Towing and trans hunting for a gear

I've been towing my Polaris RZR-S approx. 1100lbs on a Loadrite trailer which is approx. 800lbs. even with me, my wife and dog and baby were well under the 3500lb tow limit, so why does the Edge hunt for an adequate gear when driving on flat highways at 65-75mph? It constantly jumps from under 2000RPM to 2500 and above...

Is there some component of the towing package that Im missing (tow program for the trans? special gearing?) Is this normal? Should I be towing with the OD off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If it matters, my highway towing mileage is around 16-18 MPG

I've been towing my Polaris RZR-S approx. 1100lbs on a Loadrite trailer which is approx. 800lbs. even with me, my wife and dog and baby were well under the 3500lb tow limit, so why does the Edge hunt for an adequate gear when driving on flat highways at 65-75mph? It constantly jumps from under 2000RPM to 2500 and above...

Is there some component of the towing package that Im missing (tow program for the trans? special gearing?) Is this normal? Should I be towing with the OD off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If it matters, my highway towing mileage is around 16-18 MPG

The computer is looking for optimum ratio of speed, power and gas mileage.. it will happen all modern computer controled cars.....

Always tow with the overdrive off. It helps the tranny and also helps engine braking when you let off the accelerator. If possible use the cruise control on flat roads. On hilly terrain don't use the cruise as you can anticipate hills by seeing them and adjust the accelerator accordingly, the cruise control will allow the vehicle to decelerate at the initial point of the climb then struggle to reach the set speed and maintain it as set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...