TPMS

Does anyone know if these will work on the 2007 to 2009 EDGE

Hi 07CRUSH. :D No, not according to the information available, and from those who have tried.

As baum stated, the sensors on the 2007-2009 Edge/MKX were the "band type". That is a "valve type" sensor, which is now used on the 2010 models. The TPMS system on the earlier models will not recognize the "valve type" sensor.

However, according to others, the same TPMS sensor reset tool can be used for both systems (but separately, not with mixed components).

Good luck. :beerchug:

:hyper:

Hi 07CRUSH. :D No, not according to the information available, and from those who have tried.

As baum stated, the sensors on the 2007-2009 Edge/MKX were the "band type". That is a "valve type" sensor, which is now used on the 2010 models. The TPMS system on the earlier models will not recognize the "valve type" sensor.

However, according to others, the same TPMS sensor reset tool can be used for both systems (but separately, not with mixed components).

thanks for the info much appreciated (p.s. 2010 Edge is also banded ) :hyper:

this may be a bit off topic but is a reset tool necessary? I have an 2010 Limited FWD. If we get a TPMS warning could we just "hit the Setup button first. It will run through a menu. When it gets to Tire Pressure then you hit the reset button real fast" Source --> http://www.fordforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8939&postcount=3 I looked through our manual but it does not give any instructions on how to reset. It only states to goto the dealer.

:hyper:

thanks for the info much appreciated (p.s. 2010 Edge is also banded ) :hyper:

Hi 07CRUSH. :D You are welcome.

Concerning the 2010's being "banded" also. If that is the case, I apologize for the error.

The 2010 Fusion/Milan/MKZ had switched to "valve-type" TPMS sensors with the 2010 model refresh, and I assumed (yes, when we assume...) the 2010 Edge/MKX also had, since they share basic structures. Perhaps, since they are on a different update schedule, the Edge/MKX are switching over with their 2011 refresh (due later this year).

Edited by bbf2530

this may be a bit off topic but is a reset tool necessary? I have an 2010 Limited FWD. If we get a TPMS warning could we just "hit the Setup button first. It will run through a menu. When it gets to Tire Pressure then you hit the reset button real fast" Source --> http://www.fordforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8939&postcount=3 I looked through our manual but it does not give any instructions on how to reset. It only states to goto the dealer.

Hi k_m. :D To reprogram the TPMS sensors (when you change wheels/ tires etc.), you need the TPMS sensor reset/programming tool. You can purchase it for as little as $10-$20 on Ebay.

If you simply want to erase a low tire pressure warning, you can hit the "Reset" button on the dash. However, until you find the cause of the low pressure warning, the TPMS warning light will keep coming back, so don't forget to check the tire pressures, since that is the reason there is a TPMS system.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks bbf2530, I am aware of that. Currently we have no issues, just wanted to know for future sake, that if the sensor does go off and the pressure is fine/or if I refill to proper specs, would the "Reset" button be all I need? If I am not mistaken our tire shops such as Discount tires and NTB will program the tires when ever they get replaced. Fortunately we will not need to change tires anytime soon considering its a 2010 and I believe the Perilli's are 65,000 thread life.

Thanks bbf2530, I am aware of that. Currently we have no issues, just wanted to know for future sake, that if the sensor does go off and the pressure is fine/or if I refill to proper specs, would the "Reset" button be all I need? If I am not mistaken our tire shops such as Discount tires and NTB will program the tires when ever they get replaced. Fortunately we will not need to change tires anytime soon considering its a 2010 and I believe the Perilli's are 65,000 thread life.

Hi k_m. :D Yes, I understand. However, since your question was not entirely clear (to me at least) and there were two possible answers according to what you were asking, I answered both possibilities. The second paragraph answered your now-clarified question.

But now you are giving two different scenarios again. And again, the answer can vary according to which scenario occurs. So...: First scenario...You get a TPMS low pressure warning. You check the tires and the pressures are actually low. Then simply filling the tires to the proper pressure and driving for a short time will eliminate the warning light. Or yes, you can use the reset button. I believe that cycling the ignition off and back on (after filling the tires) will also reset the system.

Second scenario...You get a TPMS low pressure warning. You check the tires and pressures are fine. Then the system has some sort of fault that would need addressing. While you can reset the system, that will not get rid of the underlying fault and the TPMS warning will keep reoccurring until the error is corrected. If it does not self-correct, which electronic devices rarely do on a permanent basis, a Dealer visit is probably needed.

So the answer varies according to the situation at hand.

This information and even more detail is also contained in the Owners Manual. It would be good to give it a quick read, since there are also other TPMS system warnings that can pop up on the display in addition to "low tire pressure".

Hope this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530