Edge vs. RX330 vs. MDX

Osiris1975

Hi,

I'd like to get opinions on the 3 vehicles I am considering for purchase, one of which is an Edge. For my price range, I can afford a 2004-2006 MDX or RX330 with somewhere between 30k and 70k miles on it. For the Edge I can afford an 2007-2008 with 20k+ miles on it. Heres what I like and don't like about each one:

MDX:

-I like reliability, 7 seats, the interior comfort, and cargo space. I found the ride to be pretty decent.

- I don't love the exterior appearance, and it seems access to the third row is tighter than in other 7 seaters i have tried.

RX330

- I like the reliability, interior design and comfort, the voice controlled GPS, and the MPG.

- I dont like the exterior looks or color selection. 5 seats is okay but obviously I can't get that in this vehicle.

Edge

- I like the design, both interior and exterior, the color selections, vista sunroof. I like the price vis-a-vis the other two vehicles as I can get this one newer and with fewer miles than the other two.

-I don't like the reliability in comparison with the other two models. I have serious concerns about the reliability of the AWD models based on the truedelta.com reports. Would love to get more details on this issue if people have them.

Is there anything else I should consider about these 3 cars? What are folks opinions?

MDX-Boring

RX 330-More BORING

If I had all of the money the world I would not buy either. The Lexus has been around so long with no exciting changes and everyone has one. And it comes in like two colors, tan and a different tan, or black.

My Edge is pretty basic, I spent the $$ on the AWD and the shiny wheels, but I test drove a Limited and loved it. I love how it looks, it is pretty fast and the cargo space is outrageous. I put doors in it, a tree, bunches of large dog crates for a trip, all kinds of stuff and it never fills up! And the auto liftgate is the best thing since sliced bread.

a couple of things to think about, check the insurance rates on all 3. I don't know the rates of the MDX or RX330 but I found the Edge had a good rate (I went from a 07 MKZ to a 09 Edge Sport and my rates went down by a few dollars instead of being higher for the newer vehicle) . You will most likely spend more money on repairs on the MDX or RX330 as parts are not cheap on those vehicles and there service departments may have higher labor rates than a Ford Dealer (if you use dealers for repairs)

a couple of things to think about, check the insurance rates on all 3. I don't know the rates of the MDX or RX330 but I found the Edge had a good rate (I went from a 07 MKZ to a 09 Edge Sport and my rates went down by a few dollars instead of being higher for the newer vehicle) . You will most likely spend more money on repairs on the MDX or RX330 as parts are not cheap on those vehicles and there service departments may have higher labor rates than a Ford Dealer (if you use dealers for repairs)

I would not worry about the PTU, problem has been solved and if you get 08, 09 it will come with good warranty as well.

Brother is a Sr master Tech for ford and like Sparky said ford has fixed the PTU problem if I remember what my brother said the original seal designe would leak and so they have a redesigned one.

As for comparisons I will take the Edge over any of the others hands down. Another thing to consider is ask yourself if you really need AWD you may live in a cold climate with masive snowfall but if you don't get a lot of snow the FWD would prob work well with good tires and it will save you money.

MDX-Boring

RX 330-More BORING

If I had all of the money the world I would not buy either. The Lexus has been around so long with no exciting changes and everyone has one. And it comes in like two colors, tan and a different tan, or black.

My Edge is pretty basic, I spent the $$ on the AWD and the shiny wheels, but I test drove a Limited and loved it. I love how it looks, it is pretty fast and the cargo space is outrageous. I put doors in it, a tree, bunches of large dog crates for a trip, all kinds of stuff and it never fills up! And the auto liftgate is the best thing since sliced bread.

I agree that the MDX and RX are boring when it comes to styling. Those two choices are more about reliability. Having owned a 2001 Volvo S60 (Ford owns volvo, but I don't know how many Ford parts are in it), I can tell you I have suffered from that vehicle. I have had to take it at least twice a year to for repair since the warranty expired.

Now, is the auto liftgate in the 2007 models as well?

Good point on cost of repair. I did exactly as you mentioned, and the insurance cost didn't differ much. Here is how my annual rate would change if I replaced my volvo s60 with each of those vehicles:

MDX: $19 less/year

RX330: $38 less/year

07 Edge: $7 more/year

08 Edge: $42 less/year

I would not worry about the PTU, problem has been solved and if you get 08, 09 it will come with good warranty as well.

Seems like the jury is out on this. Will Ford do a recall to fix the AWD issues? I don't want to get stuck paying for that its going to cost $$$$.

Brother is a Sr master Tech for ford and like Sparky said ford has fixed the PTU problem if I remember what my brother said the original seal designe would leak and so they have a redesigned one.

As for comparisons I will take the Edge over any of the others hands down. Another thing to consider is ask yourself if you really need AWD you may live in a cold climate with masive snowfall but if you don't get a lot of snow the FWD would prob work well with good tires and it will save you money.

Has this fix been subject of recall? How will I know if it is fixed in the actual vehicle I am looking to purchase? Also, I absolutely need AWD, I live in New England and one of the regions of MA that receive more snow then most of the other areas.

I have an MKX but since the edge and MKX are built from the same platform I can say I would take the edge hands down. The ride quality, space, pricing, looks, and functionality can't be beat.

Well it sounds like everyone is happy with their Edge so far. Good to hear.

My insurance rates barely went up buying the Edge, and I was driving a 9 yr old truck worth $2700.00 at trade in time. I was expecting a huge increase. And agreed, fixing a foreign car is expensive, repairs and bodywork. For some unknown reason my dad just bought an Infinity and was horrified to find that a new key for it is $300.00, and it only comes with one. He also bought a cargo liner and some other little thing and that was $400.00.

As shown by evidence in the forum the PTU problem still existed up until the 09 model.

Hopefully they have got it figured out now with the 2010.

I haven't heard of 09 Edge with PTU problem, there might be a exceptions of course but to my knowledge and Internet search the problem has been solved on 09s and 10s

Okay so lets say I've chosen the Ford Edge over the other two. I am on a tight budget, so I need to keep it at $18k or so. Now lets talk about options, these are what I like and what I think:

Leather seats: nearly a must-have for me. I know some dealers will replace cloth for leather for you.

Panoramic roof: nearly a must have as well. I'd never do this aftermarket.

DVD system: nice to have, but not critical, and can get it cheaper after market.

Nav system: also nice to have, but can get it cheaper aftermarket I assume.

Sync: I think its critical to have a hands free phone setup. Does Sync come in the 2007 models? Are there phone controls on the steering wheel?

Reverse Sensing System: What is this? blindspot sensor?

What options do you consider important, and which do you consider to be a waste of money or overpriced(with less expensive/better after market options available)?

Edited by Osiris1975

Just my opinion, but for your $18K price range, I think you will need to get an older 07 or 08 with higher miles in order to get the options you want. You are probably looking at a typical Limited model, or maybe SEL that was optioned up. You will not get any dealer to switch out for leather seats on a used car. I agree you can add DVD and nav aftermarket if you find a car with leather and sunroof. Reverse sensors just beep when you you get close to something.

Just my opinion, but for your $18K price range, I think you will need to get an older 07 or 08 with higher miles in order to get the options you want. You are probably looking at a typical Limited model, or maybe SEL that was optioned up. You will not get any dealer to switch out for leather seats on a used car. I agree you can add DVD and nav aftermarket if you find a car with leather and sunroof. Reverse sensors just beep when you you get close to something.

I already had a dealer offer to switch out for leather seats. For nav, I decided I'd much rather spend 2000 dollars on this then the stock nav:

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_113DNX9...ation&ssi=0

I'm okay with higher miles, here are a couple that match my criteria, I've found a few that match my criteria with 30,000 miles on them. I generally assume if something is listed for $20k-$22 I'll be able to get it for $18k. I'm also thinking once we get into 2010 some prices will drop.