panoramic barely closes?

95f150

Hey fellas,

Just picked up a used 08 ltd yesterday for the wife. Playing around with it today, i opened the sunroof and when i went to close it, i didnt think it was going to close. Closes really slow and the last 8" or so i had to help it by pushing on the glass to close. Vehicle is under warranty still so i could take it in, just looking to see if this is a common problem or if others have had this issue.

Thanks,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
Hey fellas,

Just picked up a used 08 ltd yesterday for the wife. Playing around with it today, i opened the sunroof and when i went to close it, i didnt think it was going to close. Closes really slow and the last 8" or so i had to help it by pushing on the glass to close. Vehicle is under warranty still so i could take it in, just looking to see if this is a common problem or if others have had this issue.

Thanks,

Rob

I have had mine fixed once already and within 2 months had the same problem. They had my Edge for 3 days the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello. I posted this problem in another thread. My 08 is now having this same vista roof issue. It only closes to within 8" and then stops dead. The roof also makes an awful grinding noise. I'm calling the dealer this am. Any fixes or ideas this could be? since it is supposed to rain later today and all through tomorrow, they will need to get the car inside asap.

Hi,

have this problem a bit, too.

My window closes but gets really slow on the last cms.

In my opinion the problem is the following:

the e-motor of the window is a bit weak and its moving rail in rail on some kind of plastic in aluminium rails.

With the time the grease is getting old and dirty and surface of the rails is getting stump and the window is blocking on its way.

When you get your Edge to the dealer i guess they do anything else as putting some special grease on the plastic surface.

With the time this grease is getting vanished away by the window moves, dried out by weather, sun and so on and the game starts again from beginning.

Try to get some grease for plastic surfaces (f.e. for plastic gear wheels) or grease on MOS²-Base or something like that and get it on the rails every time you clean up your car.

Guess that can help.

Greets from Germany

Marc

Edited by Marccom

One further thing that came on my mind:

when you mean that the glass roof don't close completely with the onetuch-function...

that is normal and is mentioned in the owners manual, too.

For the last inches to close the roof completely you must hold the button.

Greets

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

its me again.

because this is the newest post about that theme i state it here.

Okay...as i just mentioned my vista roof was already rattling and slowing down a bit for some weeks.

Yesterday morning the situation got more difficult.

I got at about 0730L in my car and it was still quite cold...only a few °C but very sunny. So i opened the roof.

That was not a problem.

I drove to work (10min) and when i try to close the roof leaving that car it got the same so often described issue.

The roof didn't want to close completely. It stopped the exact same 8" before completely closing.

Further tryouts had no success. Every time the same picture.

During the day i made some tests and realized that the roof steering seem to "think" that the roof is closed at that position, because all programmed open/stop/close-positions were displaced about the same 8" in back direction.

Further tests like removing the fuse or disconnect battery shew also no success.

After driving home i saw that there are already some other threads about that issue. And some people told about decalibrated roof steering, but that there are no really fix hints eccept to get that car to the dealer.

I decided to study my Edge in detail about that problem and wanted to know exacty how the vista steering is mechanically and electrically working and began to remove the headliner in the interieur.

While working on my edge i got the idea to make a video about that.

I am cutting on that at the moment and will release it here...guess will be soon...so stay tuned.

Greets

Marc

For better overview i made a new topic about that in maintenance

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4863-problem-fix-for-vista-roof/page__gopid__38039&

Edited by Marccom

• 1 year later...

I also am having the exact same issue. Just purchased the Edge 3 weeks ago. Test drove the hell out of it. The roof was fine. We must have opened and closed it 10X without incident. We made a deal and purchased it. Picked it up the following day, and as the salesman was showing me and the wife how to use all the gadgets, the roof stopped working for the salesman (thank you, God). We had to push it closed for the last 8 or so inches. He tried the greasing the rails thing and that didn't work at all. So for the 1st 2 weeks, we didn't open the roof at all.

Dropped it off for service last Friday. Just called to see what is going on b/c I have heard nothing from the dealership. I was told that it is "being looked at now" and will get a call when they know something. Today is Thursday. They've already had it for 6 days. I'm beginning to worry.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Same problem here. Tracks are not the problem. I blew mine out with air and painted high quality lube into the track race surfaces. So the lube is not the problem. They were clean as a whistle to start with. I am now trying this info which if found online:

If you push the button to close the moon roof and you hear nothing , then maybe the motors are out of sync.

To sync the motors back up , start the car up, push the button to close the moon roof , if it does nothing then release the button and then push it again and hold it after 10 seconds the motor should start to move ,, it may go forward and then stop or just move a little , keep holding the close switch until the motors stop ,, then release the button and push it again and hold it down,, the moon roof motor and sun shade motor will open all the way and then close all the way and then stop ,,, then release the button ,,, and the system is synced up

there is two motors in the very rear of the headliner , one for the moon roof glass and one for the shade,, replace the one for the glass,, and after you install it , use a can of WD40 on the moon roof glass track ,, from the roof top , spray the front and rear of the track ,,( the slits in the rear of the roof is the rear glass track ) so the moon roof glass will move better ,,, then the new motor will have to be synced ,,

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/ford/4yiio-ford-edge-2008-ford-edge-vista-roof-will-not-close.html#ixzz3WmQsRfvD

Start the engine.

If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.

Release, repress and hold the glass close switch (for at least 10 seconds).
- The glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

- The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

- After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch.
Press and hold the glass close switch.

-The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.
Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

- If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.
NOTE:

The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state. Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path

• Like 1