Newbie here

chip

Hi, this is my first post. I have been driving Ford Motor Company vehicles for the past 25 years. Currently I have a 2003 Crown Victoria. This is my Ford Motor Company vehicle #6. I have had some problems with my Crown Victoria and I am not too pleased with it. It once broken down on me while I was on vacation in Utah. My wife was very unhappy and told me not to buy another Ford Motor Company vehicle again. At that time I agreed with her. Anyhow yesterday while picking up my Crown Vic from the dealer after being serviced, I test drove an Edge Limited. I must say I was pretty impressed! The ride was quiet and solid. The styling in outstanding both interior and exterior. The engine is reasonably quiet and smooth running though I did not push it very hard while test driving (afraid to get into an accident). I like the recirculate button for the HVAC - I know this is a little thing, but it means a lot to me. I have been wanting that in my Ranger, F250, Thunderbird, Crown Victoria, Mercury Tracer, etc. for years!!! None of these Ford Motor Company vehicles had a recirculate button! I also like the Aux input jack and USB port. So overall I was impressed with the vehicle.

Question 1 - I live in Southern California where there is always a lot of traffic. What kind of gas mileage can you expect in an AWD Edge? I am guessing 18 mpg which would be lower than what I am currently getting on my Crown Victoria (21 mpg average)

Question 2 - I am think of buying an Edge SEL AWD. I don't need it fully loaded. I don't need the vista sun roof. I don't want the 20 or 22 inch rims. 18 will do for me. I have the X-plan discount. How much realistically should I expect to pay for such a vehicle?

Question 3 - is it expensive to insure an AWD SUV? How much more than a FWD? We have been good drivers with no accidents for the past 10 years...thankfully.

Question 4 - any known problems with the vehicle that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your inputs

Hi, this is my first post. I have been driving Ford Motor Company vehicles for the past 25 years. Currently I have a 2003 Crown Victoria. This is my Ford Motor Company vehicle #6. I have had some problems with my Crown Victoria and I am not too pleased with it. It once broken down on me while I was on vacation in Utah. My wife was very unhappy and told me not to buy another Ford Motor Company vehicle again. At that time I agreed with her. Anyhow yesterday while picking up my Crown Vic from the dealer after being serviced, I test drove an Edge Limited. I must say I was pretty impressed! The ride was quiet and solid. The styling in outstanding both interior and exterior. The engine is reasonably quiet and smooth running though I did not push it very hard while test driving (afraid to get into an accident). I like the recirculate button for the HVAC - I know this is a little thing, but it means a lot to me. I have been wanting that in my Ranger, F250, Thunderbird, Crown Victoria, Mercury Tracer, etc. for years!!! None of these Ford Motor Company vehicles had a recirculate button! I also like the Aux input jack and USB port. So overall I was impressed with the vehicle.

Question 1 - I live in Southern California where there is always a lot of traffic. What kind of gas mileage can you expect in an AWD Edge? I am guessing 18 mpg which would be lower than what I am currently getting on my Crown Victoria (21 mpg average)

Question 2 - I am think of buying an Edge SEL AWD. I don't need it fully loaded. I don't need the vista sun roof. I don't want the 20 or 22 inch rims. 18 will do for me. I have the X-plan discount. How much realistically should I expect to pay for such a vehicle?

Question 3 - is it expensive to insure an AWD SUV? How much more than a FWD? We have been good drivers with no accidents for the past 10 years...thankfully.

Question 4 - any known problems with the vehicle that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your inputs

I just wanted to let you know that while those vehicles did not have a recirc buttom, that is what the max a/c setting was for. max a/c was recirc and a/c was fresh air.

I just wanted to let you know that while those vehicles did not have a recirc buttom, that is what the max a/c setting was for. max a/c was recirc and a/c was fresh air.

I know, but I don't want to turn on MAX AC when it is 20F outside and I am stuck behind a stinker, know what I mean? The recirculate button was invented for a reason.

Edited by chip

X plan will be roughly the dealer invoice price from edmunds or kbb plus $500 minus any rebates. That will get you within $200 or so.

If you go to www.fueleconomy.gov you can compare your CV with the Edge. If you're getting X above or below the EPA mileage with the CV you should get about the same with the Edge. Again - generally speaking.