Rearview mirrow w/ homelink, temperature etc.

We just bought a 2007 SEL for the wife and she really wants the Rear view mirrow with the Temp/homelink. Anyone done this and who has the best deal on these?

We have a 2007 SEL and it did not come standard with Homelink. That is a requirement for us so at time of purchase I had them install the Mirror with Homelink and COMPASS (Not temp, that is on your info. display) accessory. I believe it was not cheap at around $200 or so.

We have a 2007 SEL and it did not come standard with Homelink. That is a requirement for us so at time of purchase I had them install the Mirror with Homelink and COMPASS (Not temp, that is on your info. display) accessory. I believe it was not cheap at around $200 or so.

yeah i found the part. just curious if anyone did the install themselves and where's a good place to buy.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the wires in the ceiling of the truck if the vehicle was not produced at the factory with the auto dim feature?

Or is a rewire needed?

I put one in my wife's 2007 SEL. Wires are there for power, but you will need to run the thermostat for external temp down the pillar and through the firewall. Since I was running wires down the pillar, I ran batt power and ignition power from the fuse box and just tucked the factory wires into the head liner. It made it a nice and clean, indistinguishable from factory install.

I ended up breaking her windshield trying to get the old mirror off. There is a tool you can buy to get the mirror off, others said you could do it with a small screwdriver, but that is how I broke the windshield. If I did it again, I would just drive it to a automotive glass company and ask them to pull the old mirror off for me, they do it all the time.

All in all it ended up being an expensive upgrade (because of the windshield)... but she loves it. I purchased the mirror made by Mito Corp. They are located in Elkhart Indiana and OEMs many of the mirrors for Ford. They are local to me, so I just picked on up. Seems to me it was near $300. I did this a number of years ago, sorry I don't remember all the details. Oh yeah, I got the one with Homelink, Compass, Temp, Auto-Dim.

I put one in my wife's 2007 SEL. Wires are there for power, but you will need to run the thermostat for external temp down the pillar and through the firewall. Since I was running wires down the pillar, I ran batt power and ignition power from the fuse box and just tucked the factory wires into the head liner. It made it a nice and clean, indistinguishable from factory install.

I ended up breaking her windshield trying to get the old mirror off. There is a tool you can buy to get the mirror off, others said you could do it with a small screwdriver, but that is how I broke the windshield. If I did it again, I would just drive it to a automotive glass company and ask them to pull the old mirror off for me, they do it all the time.

All in all it ended up being an expensive upgrade (because of the windshield)... but she loves it. I purchased the mirror made by Mito Corp. They are located in Elkhart Indiana and OEMs many of the mirrors for Ford. They are local to me, so I just picked on up. Seems to me it was near $300. I did this a number of years ago, sorry I don't remember all the details. Oh yeah, I got the one with Homelink, Compass, Temp, Auto-Dim.

Cool thanks for the advice on the mirror removal. I got mine from Tasca ford parts for $300. They also emailed me instuctions on the install. tomorrow is her birthday so i will be installing sometime probably this weekend. will let ya know how it goes!

Thanks!

Hi- New SEL owner as of yesterday. I am very interested in this mirror. It is my understanding though that the SYNC microphone is in the factory mirror. If it in fact is, removing the mirror would kill SYNC. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance.

you might have to get the factory sun visor with the homelink in the visor unless they sell a mirror with the microphone and homelink.

Edited by dwtc

you might have to get the factory sun visor with the homelink in the visor unless the sell a mirror with the microphone and homelink.

I have an 2008 Edge with Sync. I thought the actual mirror piece looked exactly like the one I took out of my Wife's 2007. I will look closely at it in the morning and let you know, unless someone beats me to it.

Hi- New SEL owner as of yesterday. I am very interested in this mirror. It is my understanding though that the SYNC microphone is in the factory mirror. If it in fact is, removing the mirror would kill SYNC. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Matt. :D Yes, the SYNC microphone is located in the rear view mirror.

Good luck. :beerchug:

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the wifes mirror this weekend successfully.

Anyone looking to do this easy upgrade here's the cheapest place i found. great customer service.

http://www.tascafordparts.com/

Part number: 4L3Z17700B

Here the instructions as well: http://exchange.tasca.com/graphics/files/homelink.pdf

She can now know the outside temp. open the garage and not get lost lol!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

jimm,

have you had any issues getting this installed and working with the compass in the instrument cluster? I had the dealership to this today on my 2010 and the mirror is 100% but when you start the car, the message center says " compass not responding" if reference to the one that is in the instrument panel. By hitting the reset button it clears the message, but I still want to find a fix for this. Dealer is not sure and calling Ford.

If you got it brand new what was the part number on the package?

I have completed the install. All is working fine. I basically tapped into the power and ground wires for the existing mirror plug. I then hid that plug in the headliner. Everything is working great and it has been installed for over a month. The compass oin my mirror is built into the mirror so there was no need to tap into anything for that part. i love my homelink and found the mirror on ebay for $179 brand new. And to make it even better, it was a ford mirror so it looks 100% stock.