I saw all the stuff listed above and can add another useful item....a dash cover. I had one on my last vehicle, due to a slight reflection problem and found that it did wonders for the appearance and helped deaden interior noises as well. I highly recommend going with medium to dark colors to limit reflections. I have the stone interior which does generate a little glare on the dash. Due to the large defrost grille on the dash of the edge (location of most of the glare in my vehicle) I will have to see if that "cut-out" has any benefit on glare reduction. If nothing else it will quiet an already quiet interior. I was surprised to find this available so soon but, was thrilled to find it. I ordered the Dash mat from JC Whitney.com for $41 (Incl. Shipping +tax). The product is available through other vendors however, most did not have the 2007 vehicles updated. Was not sure which color would be best with the stone interior, as it is not easy to match fortunately, there are several colors available other than beige, black and Grey! I should receive next week and can supply a report on fit and finish if there is any interest?

Keep the links coming on accessories !!!!as I would like to add some contoured winter mats, etc. So far, have seen only a few including Ford accessories and Husky which looked OK but only available in black(?). I did read a post early on December(?) about one of the better custom mats that should be available the middle of the year?

I also will post my driving impressions after a week behind the wheel (and after my 1st fill-up ) to see where my mileage figures are at? This seems to be one of the few areas where owners are not entirely thrilled. I am looking forward to these #'s as well, and don't trust the estimator on the dash yet.

In advance of my review, I will say that this vehicle has dramatically changed my perspective on my commute to work!

Did anyone else notice that the recommended oil change interval for normal driving conditions is 7,500 Miles !!!!!!!

Stay tunned!!!

Red fire SEL+ with stone interior with BAMR and 17" wheels

While i dont have one of the highly reflective dashes, i would like to hear more. The interior was measure by Edmunds at 45dB at idle and only around 65-70 on a 70mph coast and during fully opened acceleration - so it might be hard to deaden that much more, but would like to hear your qualitative assessment.

I also enjoy the commute more now than before - however i dont like racking up the miles! Already at 1500 after only 3 weeks owning it, however i hope we wont take any long trips for a while.

While i dont have one of the highly reflective dashes, i would like to hear more. The interior was measure by Edmunds at 45dB at idle and only around 65-70 on a 70mph coast and during fully opened acceleration - so it might be hard to deaden that much more, but would like to hear your qualitative assessment.

I also enjoy the commute more now than before - however i dont like racking up the miles! Already at 1500 after only 3 weeks owning it, however i hope we wont take any long trips for a while.

I should re-phrase my discription from my above post, in my previous vehicle, the dash mat helped provide better acoustics in the drivers compartment by absorbing sharp sounds instead of bouncing them off the windshield and dash into your ears! ......much like adding curtains in an empty room.

In any event, I will share my impressions on the benefits I obseve concerning light reflection and acoustic benefits experienced after I install in the edge. Hope I wil be able to help those who are experiencing reflections problems and steer new buyers into the correct interior color.

Rear bumper scuff protection - a clear strip of protective material to prevent scuffs scratching up the paintwork. We got this in the package, it was a cinch to put in once you line up the pieces. The look is very nice, a little grip to it, certainly covers most of the bumper top. It also has Edge written across the center. With the three valleys between the 4 peaks of the textured part, it is possible to trap very small air bubbles. We are going to deflate those with a very fine needle. The other scuff protection we applied on the door sills matches the grain of the plastic on the doors and such as well as the shade of black used and somewhat the rear scuff protection strip, it just doesnt have Edge written on it, but i guess you cant have everything!

Hi Sim,

Where did you get your door sill protectors from if you dont mind me asking. Please can you post the link if there's any. Many thanks

Hi Sim,

Where did you get your door sill protectors from if you dont mind me asking. Please can you post the link if there's any. Many thanks

The sill protection is not a genuine ford part like the rest of the stuff. It was a roll of non-slip tape from Pep-Boys, although i am sure you could find the same stuff at various other car parts stores.

My "step" mother in law (wife's stepmom) is a bit short and when she tried to get into the back seat with heels on she was trying to edge herself in on anything that she could reach - it just happened to be the painted metal strip outside the plastic scuff pad in the doorframe. We were left with a couple of long scratches from her heels and felt it might happen again and looked around, but couldnt find anything specifically for it. This is the same type of stuff that you can trim and shape to fit various places where you need non-slip. The roll we bought was 4" wide and much longer than we'd ever need. As i said it is pretty close to the plastic inside the car, so it doesnt look too much out - however it doesnt have "edge" on or anything else like that. I should take some photos of various things i have been asked for, but i havent got any at the moment.

I checked on the rear bumper scuff protection at my Ford dealer and saw a sketch of one but no picture. It was made of black rubber with a raised "EDGE" in the middle and ran from side to side on the top. They had some in Houston and would have it Monday at a cost of $55. Not sure how it would look, I think I'll wait till its scuffed up first before I buy one and put it on. :yup:

Thanks to all of you. This is some good stuff. We need to keep info like this coming. I look forward to pics and reviews of that dash mat. Sounds like a decent add on. I am also going to check out those links you provided sim.

Oh my commute is a lot better also. I dont mind racking up the miles, but it hurts when I pull into the pumps...I am starting to feel like I have an obsessive compulsive disorder, I keep watching my fuel gage go down. Other than that I am very happy driving my Edge.

I should re-phrase my discription from my above post, in my previous vehicle, the dash mat helped provide better acoustics in the drivers compartment by absorbing sharp sounds instead of bouncing them off the windshield and dash into your ears! ......much like adding curtains in an empty room.

In any event, I will share my impressions on the benefits I obseve concerning light reflection and acoustic benefits experienced after I install in the edge. Hope I wil be able to help those who are experiencing reflections problems and steer new buyers into the correct interior color.

I have actually noted when i turn the stereo down and talk on the phone that i can hear quite a bit of echo coming from the dash/windshield - quite funny really, i hadnt thought of deadening it out with a mat.

On another note, we put the crossbars on this weekend. While putting them together shouldnt take all that long, the problem is you need a short wrench with a star head - or better yet an offset wrench to hold the head. The angle the screws make to the roofbars is towards the roof itself, so a regular wrench wont fit (unless you want to scratch the roof and misalign the screws). So that was what took the most time. I also suggest using some of the cardboard that the crossbars come packaged in put down on the roof to protect it while you are working (unless you have something better). We have also attempted to mount our Thule J-rack kayak holders on to the crossbars - however the hole that remains when you screw them up tight is larger than the elliptical bar, so we might try to find a shim or see if there are other connectors, would rather not replace the kayak rack as they cost a bit! The bars are also a little close together that they dont hit the bulkheads (best place to brace against when transporting), but that is just their design. We are off today to check with the Thule dealer on different connectors or a shim.

I also tried out the cargo management system to restrain some groceries and my soccer stuff - at least a ball and gallon of water, none of which moved.

Thanks to all of you. This is some good stuff. We need to keep info like this coming. I look forward to pics and reviews of that dash mat. Sounds like a decent add on. I am also going to check out those links you provided sim.

Oh my commute is a lot better also. I dont mind racking up the miles, but it hurts when I pull into the pumps...I am starting to feel like I have an obsessive compulsive disorder, I keep watching my fuel gage go down. Other than that I am very happy driving my Edge.

Has anyone come across a cargo liner mat for the Edge? I got my all weather floor mats from www.herringtoncatalog.com but they do not have a liner for the Edge. I want to protect the carpet in the back since I do alot of gardening.

Thanks!

I checked on the rear bumper scuff protection at my Ford dealer and saw a sketch of one but no picture. It was made of black rubber with a raised "EDGE" in the middle and ran from side to side on the top. They had some in Houston and would have it Monday at a cost of $55. Not sure how it would look, I think I'll wait till its scuffed up first before I buy one and put it on. :yup:

Do you know if you can order it online or it has to be at the dealer? I was at my dealer this past Saturday and they have nothing in their catalog for another month they said?

Thanks!

The sill protection is not a genuine ford part like the rest of the stuff. It was a roll of non-slip tape from Pep-Boys, although i am sure you could find the same stuff at various other car parts stores.

My "step" mother in law (wife's stepmom) is a bit short and when she tried to get into the back seat with heels on she was trying to edge herself in on anything that she could reach - it just happened to be the painted metal strip outside the plastic scuff pad in the doorframe. We were left with a couple of long scratches from her heels and felt it might happen again and looked around, but couldnt find anything specifically for it. This is the same type of stuff that you can trim and shape to fit various places where you need non-slip. The roll we bought was 4" wide and much longer than we'd ever need. As i said it is pretty close to the plastic inside the car, so it doesnt look too much out - however it doesnt have "edge" on or anything else like that. I should take some photos of various things i have been asked for, but i havent got any at the moment.

Thanks a lot sim! I will check it out if my local Kramer are selling similar non-slip tape. :)

They had them in stock in Houston according to the parts manager, and the one I saw on screen was in their computer catalog, but I have not seen it on Ford's web site. This was a black rubber pad with a raised "Edge" in the middle for $55. I'll be there somtime this week (hopefully) maybe I can get the parts guy to print the page and I'll post it. We are finally suppose to pick up our Edge this week.

Do you know if you can order it online or it has to be at the dealer? I was at my dealer this past Saturday and they have nothing in their catalog for another month they said?

Thanks!

I got all my stuff from parts cheap, they sent the scuff pad last week - they were waiting on chrome wheel locks and the crossbars, but the rest of the stuff they said they had in stock last time i spoke with them.

Still havent seen much for a cargo cover, plenty of liners though.