Problem?

ckr01

Burnt Orange owner here !!

I was entering the freeway with both front windows up, and the rear 2 windows down, as i neared 50 mph or so, the tailgate and backlite started shaking violently! I had to slow down and raise the rear windows, afraid the backlite would pop.

Has there been a problem reported? If the glass brakes, will the dealer replace it?

Thanks

I find with any 4 door vehicle if you only lower the rear windows then you get a very loud buffeting sound. That's with any vehicle. Plus the rear of the vehicle is acting as a parachute and slowing the vehicle down and wasting lots of gas.

What is it like when you drive with all the windows open?

I had a similar whomp, whomp, whomp noise when my father-in-law was in the back and opened the window a crack - but its the air trying to come in through such a small gap that made the noise. Driving all windows down, or at least mostly down in the back (to keep the dog from jumping out) we didnt notice any noise, vibrations etc. I dont like driving with just the rears down as it doesnt cool the car off any up front, just makes a lot of noise.

I had a similar whomp, whomp, whomp noise when my father-in-law was in the back and opened the window a crack - but its the air trying to come in through such a small gap that made the noise. Driving all windows down, or at least mostly down in the back (to keep the dog from jumping out) we didnt notice any noise, vibrations etc. I dont like driving with just the rears down as it doesnt cool the car off any up front, just makes a lot of noise.

I visually saw the backlite vibrate. It was shuttering like crazy, V E R Y violently !

Maybe cracking one of the front windows would help? If not, I would go to the dealer. I typically have just opened my BAMR on the few nice days we've had so far in NE Ohio and have had no such problems, but I know the air is circulating differently.

This issue is addressed in the owners manual and is common in many vehicles. Certain vehicles experience extreme buffeting when the windows are opened a certain amount which is unique to each vehicle. The first time I experienced this in my wife's car I thought my eardrums were going to burst! Usually opening the windows a crack usually solves this problem but hinders things for people who like to use there rear windows for this purpose. This is why I loved my motorized vent windows in the rear of my old Villager, as they create great air movement in the vehicle without these issues and it also extended the comfort zone so that I did not need to use A/C until things got really hot and humid.

Sounds like an opportunity for an upgrade if any employees are listening? I heard Ford is encouraging this sort of thing these days! This may also prompt some people to opt for a higher trim level?