Daytime Running Lights -- How to add?

ogie

DRL (Daytime Running Lights) show as an option for fleet orders (option 942).

Anybody know how to activate the DRLs? or is there a kit that can be ordered?

DRLs have been mandatory in Canada and many European countries for years. They are a proven safety feature.

Thanks

DRL's are only standard on Canadian models, but that's because it's the law up there. If the Edge is anything like the Fusion and 500, all you need to do is take it into your dealer. There's usually a computer flash change and it'll be activated.

Yep, you are correct.

The service rep was certain that it could not be done. Fortunately, the Technician was up to the challenge.

Only took them 10 minutes to turn them on via the computer. Cost, $95.

So all Edge's coming out of the factory are daylight running lights capable? Our dealer (admittedly, not a tech, just in sales) told us that it was only a fleet option that could be sorted out in the factory - we might well get them switched on if that is the case.

ogie,

Yes they are manditory in Canada, but you don't see it in the EU. Just a Canadian thing.

As for adding it to the Edge, don't know how, but when I had a Sebring Convertible, I got crazy and decided that I wanted DRL. I special ordered the modual (sp) from the dealer, (cost about $65) and it was a simple plug in at the fuse panel. Again, this was with a Sebring. Don't know how to do it on an Edge.

Don't matter, I no longer want it.

• 2 months later...
DRL's are only standard on Canadian models, but that's because it's the law up there. If the Edge is anything like the Fusion and 500, all you need to do is take it into your dealer. There's usually a computer flash change and it'll be activated.

Well if they are standard up here in Canada then why don't I have mine on? Guess I'll have to ask them about that when I take it in for service this weekend. Hopefully they don't try and charge me for turning on something that should have been down BEFORE I picked it up from the dealership.

Stopped at dealership today to ask about adding DRL'S to the EDGE....Told him I had heard that it's just a programming change to activate them....Will post something as soon as I hear back from the dealer!!! Hope to get them...!!!

Edited by in_edge

Found this info on the Ford Freestyle Forum.....

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:36 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005-2007 FREESTYLE'S

They're all equipped, just not activated. It's a 10 minute job on the 2006 and 2007s, but a little longer for the '05s. I went to a local dealer who was interested, gave him the instructions, and his tech had it done in about 3 shakes of a sheep's tail. Nothin' to it. Seriously, it was less than 10 minutes before I had my keys back. Simplest job you ever did see.

Put something dark over the sensor, turn the light switch to the far left, and you got daytime running lights, both front and rear. Regular DRLs are low beam headlights at about 60% brightness only. No tail lamps.

I got the info for my dealer on the 500 forum. I had to go to the second dealer, though, as the first service writer wasn't interested. After I filled out that survey bad mouthing them for not doing it and having to go to another Dealer, it got back to the Service Manager from Ford for him to read. They'll be happy to turn on anybody's at all! REALLY! He asked me not to do that again, just come to him and he'll get things done. It's just a little software activation is all.

Plug in their diagnostic thingy

select EXTERIOR LIGHTS

then DRLs

Click

They do not come on when in PARK.

• 2 weeks later...
Dealership and an E-mail from FORD say's DRL'S cannot be added.............

LOOKING FOR ANY HELP.......STOCK OR AFTERMARKET FIX !!!!

The smart junction box must be programmed for daytime running lights.

Its not a tough job at all.

The older Five Hundreds ( 2005) were a pain because they had to be tricked into thinking they were a 2006 0r 2007.

The dealer just needs to call the Tech Hot line and get the info.

Northern Nevada and Northern California dealers have done several daytime running lights

with no problems.

I changed both of our Edges in less than 30 minutes.

When we picked up our Edge, I asked the salesman to have the running lights turned on as noted above. The tech was not aware it could be done but, followed the procedure. It took him about 30 seconds to turn them on after he hooked the computer up. He commented that he learned something new. The salesman and another person then asked to have theirs turned on when he had a chance.

It does appear the radio lighting is "dimmed" as if lights are on or not as bright as I would expect. However, the radio information is still viewable. Dash lights are turned all the way up.

Running lights should always be on as it is a safety issue. With all the safety features on the car, it seems short sighted to skip this area.

Marv