Ford to show of 2.0L EcoBoost in 2011 Edge

Edge Guide

Ford Edge Forum - Next week, Ford Motor Co. will unveil the 2011 Ford Edge at the Chicago Auto Show -- its latest product freshening and the first to feature a new, four-cylinder version of its fuel-saving EcoBoost engine.

The latest version of Ford's popular midsize crossover also will be the first to feature the company's new MyFord Touch system, which replaces most of the traditional analog gauges, switches and knobs with full-color computer screens and touch-sensitive buttons.

The body of the Edge is new from the windshield forward, but the biggest change is under the hood. In addition to the current 3.5-liter V-6, the 2011 model will offer a 2.0-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost that delivers the same power as a 3.0-liter V-6 with significantly better fuel economy, according to sources familiar with Ford's plans.

Click here to read more.

Ford Edge Forum - Next week, Ford Motor Co. will unveil the 2011 Ford Edge at the Chicago Auto Show -- its latest product freshening and the first to feature a new, four-cylinder version of its fuel-saving EcoBoost engine.

The latest version of Ford's popular midsize crossover also will be the first to feature the company's new MyFord Touch system, which replaces most of the traditional analog gauges, switches and knobs with full-color computer screens and touch-sensitive buttons.

The body of the Edge is new from the windshield forward, but the biggest change is under the hood. In addition to the current 3.5-liter V-6, the 2011 model will offer a 2.0-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost that delivers the same power as a 3.0-liter V-6 with significantly better fuel economy, according to sources familiar with Ford's plans.

Click here to read more.

"....fuel-saving EcoBoost engine..."

GAS-GUZZLING TwinForce engine would be the more proper term.

Sacrificing cruise mode FE for acceleration HP is a bit bass-ackwards IMMHO.

Reduce that engine to an effective 1.3L using the Atkinson cycle and add a SuperCharger to bring the performance, HP/torque, back up to the 2.0 BOOSTED level.

Even better yet, use Toyota's newest HSD e/VVT-i technique to run the engine in base Otto mode, 15:1 compression ratio and then use e/VVT-i to incrementally reduce the CR as boost rises.

Edited by wwest

"....fuel-saving EcoBoost engine..."

GAS-GUZZLING TwinForce engine would be the more proper term.

There you go again, making assumptions. The 2.0L Ecoboost is a SINGLE turbo, not TWIN turbo. It gets the fuel economy of a naturally aspirated 2.0 with the power of a 3.0L V6 (230+ hp). The Edge and Explorer are pretty heavy - anything less than 230 hp would not be very competitive and probably wouldn't be that much more fuel efficient either.

• Like 2

There you go again, making assumptions. The 2.0L Ecoboost is a SINGLE turbo, not TWIN turbo. It gets the fuel economy of a naturally aspirated 2.0 with the power of a 3.0L V6 (230+ hp). The Edge and Explorer are pretty heavy - anything less than 230 hp would not be very competitive and probably wouldn't be that much more fuel efficient either.

Looks like he is spreading his false assumptions on other boards.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/members/wwest/

"1st - I've put you on my ignore list, don't waste your time responding to me. I won't engage you.

2nd - You clearly do not understand the engineering and technical aspects of these things. Your apparent recommendation to use gear oil in the FEH transaxle would void a warranty - just read the manuals on the FEH, its the wrong lubricant.

3rd - When you put out baloney I will call you on it and the more you do it the more clearly I will ID the wrong stuff in your posts as baloney. Go pass on your bum info to the Prius crowd."

Here he is being a menace on the blue oval forums.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33136-rethinking-twinforce-ecoboost/

These are just two of many countless examples of his askew point of view.

Edited by MOFSTEEL
  • Like 2

Sacrificing cruise mode FE for acceleration HP is a bit bass-ackwards IMMHO.

Please explain how a 2.0L 4-cyl, with a non-loaded turbo, is going to burn more fuel than a 3.5L or even a 3.0L V6 in cruise mode? In fact the point of Ecoboost (and even TwinForce) is exactly the opposite, the point is to NOT sacrifice cruise mode FE for acceleration HP.

1.3L atkinson cycle engines may be the future, but it's a long way off. Getting them to work in a small hybrid that has an electric motor to smooth the torque and improve the response is one thing, getting it to be driveable in a vehicle with a GCWR of over 8000lbs is quite another.

• Like 3

Prior to adopting the EcoBoost term for marketing these gas-guzzlers TwinForce was being used. I presume to connotate DFI and Turbo combination = TwinForce.

A naturally aspirated 2.0L with DFI would have a more fuel efficient 12:1 static compression ratio. In order to accommodate the CR resulting from intercooled turbo boost the static compression ratio must be lowered below the DFI "standard" thereby sacrificing FE in cruise mode.

Please explain how a 2.0L 4-cyl, with a non-loaded turbo, is going to burn more fuel than a 3.5L or even a 3.0L V6 in cruise mode? In fact the point of Ecoboost (and even TwinForce) is exactly the opposite, the point is to NOT sacrifice cruise mode FE for acceleration HP.

1.3L atkinson cycle engines may be the future, but it's a long way off. Getting them to work in a small hybrid that has an electric motor to smooth the torque and improve the response is one thing, getting it to be driveable in a vehicle with a GCWR of over 8000lbs is quite another.

In cruise mode the EcoBoost engine "wants" to be 2.0L, not the 3.5L it can "become" at WOT. The "standard" compression ratio for a DFI engine is ~12:1 not the derated level Ford uses in order to accommodate, EFFICIENTLY accommodate, the intercooler boost.

The idea is that the 1.3L Tri-Modal engine would only remain in Atkinson mode for moderate throttle openings, moderate engine loading. With low loading it would be in standard Otto mode, 15:1 CR. Only at WOT would the Miller cycle be used, the SC providing BOOST. The newest Toyota HSD already uses the Otto to Atkinson transition technique, no doubt soon to be adopted by Ford's line of Hybrids. And Mazda has already proven the viability of teh Miller cycle for automotive use.

How, without real world results, can something be called a gas guzzler? You can toss compression ratios and other statistics but until driving habits blend with function its just going to be a crap shoot as to how good or how bad it will be.

I have a Twin Scroll Turbo on 1.8L motor. I get well over 33 MPG on the highway in cruise non giddyup mode. Now flog that same car and I get closer to 22. Build technology has nothing to do with my results. So lets see what real world results say. Just like the GMC Terrain supposedly gets 32, but you look at real world and its no where near.

You remove the Liters to get economy back. You FI the vehicle to get the HP and "peppiness" feel to it. There is no "right" way

I think a FI diesel would be a great idea. Get the torque down low and then boost when you need that upper HP. But for some reason the US doesnt seem to be geared to accepting diesel *shrug*

Edited by Colonel

• 1 month later...

How, without real world results, can something be called a gas guzzler? You can toss compression ratios and other statistics but until driving habits blend with function its just going to be a crap shoot as to how good or how bad it will be.

I have a Twin Scroll Turbo on 1.8L motor. I get well over 33 MPG on the highway in cruise non giddyup mode. Now flog that same car and I get closer to 22. Build technology has nothing to do with my results. So lets see what real world results say. Just like the GMC Terrain supposedly gets 32, but you look at real world and its no where near.

You remove the Liters to get economy back. You FI the vehicle to get the HP and "peppiness" feel to it. There is no "right" way

I think a FI diesel would be a great idea. Get the torque down low and then boost when you need that upper HP. But for some reason the US doesnt seem to be geared to accepting diesel *shrug*

"..I have a Twin Scroll Turbo on a 1.8L motor.."

But did you lower the 1.8L engine's static/native compression ratio in order to take the most advantage of the turbo BOOST..??

The static/native compression ratio for a DFI engine should be in the range of 12:1 for optimal crusing FE.