Removal Ford Symbol on Hatch

jruss1601

I purchased a new Ford Symbol for my girlfriend for christmas to replace her current one thats all scratched up. We are trying to figure out how to remove the old one and install the new one. It came from the dealership with a sticky backing but also with long prongs that undoubtedly hold it in place. If it were my car i'd just start taking the inside of the hatch apart but she rather i not do that. I'm not even sure its necessary. She'd rather take everything to the dealership, but i think that could just be a waste of money. Does anyone have any insight to this?

And is there anything i should know before installing the new one?

Thank you

I have not looked, but I suspect that the long prongs are just locators and the adhesive backing completes the install. You should not need to get behind the mounting location unless it appears that there is a speed nut used on the prongs. If the prong is smooth, I doubt there is anything back there.

So, now how do you seperate the emblem from the deck lid? You might try dental floss from the top and from the bottom. If it is clear that it is working, pull the emblem off and clean the mounting area with an alcohol prep pad or swab. Remove the protective layer from the adhesive and slide the emblem into place

If this makes sense to you based on what you are holding in your hand, give it a try and let us know how it went.

you can go through the hatch to access the prongs - remove the plastic paneling on the inside of the hatch - to access and see the prongs. BUT prepare to have small hands to get access as it is tough. I know as I took it all apart when I wired up my camera. IF you could get back there, it might be nice to try to push those out from the inside to unstick the adhesive. As well, IIRC, those prongs have a little divot in them so they are more than just guides. but I only vaguely recall that as I looked as I had hoped there would be aftermarket emblems made for the Edge, but there never were so I kind if forgot. removing the paneling is not hard, so it might be worth a first glance to see if you can stick something (a long dowl or wooden spoon) up into that area to push up on the prongs to get a gap started from the outside.

you might try a heat gun to loosen the adhesive.

Edited by Lex Talionis