Do I need to add a trans cooler other than the hitch?

I guess it depends on how much weight you'll be towing and how often.

I believe the owners manual tells you the factory recommended max towing weight without the towing package. I don't have it in front of me, so I can't say for sure, but I thought its was 2,000 lbs.

If you're going to be towing more than the manual suggests, then you'll have to weigh the potential for damage vs the inconvienence/cost of the trans and oil cooler addition.

• 1 month later...

Thank you PSUFetch!

I plan tow a u-haul trailer which will be about 2,500 lbs and with an automatic hydraulic surge brake.

Do you think the following trans cooler can handle the load:

http://www.amazon.com/Flex---lite-4118-TransLife-Transmission/dp/B00029J3WA/

I also tried to take the grille off my 2010 Edge to look at my radiator but failed to do so. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Edited by accent

Thank you PSUFetch!

I plan tow a u-haul trailer which will be about 2,500 lbs and with an automatic hydraulic surge brake.

Do you think the following trans cooler can handle the load:

http://www.amazon.com/Flex---lite-4118-TransLife-Transmission/dp/B00029J3WA/

I also tried to take the grille off my 2010 Edge to look at my radiator but failed to do so. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

I've got a 2010 sport, which has no trailer tow package available for it. I've crawled under it and it does have a factory transmission cooler. I would be surprised if all the edges didn't come with them. Look into it on your model before you purchase something that's already there.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 2010 sport, which has no trailer tow package available for it. I've crawled under it and it does have a factory transmission cooler. I would be surprised if all the edges didn't come with them. Look into it on your model before you purchase something that's already there.

You are right, bender! I checked fordparts.com and found out that it seems 2010 edge with or w/o towing package have the same trans cooler. The edge with towing package does have a larger radiator. Maybe the trans cooler on my edge is good enough for towing.

You are right, bender! I checked fordparts.com and found out that it seems 2010 edge with or w/o towing package have the same trans cooler. The edge with towing package does have a larger radiator. Maybe the trans cooler on my edge is good enough for towing.

Your factory trans cooler should be more than adequate for towing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Bender I have a quick question?

I too also have a 2010 edge sport and i want to add a hitch to it, whats ur input on towing with a edge sport? can it be done? and which hitch would u perfer?

If anyone else knows the answere to this please post too.

Thank You, AL

I too also have a 2010 edge sport and i want to add a hitch to it, whats ur input on towing with a edge sport? can it be done? and which hitch would u perfer?

Thank You, AL

Well I'm not Bender but I'll throw a couple things to think about. First, the Edge Sport is still an Edge just with some fancy lower body molding and possibly a different engine (I never looked into the sport). So the basic answer is yeah, if the Edge can tow then an Edge Sport can tow. There are people out there that tow with larger rims. The biggest thing is you need to find out if the tires on those larger rims are rated for the kind of weight you'll be towing. Normally I wouldn't worry about something like that, but since it's a lower profile tire I'd check just in case.

The platform on the Edge and Edge Sport are the same. You just need to figure out what your different parts are rated for.

Well I'm not Bender but I'll throw a couple things to think about. First, the Edge Sport is still an Edge just with some fancy lower body molding and possibly a different engine (I never looked into the sport). So the basic answer is yeah, if the Edge can tow then an Edge Sport can tow. There are people out there that tow with larger rims. The biggest thing is you need to find out if the tires on those larger rims are rated for the kind of weight you'll be towing. Normally I wouldn't worry about something like that, but since it's a lower profile tire I'd check just in case.

The platform on the Edge and Edge Sport are the same. You just need to figure out what your different parts are rated for.

I have parelli 265-40-22R tires and I called the parelli company and they said all I have to do it inflate my tires more than the recomended 35psi but no more than 50psi. My friend that works with tires for a living he checked out my tires and he said the tires are rated for 8000lbs and the vehicle weighs 5435lbs empty and with a full tank of gas so i have 2500lbs to play with but b4 i go doing this I just wanted to make sure from someone who has done this already and it works. Thanks, AL.

Thank You, AL

It's fine to tow with, it's got the trans cooler and with a decent hitch properly installed there should be no issues. The bigger tires and wheels handle the towing with ease. I've only used a class III hidden hitch for a regular Edge, it needed some spacer plates to fit nicely though. Don't go over the 3500 lbs tow capacity, this isn't a truck and the frame certainly isn't designed like a trucks; but if you stay within the recommendations it'll all be good.