Ford Edge AWD, GOOD OR BAD?

ChuckChuckington

I am going to be trading in my 2007 Edge FWD for a 2010 AWD. What are your impressions of the AWD performance in rain and snow? My wife has a Subaru Tribeca so I guess I would be surprised if the Ford Edge is even in the same ball park performance wise.

I had a 2005 Subaru Outback and traded it for the 2008 Edge Limited AWD I own today. I live in the Northeast and last winter I did not notice any significant difference between the two cars in winter weather handling. I've been quite impressed with the Edge. I have a R/T commute of more than 100 miles so I have been through a bit of tough weather. I've been using the stock Pirelli tires but with them now hitting 35K miles, I may switch to dedicated winter tires. Honestly, in any car my experience is that the tire can be the limiting factor more than the type of AWD system.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

I have never driven a Subaru but I love the AWD system in the Edge. I have had 4 wheel drive/AWD cars for the last 25 years. This is by far the best system I have had. The system has very little slip. Last winter we got more snow in the lowlands then usual and it stayed long then a typical winter. I got to play in the snow. Between the AWD, traction control and Stability Control the car just goes. I can start the car on hill and just floor it. The car just goes, the TC light flickered and before you realize it you are going 25 mph and it is up shifting.

We drive in the mountains on the weekend quite a bit so we spend the money to snow tires and that will also make a difference.

I can vouch for the AWD being good on the Edge/MKX. I've sat in traffic on the mountain for hours and have had lots of time to observe other trucks/suvs having a harder time. I've also had the 'hand of God' traction control kick in once, and it will fix you up before you have time to be scared.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I pulled the trigger and traded in my 2007 Edge SEL PLUS (FWD) and got a 2010 Edge SEL AWD. I got the Candy Red Tinted. I tried to get the tires to spin on the rainy streets but couldn't. The Edge AWD is equally as great as my wife's Subaru Tribeca. Feels very solid.

Thanks.

post-693-1256339658_thumb.jpg