Cold Brake Grinding

45auto

Purchased a new 2010 Limited AWD for the wife's daily driver. Noticed on the demo ride, brakes sound like they have sand in them when they are cold. Went away after they warmed up, about 1 mile later. I tested another unit, it was also cold out and this unit haden't been driven either, so it was a good check. This one did it too, but no where near as bad and the grinding sound went away much quicker the ours. I kind of chalked it up to the fact that this other unit I tested had the 18" wheels and ours has the 20's. I know I can't be the only one out here that has experienced this brake noise while cold. Anyone out here chime in on this subject? I thought for a moment maybe Ford is using Ceramic pads and that could be creating this, then that thought vanished, as I chuckled and said, Naw, they wouldn't spend the $$ to put those on a production car. Of course the Salesman nor the service Dept. could answer that one either! My next step will be to replace the OEM pads with another brand. If anyone has already done this with success, please tell me which brand pads you used.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a new 2010 Limited AWD for the wife's daily driver. Noticed on the demo ride, brakes sound like they have sand in them when they are cold. Went away after they warmed up, about 1 mile later. I tested another unit, it was also cold out and this unit haden't been driven either, so it was a good check. This one did it too, but no where near as bad and the grinding sound went away much quicker the ours. I kind of chalked it up to the fact that this other unit I tested had the 18" wheels and ours has the 20's. I know I can't be the only one out here that has experienced this brake noise while cold. Anyone out here chime in on this subject? I thought for a moment maybe Ford is using Ceramic pads and that could be creating this, then that thought vanished, as I chuckled and said, Naw, they wouldn't spend the $$ to put those on a production car. Of course the Salesman nor the service Dept. could answer that one either! My next step will be to replace the OEM pads with another brand. If anyone has already done this with success, please tell me which brand pads you used.

Mine grinds when cold also. I try to be light on the pedal until they get up to temp.

Its a fine build up of rust on the disc. once you use the brakes it rubs it off and the noise "disappears". As noted, not a big deal and discussed on other posts.

I know exactly what it is and why others say it's "normal".

Every car builds up surface rust on their rotors but no other car I've driven sounds like my Edge does the first few brakes of the day.

Coincidentally the Flex owners have the same issue and there has been a TSB released.

So hopefully Ford will release one for the Edge or im going to have to look into other alternatives.

• 1 month later...

My 2007 SEL AWD is the same way. Here in Nebraska you get all kinds of dirt, salt, snow and crap stuck in the brakes. It usually goes away after a few applications of the brake system.

My wife's 2007 Mazdaspeed sex does it so bad the the rear disc brakes make a load "pop" in the morning when backing out of our garage.

Love my Edge....50K on it now.

cuerovman