Anyone with rust on lower part of inner door panels?

mkaresh

One Edge member in TrueDelta's panel has told me he had to have all four doors painted because Ford had not properly finished them, and all four were rusting where the door outer joins the door inner. The area is on the inside of the door, below the trim. You can only see this area when the door is opened.

Just wondering whether this is an isolated case.

Nothing here either. The only way i can see anything having happened is if a bunch of road salt got stuck in there and started eating away at the paint - however they have only been out a short time, not really long enough to rust - how trustworthy is your source?

Something that I noticed after I bought our Monte Carlo SS was the manufacturer did not paint the door bottoms, trunk and door jambs with clear coat and the colour coat was allot thinner than the rest of the car.

I took it back and they said it was pretty much standard practice.

I thought that was odd.

I never thought to look at the edges door bottoms and jambs to see if they too were done like this.

Mind you the paint on the Monte is like new today and it is a 2000.

Our last Jeep Cherokee shedded it's paint after the 3rd year. Started peeling the clear fom the hood soon followed by the colour. Since it was not rusting through yet the warranty would not cover it and shortly after it went over on mileage. Eventually the entire vehicle flaked and rusted and by the 5th year it was rough. To fix it was going to cost allot as they wanted to strip all the paint and undersealer as the problem was in the metal coating. Chrysler - Jeep wouldn't step up at all and no one wanted it on trade as they knew the problem. To bad because other wise it was a great truck and very reliable. Had to sell it private pretty much as scrap as the body was going everywhere.

The EX LTD which replaced it is a 98 and our original intention was to run it 4 years and trade again. Now 9 years later and believe it or not looks just like new. In fact it is in such great shape I'm having a hard time parting with it. It still drives like it did originally.

My last 2 vehicles have been amazing and today still shine. I would of never dreampt 10 years ago of driving the same car for over 8 years. In the past by then the paint was shot, the interior worn and mechanically ready for the bone yard. Buy the right car today and it will do a good job for a long time. Technology is great!

Quality paint can reallly make or break a vehicle. It may be a few early vehicles which were painted on test runs may not of had the paint process ironed out. Typically though these are not consumer destined vehicels mind you Ford built allot of these for internal testing.

I suspect if there is a minor problem Ford will make it right. They really want the consumer to enjoy their Ford experience. After years of wallowing I just hope all this new Ford culture is enough to get back on track!

Just another thought, isnt this also what the 5 year, unlimited mileage rust protection is for????

Again back to the source of the info, there are a few posts on a few boards which state things like doors fell off, engine dropped out/blew up and so on, which were posted a couple of months before the cars went on sale - funny that, makes you wonder if it really happened or is just a scare story. I can tell you that my Nissan Sentra had all kinds of problems when i traded it in for the Edge, so much i wouldnt have slept at night knowing a private party had bought it as i would have felt bad for them having that pile of junk. When i list all the issues that were up, it almost sounds like it is made up as some were obscure and having so many of them really sounds fishy, but it is the God's honest truth and i still have the records of all the work done on it filed - although i am meaning to get around to shredding that stuff as i dont need it anymore.

I noticed when i was putting my mudguards and edge protection (pun intended) on that there were a few drips that had solidified under the wheel arches and small dimples in the paint around the corners of the trunk and other doors, so i feel that plenty of paint was put on the car and you can only assume that clearcoat also went on too. We shall see in time though.

Just another thought, isnt this also what the 5 year, unlimited mileage rust protection is for????

Again back to the source of the info, there are a few posts on a few boards which state things like doors fell off, engine dropped out/blew up and so on, which were posted a couple of months before the cars went on sale - funny that, makes you wonder if it really happened or is just a scare story. I can tell you that my Nissan Sentra had all kinds of problems when i traded it in for the Edge, so much i wouldnt have slept at night knowing a private party had bought it as i would have felt bad for them having that pile of junk. When i list all the issues that were up, it almost sounds like it is made up as some were obscure and having so many of them really sounds fishy, but it is the God's honest truth and i still have the records of all the work done on it filed - although i am meaning to get around to shredding that stuff as i dont need it anymore.

I noticed when i was putting my mudguards and edge protection (pun intended) on that there were a few drips that had solidified under the wheel arches and small dimples in the paint around the corners of the trunk and other doors, so i feel that plenty of paint was put on the car and you can only assume that clearcoat also went on too. We shall see in time though.

I work in oac paint quality control. every edge and mkx are checked for door paint. yes they are clearcoated. the inner areas are all hand painted

• 1 month later...
I work in oac paint quality control. every edge and mkx are checked for door paint. yes they are clearcoated. the inner areas are all hand painted

Are they being checked randomly only?. Well, I will bring my black Edge to the dealer this week as the paint on the door sills and door bottoms are thinner, thin as in, I could see the primer!. I have only discovered this issue when I was trying to fit in door sill protectors. I am not sure if this is acceptable by the Ford's quality standards.

they are not checked randomly,they should all be checked. thin paint is not acceptable

One thing that I did notice the other day when I was washing mine was that the door inner and outer were not sealed completely. For example, my passenger front door has a "pouch" for lack of a better word in the front corner where the inner and outer are not sealed at all. I am afraid that water could sit in there and cause issues. Uglymugs, since you are seeing the doors on a regular basis is this the norm?