Auto-start electronics

I live in Toronto, Canada. Its just starting to get cold. I have the Ford automatic starter in my 2009 Edge (installed by the dealer pre delivery). The silly thing is that when you use the automatic start the electronic controls for the rear defog and the seat warmers do not go on to where you left them the night before. This means that you have to go out and get into the car to turn these two things if you wish them to be part of warming up the freezing cold car in advance of getting into it..... Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

I live in Toronto, Canada. Its just starting to get cold. I have the Ford automatic starter in my 2009 Edge (installed by the dealer pre delivery). The silly thing is that when you use the automatic start the electronic controls for the rear defog and the seat warmers do not go on to where you left them the night before. This means that you have to go out and get into the car to turn these two things if you wish them to be part of warming up the freezing cold car in advance of getting into it..... Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue?

That is pretty much standard. Some remote starters have an operational relay or something that can add such items. My remote starter is like yours, cannot program seats or heated mirrors / rear window

Edited by tpm419419

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have to go aftermarket to get that kind of functionality on the Edge. I'm having a system installed in my wife's Edge that will allow her to turn on the seat heater and rear defroster. It's also a 2 way system that gets fedback from the vehicle so that you can tell if it has started when you can't see the car.

You'll have to go aftermarket to get that kind of functionality on the Edge. I'm having a system installed in my wife's Edge that will allow her to turn on the seat heater and rear defroster. It's also a 2 way system that gets fedback from the vehicle so that you can tell if it has started when you can't see the car.

My 07 Edge lease is up in October. My next Edge will have that system :)

"I like the new page layout :) "

• 3 weeks later...

Which aftermarket system did you get ?

I was told my the Ford dealer that using the remote to turn on the heated seats is a product liability issue (I'm not even sure if they work unless someone is sitting on them, i.e. there is a pressure switch in the seat) and turning on the rear window defrost is a programming problem, i.e. the software system in the Edge will not allow it.

I was told my the Ford dealer that using the remote to turn on the heated seats is a product liability issue (I'm not even sure if they work unless someone is sitting on them, i.e. there is a pressure switch in the seat) and turning on the rear window defrost is a programming problem, i.e. the software system in the Edge will not allow it.

not true the seats work just fine on remote start. there is no pressure switch you can check by turning them on by leaning in with the key on .As for the rear defog it works as well . it will also hit the outside mirrors. I have both hooked up on my remote start.

^^ I have the same on my 09 sport.

I had to go with the top of the line autopage alarm/remote start. I did this so i can turn on and off and adjust the level of each seat independently. I can also turn on the rear defrost, and also opperate the power lift gate.

To do all of these you need to have the extra channels. Most alarms out there will only have 1 extra and that will do a trunk release usually (or another function if you hook it up to that instead).

The unit i have goes from 350-400 installed, that is without the extra add-ons (seats, rear defront, trunk). Also the bypass is another 50-100 installed (for the chip in the key). I would say for this set up at a shop you may be looking at 500-600 (give or take).

Which aftermarket system did you get ?

The brand is Compustar. The Model is RF-P2W9000-SS

The price installed is $505. The starter is $350 and the bypass module is $155. I didn't yet have the extra controls for the heated seat and rear defroster installed. Controlling the heatd seat and rear defroster will be about 1 hour each of labor at $45 an hour.

The starter works well, and they shop I go to includes set up for all the items that the factory remote does (the power liftgate is controlled by the remote starter's fob and was no extra charge). I'm going to look into getting a plain key from Ford so that I don't have to carry 2 fobs around with me. The installation shop told me that Ford sells a key without the remote built in. I haven't looked into it yet though.

I find the last two replies most interesting and informative. I went with the Ford remote start, which was at additional cost, because in my innocence I thought it would be the most compatible and functional. It seems I was wrong on both accounts, there were numerous problems during the installation and after some warranty work they had one heck of a time to get it working again. Thanks

I find the last two replies most interesting and informative. I went with the Ford remote start, which was at additional cost, because in my innocence I thought it would be the most compatible and functional. It seems I was wrong on both accounts, there were numerous problems during the installation and after some warranty work they had one heck of a time to get it working again. Thanks

This is why you never let a dealer install complex electronics. Most tech at dealers are just [arts swappers. Its not like the good ole days where they can DIAGNOSE anything. They rely on the computer to tell them what part to throw at it and hope it works.

The brand is Compustar. The Model is RF-P2W9000-SS

The price installed is $505. The starter is $350 and the bypass module is $155. I didn't yet have the extra controls for the heated seat and rear defroster installed. Controlling the heatd seat and rear defroster will be about 1 hour each of labor at $45 an hour.

The starter works well, and they shop I go to includes set up for all the items that the factory remote does (the power liftgate is controlled by the remote starter's fob and was no extra charge). I'm going to look into getting a plain key from Ford so that I don't have to carry 2 fobs around with me. The installation shop told me that Ford sells a key without the remote built in. I haven't looked into it yet though.

It will take about 15-20 mins to do this as all 3 wires are at the hvac control head and are negative trigger so you probably wont need relays either.